Friday, October 10, 2008

Things are calming down. I think.

So, while it started out to be a bit of a crazy week, things seem to be calming down some now.

My old tenant moved out of my condo, although I just discovered he left me with a $155 water bill. He did at least leave it in great shape, so there wasn't much I had to do other than clean the carpets. Got the new tenant her keys yesterday and she's moving in this weekend. So basically I managed to not have to pay any money out of pocket for mortgage on this place, and I'm good to go for at least another year unless she breaks her lease for some reason. She's on a lease option so ideally she'll buy it in the next 12 months.

I hate landlording. I have owned this condo since 1994, and because of the area it's located in, the property values have doubled since I bought it. I lived there for 10 years, and then moved 5 months after I got married when the ex and I bought my dream house (I talked about it in this post). Little did I know I would only be in that house for a year and a half before I had to run for my life.

I guess I should be happy that I didn't sell the condo when we moved into our house, because my ex would have gotten half of the equity in it, and let's face it, he took enough from me at the end of our marriage as it is. At least I came out of it with that, even though now I own two houses and have to be a landlord. As most of you know, a year after my divorce my tenant at that time trashed my condo to the tune of $6,000 in repairs and another $11,000 in mortgage payments for almost a year while I tried to sell it. I had no choice but to get another renter in there or I was going to go bankrupt. So I did, and he was supposed to buy it and didn't, and now I have yet another renter and still haven't sold the damn thing. But I have a good feeling about this girl, and I think this time I have a true buyer.

In other news...

I'm really enjoying life without all the drama my ex causes. Not seeing or talking to him is WONDERFUL. I'm free finally!!!!!!!!!!! It's been a long time coming, and after his maniacal rantings via text last weekend, I realize that even trying to be his friend is impossible. He is not stable. (And if you saw his follow up email to me on Tuesday, you would understand why I say that) I made the decision when I was having police patrol my house last Saturday, to cut all ties with him no matter what. Even if that means it affects my relationship with his mother, then so be it. My first priority is protecting myself and my son.

And yes, Cheri...I cancelled my Vegas trip. I couldn't get my airfare refunded because I had booked it using the free ticket I got for getting bumped off my flight in April coming home from Vegas, but I don't care. There was too high of a price to pay physcially, mentally and emotionally for that free trip back to Vegas with him. He'd have probably buried my body out in the desert somewhere anyway.

So, who's got big plans this weekend?


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Oh Oh I do i do i do....i got BIG plans HUGE plans....

Jilly is comin in to town today!!!!

thats all i can say ;-)

Allison said...

Good for you for taking care of yourself ((HUGS))

No big plans except a little baby-making...if you know what I mean... ;)

Lost Soul said...

I've been a landlord three times and gotten screwed all three times. Never, ever again...

Anonymous said...

Happy weekend to you! So glad you're not going to Vegas with HIM!!!!

Cassie said...

Good, about time.

Anonymous said...

I'm soooo happy your not going, now you can come to dads b-day party! Big plans well we went to Nascar in Charlotte this weekend.. had a great time with hubby and daughter camping, racing and raking in the "free" stuff!
Love ya

Cher

Anonymous said...

oh my, i am very glad indeed that things are calming down.
i never had a crazy ex, (in that regard i have been fortunate). but i have had friends with a crazy ex and i have seen unstable in action. (knife fights, throwing fits, police involvement). i have seen this side of ugly and because of this perspective (although only from the outsite),i am glad that you and your son are safe.