Friday, October 30, 2009

Happy Halloween and some other crap


Happy Halloween from the Wicked Witch of Ohio.

Thursday started out great. I went to the Crimestoppers annual breakfast award function with my ex. He is a previous Citizen of the Year winner for his role in nabbing a grandfather who kidnapped his four grandkids during an Amber Alert in 2004, back when we were still happily married. The keynote speaker was Chris Hansen from Dateline. Jordan and I love, love, love his series on "To Catch A Predator" so I really enjoyed his speech.

Got into work around 10am and started what I thought would be a pretty typical, busy day.

Around 11am, I started feeling bad.

Really bad.

Broke out into that cold sweat where you are all clammy and feeling odd, which followed quickly with rumbling stomach, and that mouth watering thing that happens when you know you are about to start throwing up. Three trips to the bathroom gagging later, I decided I needed to go home. I felt so bad, I can't even tell you.

So I leave work.

By the time I get to my car (swallowing a lot on the way to the parking lot in hopes I wasn't going to hurl in the middle of State Street), I hear the little voice mail notification from my phone. I sat in the car and listened to a voice mail from my sister, who was crying and saying I needed to call her back right away as something was wrong with my mom and the nursing home had called 911 and she was being rushed to the hospital.

Really? NOW? :::hurl:::: FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I drove off and started crying because I felt so horrible and I just needed to go home, and yet there was no way I could NOT go to the hospital. I had no idea what was wrong with Mom other than she wasn't being responsive.

So I stopped by home, put on some comfy clothes, chugged down some Alka Selzer, prayed to the porcelain God for a few minutes, and head to the ER. I figured....what better place for me to be sick than at a hospital, right?

Long story short, they admitted Mom. The good news is that the CAT scan was okay so she wasn't having any brain issues. She's been fighting a bad UTI for six weeks now, and it appears she has two different infections in her urine. She's pretty sick. We finally got her into a room around 6pm and she's got an IV to try and rehydrate her plus she's getting antibiotics through it.

She'll be there a couple of days or more, and hopefully they can get her turned around. They put her on the floor that is mostly palliative care and hospice so she has a private room which is nice for us because my sisters and I will always have at least one of us there at all times.

So yeah, not the best day I've ever had. By the time I got home, I was feeling better....stopped hurling around 3pm but still felt overall yucky. Fortunately I'm off today, so I'm getting a slow start this morning as I'm still kind of queasy (sort of like morning sickness!) but I'm headed to the hospital soon.

Hope you all have a bewitching Halloween, and don't eat too much candy corn. See you Monday.

21 comments:

The Peach Tart said...

I'm praying that you and your Mom recover soon easily and effortlessly.

Anonymous said...

Sending thoughts and prayers out your way for your Mom. Let me know if I can help you girls out or if you need anything. Love ya.

Feel better soon.

And I must say...I'm SO JEALOUS that you got to see Chris Hansen. I love him!!!!

My Aimless Infatuation said...

Damn Julie,You had one of my days yesterday,Hope your feeling better by now. Maybe your Mom will be too,those IV antibiotics are the good stuff and can do miracles. Take care,thinking of you and yours.

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear about your mom, Julie. It's hard enough dealing with ill parents when you, yourself are well, but with you being sick must be just awful.

Liz said...

I hope both you and your mom start doing better!! Make sure that while you're taking care of your mom, you're still taking care of yourself!

raydenzel1 said...

Sometimes everything happens at once. It is not fair.

Lee said...

I hope you feel better and I hope your mom gets better soon. The same thing happened to my great aunt. After those IV antibiotics she was all better...she's 96.

Anonymous said...

oh Julie, sorry to heat that you are sick, I hope it was just the 24 hour bug!
and I hope you Mom gets better!!

Jill from NY

Joanie said...

I hope you and your mom are feeling better real soon!

Kim said...

Oh no. I hope your mom recovers quickly!

As for you, I would expect one to be that sick after hanging out with an ex! :)

Tracie said...

I hope your mom recovers quickly! Sorry you were ill as well.

Amy Amy Bo Bamey said...

Love DATELINE and Chris Hansen. I watched all the the To Catch a Predator series.

Sorry you are not feeling well, I am starting to feel yuck too.

Hope your Mom gets better soon, how scary for you to get that call.

P.S. If you have not received your SSS name and info please email us and let us know so we can re-send it. If you have received it please email us back with a confirmation that you received it. Thanks Julie!

Anonymous said...

Wow I hope you and your Mom get better really soon!

Seems the stomach thing is going around. I had it last night. Woke me at 2am.

Fragrant Liar said...

Yikes! Having just gotten over a UTI, I can imagine your mom's discomfort. That sucks bigtime! Here's hoping she has a speedy recovery -- and you too.

Boo!

Did I scare ya? Just testing.

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

Oh, what a terrible day!
Thank goodness your mom sounds stable.
Hope you're feeling much better soon!

Kim and Dave said...

Geez, it's like the universe said "Hey, we haven't screwed with Julie in a while. Everybody in?"

Thinking of you.

chocolatecovereddaydreams.blogspot.com said...

Julie, hope both you and your mom are doing better. I have been hospitalized with a uti and I know it's not an easy to beat type of infection. Sending thoughts and prayers your way.

sheila said...

Gosh I can't believe your mom is still not feeling well from that UTI. Those are nasty. I feel so bad 4 U. Hope you feel better soon. You could enter my relaxing giveway, should you be feeling better today. :)

Anonymous said...

Positive energy to you and your Mom..

PS - Now following.

Anonymous said...

Hope you are better soon. I can relate.

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Oh, Julie... sending healing vibes to you and Mom.

Chris Hansen? I love that show, too. It would be funny if it weren't so sick.

Feel better! XOXO