Thursday, September 18, 2008

My Dad

My Dad has been gone 4 years today. I really miss him. He'd suffered from Alzheimer's for about five years before he passed away. He died two days before my first wedding anniversary.

This is the last picture taken of us, on my wedding day.



I was so lucky, one of his nurses took a vacation day off work so that she could bring my Dad to my wedding. Even though he couldn't walk me down the aisle, or have a father/daughter dance, just having him there meant the world.

When he died, I was sitting on the bed beside him, talking to him and telling him it was okay to go. We had an amazing moment before he passed, where he opened his eyes for the first time in two days, and I could tell he was on that plane between heaven and earth, where there was no Alzheimer's, and for a last few minutes we had him back. I looked into his eyes, and I said "Hi" and he raised his eyebrows at me, and I said "I think Linda is here to get you, Dad. Do you see her? I think she's right here", pointing over my left shoulder, because I truly felt my sister's presence at that moment (she had died 7 months to the day earlier). Dad moved his eyes, looked over my shoulder, raised his eyebrows again and looked back and me and I knew he saw her too. I told him it was okay to go with Linda, and that my other sisters and I would take care of Mom, and everything would be okay. And a few minutes after that, as I sat there rubbing his chest and saying "It's okay, Daddy...let go...", he took his last breath and was gone.

I miss him terribly. He was the best Dad a girl could ever have. He always said I was the most like him of all his girls, and that's the truth. This apple didn't fall far from that tree! Dad and I always had a very close bond. I was the only one he would let care for him, when he couldn't take care of himself. And it was my privilege to be holding him tight as he left my life.

I love you Daddy.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW-hugs to you today-that made me get big ole alligator tears at my desk-thanks for sharing that really private moment with us

Amy Amy Bo Bamey said...

Awwwwww.....that gave me chills. I bet you miss your Daddy! How awesome of the nurse to bring him to your wedding.

Lost Soul said...

Oh sweetie I'm so sorry... Big Hug!

Debz said...

that was very sweet Jules. Thanks for sharing.

{{HUGS}}

Amy said...

wow...that brought tears. I so can relate to you, I lost my Mom in March 2007, and never a day passes that I don't miss her terribly. I so wish she would have gotten to see me walk down the aisle. Thank you for sharing your sweet story.

ADRomine

chocolatecovereddaydreams.blogspot.com said...

Thank you for sharing that. You certainly had a special relationship with your dad. Glad that he was able to make it to your wedding.

My dad has dementia and I only hope that I will be able to have those moments with him as well, even though he lives in NC and I'm here in California.

jill jill bo bill said...

As you probably know, Amelia Bedelia and I lost our father on Jan 5th of this year. You made me cry in a good way, thinking of him and how bad I miss him. My heart goes out to you today.

jill jill bo bill said...

No! I wasn't upset at all! I LOVE to think of my daddy. Sometimes I cry, sometimes I laugh.

And you are oh-so-right about the big bangin'. VERY stress relieving!

Liz said...

That was a wonderful story..thank you so much for sharing (though, I'm glad I read it at home since I have huge tears coming out of my eyes!!). I'd bet that your dad is super proud of you :)

Rebecca Jo said...

A girl can never get old enough for her daddy's love....sorry for your loss....

Anonymous said...

You just made me cry. I'm so sorry. You know I love ya and that I understand how painful it is to lose a parent. My thoughts are with you and your family. He's up in heaven though, have a grand ole time with family and friends who have passed before him. Hopefully my mom found him and they are up there cracking jokes and talking about their family! HUGS

Unknown said...

Julie omgosh I am in tears big hugs to you

Anonymous said...

He sounds like a wonderful man. I lost my daddy about 10 years ago and still miss him very much. He died before I was married and had kids. I think of him almost everyday.
Cassie

Kim and Dave said...

It's very courageous to let someone go, even when all you want to do is cling to them forever. I'm sure that last moment with your father changed you in phenomenal ways.