Monday, April 27, 2009

I busted out my inner Interior Designer...for my exterior.

We had a fabulous weekend here in Ohio. Mid 80's and sun. Two things that never happen in April! So I had a chance to get some outside work done.

Jordan graduates June 6th, so I have a graduation party to throw and trust me, it's coming up too soon. And I can't sugarcoat this any way at all...but I can sum it up in six words:

My. House. Isn't. Even. Remotely. Ready.

Translation...I have to keep ripping down the "Condemmed" sign the city continues to tack on the front door.

So the past few weekends I've been working on things, and this weekend being so beautiful outside, I decided to tackle the patio.

It fought back.

Seriously. For every leaf I swept up, three of his buddies flew in from somewhere and landed at my feet, taunting me. It was nuts. (Note to self: Next time, don't try to rake leaves on the windiest day of the month.)

Eventually I got everybody under control, and all those freaking leaves that blow from my neighbors 50 year old big ass maple tree onto my patio are finally bagged up.

Yeah yeah yeah, if I did this in the fall when it was cool I wouldn't be sweatin' to the oldies in 85 degree sun. Duly noted.

So anyway....I was all kinds of proud of myself for getting it done. Spent about four hours on Saturday, and another couple today.

But TODAY...Kohl's was having a huge sale! And it just so happened that my old patio umbrella did not fare well over the winter (OK yeah, in addition to being too lazy to get rid of the leaves in the fall, I forgot to take the umbrella down as well. I suck as a landscaper.)

So check it out....

Here's the new umbrella:



And the tableware:



And I even bought pillows for the rockers and a new little mosaic tile table! My boss would be so proud of me for buying "coordinating" pillows, not ones that match the umbrella!



In addition to the wine glasses, I got another set of six high ball glasses which are clear acrylic with the blue color at the top and little bubbles in the blue part. Plus I got the matching tablecloth that goes with the umbrella.

And yes...all of that...the umbrella, pillows, 12 glasses, table cloth, blue wicker plate holder thingies, coasters, and the tile table....out the door for $100 and change.

Sweet! LOVE Kohl's when they have a good sale!!!! Of course there were all kinds of cutesy little coordinating dishes and plates and serving things I wanted to buy as well but I restrained and didn't go overboard.

So, who wants to come over for drinks on the patio?

Just bring your rake. There are escapee leaves out front.

34 comments:

Megryansmom said...

Good Morning Julie, how about coffee? Cream and sugar?

Unknown said...

How about a big glass of Lemonade for lunch?
~AM

Lilly said...

Now you are the second person who has blogged about Kohls, damn why dont we have one of those here. And your design skills are classy. Love the new look!!

Bagman and Butler said...

I'll take coffee as well...black. Comfortable looking patio.

Anonymous said...

I'll be over with margaritas in hand. You just pick the date! Love the colors!

Unknown said...

What great buys! I love blue and therefore declare your patio EXCELLENTLY DECORATED!

Even tho it's just after 8 am here, I'll definitely take a martini as I'm pretty sure my main hard drive is fried. Woe is me.

T said...

Some ice cold Sweet tea would be perfect with that lovely new decor!

Kim said...

Are we all invited?

I need a new patio table umbrella, I'll have to check out Kohl's. We didn't get ours down soon enough last year when the Hurrican Ike winds hit!

Kim and Dave said...

Oooh, me! Pick me! I'll bring the blender AND the leaf blower. Your neighbors won't know what hit them.

Gertrude Groggins - said...

Your patio looks great!!! Now come on over to my house and get started!

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

I got here via a blog in Australia...isn't that crazy funny...loving your post...I also had a "bout with the wind" and posted about it...love your dishes and Kohl's---"be still my heart" and my credit card is paid off right now...wooohooo

Debz said...

I'll bring the tea!!

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

Great colour coordination, girl!!

Tiffany said...

We don't rake at my house. We blow all the leaves in a giant ass pile with the blower. Then we throw them over the fence into our neighbors yard/skunk world since he's in jail. He'll NEVER know. It's been over 5 years. hehe

Stephanie said...

What a great sale! Kudos to you...job well done!

Ashley @ The Happy Little Home said...

Wow Julie everything looks great!! I love love the pillows!!!!

Anonymous said...

LMAO at Kim!!!!

jill jill bo bill said...

It looks GREAT!!!! I will be over with Tall Dark and Handsomes(shut up, it's a version of chocolate martinis).

Emily said...

I love it!! Great job, Julie!!!

jackie said...

They're beautiful, just don't forget to take them in next fall ;)

Tuesday Taylor said...

THe pillows on the rockers ROCK! They make the 'look'.

Treasia Stepp said...

It looks great. You mean you got all of that for $100. Heck come show me how to shop then.

chele said...

Looks great. I never get that lucky to find those kinds of sales.

Anonymous said...

Can I come for the party?? I think it looks beautiful my dear... Love the colors. It too, was beautiful here this weekend and I am exhausted from all the parties, bbqs we had, attended....I could keep this weather year around..until the rain hit today

chocolatecovereddaydreams.blogspot.com said...

That is my favorite color, cobalt blue. I have my kitchen accented with it. Looks like I'll be running to Kohls to see what goodies I can buy.

You're all set! Are we invited to the graduation celebration too?

travel girl said...

Nice.

I haven't done much to my backyard. It's so expensive.

Vegas Linda Lou said...

I hope that little trip to Vegas won't get in the way of your graduation prep. Gee... do you think you'll still be able to come out here? BAH-hahaha!

Deanna Bland Hiott PhD, MSN, RN said...

Porch is lovely. I love the pillows! BTW, about the dude calling you mean spirited, he sounds a tad insecure to me. You, on the other hand, are not insecure or mean spirited, so there. Also, it was rude of him not to call.Do not waste your time thinking about this one. Since he reads your blog, hope he reads this and grows up!

Lynn said...

I am loving the blue...it pops on your patio! You did a great job!

Dr. Penny said...

Good job, toots! Work is rubbing off on you again -- beware of designitis. I used to get up on Saturday mornings, rearrange a room and end up at Pier I for the extra things I needed to pull it all together. Hence another disease called viral debt!!!

Trisha.R.Jackson said...

LOVE the blues!!

Trina said...

I'll be over for a nice relaxing glass of wine on the patio. :)

I HATE raking leaves!!!! John spent all day Saturday doing yard work, and we both did Sunday. I'm still sore. Getting older sux!

jaded said...

just beautiful Julie, and i absolutely love the blue!

jaded said...

dammit--if you are taking orders...i'll take a latte.