Friday, June 5, 2009

This time tomorrow....

I will be at the Schottenstein Center preparing to watch my baby graduate from high school.

What a bittersweet moment in a parent's life.

When your child is born, you can't wait for them to walk and talk. And then suddenly they are 5 years old and heading off to kindergarten, and you think that graduation is sooooooooo far away.

Yet somehow that next twelve years flies by in the blink of an eye.

I still remember what my son wore on his first day of school. And how I put him on the bus, and cried, and then followed along behind it in my car so I could walk him to class. I remember handing him off to the teacher and telling her to take good care of my little guy. And I walked out of there with tears rolling down my face because I knew he was growing up.

We had lots of arguments over the years about how much better one's grades are when they actually turn their homework in. My sister Linda was a teacher at the time, and she would sit Jordan down and write out math problems on napkins at her kitchen table and make him show her he could do the work...."not understanding" wasn't the problem....turning the work in to the teacher was! He could not fool her, or anyone else with that excuse.

When he was ending his sophmore year, my best friend Elizabeth's daughter was graduating, and E told me that I would be amazed at how quickly the next two years would fly by.

She wasn't kidding. It feels like we had that conversation two months ago, not two years ago.

And now here we are. I walked into the room to write this post today, and the first thing I saw was this...



His cap and gown, just hanging around, waiting to do it's job tomorrow. I took a deep breath and sighed when I saw it, knowing that 24 hours from now, the major part of my job as a parent is done. My son will be an 18 year old adult with a high school diploma, and ready to start college in the fall.

I feel pretty good about the job I've done. I've made parenting mistakes (who hasn't?) but either because of me, or in spite of me, he has become an amazing young man. I had a lot of help along the way. Jordan's Dad and Stepmom are a very important part of his life, as well as my family and friends. I thank you all for everything you've done for Jordan, and for me.

I've been very teary the past couple of days, as I've been frantically cleaning house to prepare for his grad party. I keep the thoughts of the actual graduation ceremony at bay, because when I think about it I do start to cry. Not sad tears, really. Just emotional ones. It breaks my heart that my sister Linda won't be there with us. She and her husband Jan were, for the most part, Jordan's surrogate parents. They couldn't have children of their own, so they treated their nieces and nephews like they'd given birth to them. I know that as Jordan receives his diploma, somewhere Linda will be clapping and saying "Go Gordo!" and beaming with pride just like I am. Her husband and his new wife will be there in person, it makes me happy that Jan will be "representing" for Linda.

I doubt that I will post tomorrow, it will be a crazy day, but I'll be back on Sunday with a recap and pictures.

I'll end this very simply....

Tomorrow my son takes that last big step from childhood to adult. Take care of him, world. Love him as much as I do, and I promise you that you will get great things in return.

He is a wonderful man, and I could not be any prouder.

I love you, bug. Happy Graduation!

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG so not what I needed to read this morning...I'm crying at work!!!!

Julie you did the most amazing job raising Jordan. I have only known him a short time and have only met him a handful of times, but I have to say he's an amazing young man, who is gracious, thoughtful, funny, trusting, and passionate. I've enjoyed getting to know him and I look forward to celebrating with you tomorrow on his new journey into adulthood.

Hugs and love to you both!!!!

Viveca from FatigueBeGone! said...

Congratulations. I feel all of your pride and thank you for doing such a great job. Our country needs fine young men and women.

I still have a few years to go to get where you are and it is a little dicey right now.

Otherwise by this time tomorrow I should be done with my DMV Bingo.

Cheers!

Viveca

Liz said...

Congratulations Momma!! I can always tell how much you love your son by the posts you write about him. He's lucky to have a mom like you :)

Congratulations Jordan!

Andrea said...

Tears....tears streaming down my face.

You are a wonderful mom and Jordan is an awesome guy.

I wish him all the luck in the world!

Congrats!!!

Domestic Goddess said...

I feel your pains of happiness. We will be attending the college graduation of J's daughter in just a few weeks. Time flies so quickly it's scary. Heads up- you're likely go through the "empty nest" syndrome, but after a few months, you'll adjust and finally become content with your "me" time. Best of luck to you both.

~Thought's By Dena~/ JDs Gift Shack said...

This post left me all teary because I have been there and done it twice so far myself.....I have one more that is in the 5th grade and though I know it seems like oh Ive got a ways to go before I need to worry about this time again..I know all too well the time flies by. The emotions that you expressed in this blog I felt them all myself...it is hard when we feel our "job" is done..but honestly it never ends....you seem to of done an awesome job with your son and he will forever still need mom..for guidance...and sometimes just to get her opinion...(HUGZ) to you and Congrats to both of you!!!!

Gertrude Groggins - said...

Isn't it crazy? Never, I think, has there been a bigger contradiction - the pride you feel for the man your son has turned into and the sadness of watching him leave the nest.
Mine starts his Freshman year of High School this Fall and I am already a mess!

Sandi said...

WELL, I CRIED ALL OVER AGAIN!

Do you think Bronson and Jordan know how much their mother's love them? They better! I'll be thinking about you tomorrow. It's Kindergarten all over again. Take your tissues!

chele said...

Congratulations. I know exactly how you feel. This time last year, my son (also Jordan) graduated and the entire weekend was just so surreal. My baby, my first born ... it was too much for me to take.

Debz said...

Oh my hell. I'm crying. Not for you, but with you. I've been through this and lord it *is* hard. But feel good in the knowledge that you've done a good job with him. As everyone keeps telling me, you gave him the tools, now he needs to use them.

But...

You want a good laugh?
"the major part of my job as a parent is done"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
*ahem*

Stephanie said...

Gosh I was teary just reading your post! Congrats to you both :)

Tiffany said...

Thanks for making me cry bitch! My little guy starts kindergarten in the fall. Now I'm scared he'll be graduating in no time.

Mindy said...

I'm starting to understand how quickly it happens. My son was just a baby yesterday, then today he was standing next to me, and reaches my chin! He'll start 7th grade in the fall, and I'm a mess.

You put it so eloquently here, Julie. Your pride and emotion shine through, and make me proud for both of you.

Be safe this weekend, have fun and take 1001 pictures. I'll be thinking about you and Jordan.
Congratulations to him and to you! You both made it through the first part of his life! ;-)

tbonegrl said...

I cried. Beautifully said!

ain't for city gals said...

Julie, You know you have done your job well when you are having these feelings...Jordon is ready to fly and you are the wind beneath his wings...GOOD JOB !!!

Kim and Dave said...

That post made me laugh, cry, sigh, reflect, and gave me goose bumps. I'm thinking of you and Jordan this weekend, and cheering all the way!

won said...

Beautifully said Julie!

chocolatecovereddaydreams.blogspot.com said...

I'm teary eyed at the thought of what that moment will mean for you. I have been through that twice and thank God for kleenex or else I would've been a buggery mess!!

The greatest thing is that he made because of the love and support from so many people in his life. What a great kid/man he is because of you.

Coloradolady said...

Julie....I know how you feel. My daughter graduates from college in December, it has not been easy, she was the baby, and I thought my world had crashed and burned when she went off to college. It took months....a new dog....tears.....and another new dog to ease the pain of my baby leaving home....crying...now that is something I did a lot of!

hang in there....it does pass (the tears) it just takes some longer than others!!

The Retired One said...

Wait until you drive him to college in the fall and have to drive off without him....you will cry yet AGAIN!!
It never ends!
I cried when they then graduated from college...
I cried when my daughter then got married...
I cried again when she had her first baby...
I cried again when she had our second grandchild............
It goes on and on.!!

Anonymous said...

Girl you have me sobbing here...whaddup with dat?? I think about my oldest graduating in two years and it absolutely terrifies me. I too remember her being born, going to preschool, kindergarten, middle school and her first day of high school. Now she is a Junior... The time has just passed us by and I want to freeze it for awhile.
Have fun tomorrow, enjoy yourself and remember to thank yourself.. You have done good mamma, he wouldn't be the great man he is without your daily love, support and guidance.. Give yourself the kudos you deserve..love ya girl

Malicious Intent said...

OMG, we are on the same wave length, except I did a post about my baby boy about graduating from 5th grade...and here I thought I was going to have a nervous break down.

Sending over a few buckets a margaritas to you now....

Oh...Original or Strawberry?

Good luck and do have fun!!! Takes LOTS of pictures!!

BlogPoster said...

Congratulations on a job well done! This is such a proud moment for both of you.

Megryansmom said...

"but either because of me, or in spite of me, he has become an amazing young man."

This says it all. Congrats to all of you for raising a fine young man.

Fragrant Liar said...

Congratulations, Jordan! And congratulations, Mama! I feel your pride in that nice tribute to your boy. You have every reason to be overjoyed.

Unknown said...

Congrats to Jordan!
Congrats to Mom!
A new chapter is now opening for you and your son. My warmest wishes to you both!
Let those Mom-Tears roll, you have earned each one of them!
~AM

Anonymous said...

Great, just great. Here I am in the midst of Floruba, watching the rain beat holes in my happiness and YOU write about something I haven't experienced in 20 years. I wasn't as smart as you are. I didn't see anything but the end of tuition. dumb dumb dumb

Anonymous said...

great I am a blubbering idiot now.. wow.. what to say.. he is a great "guy" always has been a terrific Kid.. he would have been even if you DIDN't iron his underware! Congrats to both of you for this amazing journey, it is not over my friend but just the beginning of a new phase of life, problems and he will probably need his mom now sometimes more than ever. Have a great day!!

Cher

travel girl said...

Tears of joy for you friend and a toast to the wonderful Mom you are and your fab son!!