Friday, June 12, 2009

I think I need a blogging time out.

When I started this blog, it was meant to be a diary of sorts, about my foray back in to the dating world and my attempt at finally losing the weight I've been carrying for years.

Over time, I started blogging every day, and building readership. I've met some really wonderful people here, some of whom I've actually gotten to spend time with in person, and I've been lucky to never really have gotten ugly or flaming comments. Even my anonymous stalker dropped me after awhile.

I don't even think I've pissed anyone off, which is highly unusual for me!

But lately I find myself scrambling for something to post every day. I recycle emails in an effort to post an amusing blog, and use last years stuff on my Sunday Rewind feature.

Yesterday I posted about Penis and Dildo festivals. New low or new high for me? And I find myself reviewing men from my past with my girlfriends and saying "Remember that guy with the weird spot on his front tooth...was that anything fun to write about?"

I'm wondering if it's time to take a bloggy break and recharge my batteries?

I can't quit you. But I think I may start posting maybe three or four times a week instead of seven. At least temporarily.

I know that I will lose readers by not having something new and entertaining everyday....people come and go and I get that. I know we are all busy, and with summer coming there will be less and less interest in sitting in front of the computer reading when the sunshine and warm weather beckons.

I guess I just don't feel fresh anymore. (How many of you are reading this and wondering if you just walked into the middle of a douche commercial?)

I feel like I'm just reverbalizing the same old stale material all the time.

So I think I'm gonna take the weekend off, and figure out what I want to do from here. Unless something really exciting happens this weekend that I can't wait to post about...I'll be back Monday with a new perspective.

Oh by the way...Saturday night I'll be spending it with Danica and these two ladies.

I. Can't. Wait.

27 comments:

Liz said...

I'll be here when you post again! You can't get rid of me that easily :) Have fun at Heart!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm not going anywhere!

And of course I'll see your happy ass on Saturday!

Andrea said...

Take all the time you need, you're worth waiting for ;)

Joanie said...

I thought your dildo post was hysterical!

You won't see me deleting you from my list!

Bagman and Butler said...

I have decided that everyone has to periodically post a blog about having too many blogs and needing to take a break from blogging. I may have to take a break from commenting. You won't lose many readers...you won't lose me. Bagman, of course, is envying Danica who is apparently going to get to see your ass.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

I post every few days, whenever the mood strikes. I like it that way and I've continued to build followers. Do what works for you - that's key.
PS: Say, "hello" to the Wilson sisters for me.;-)

Mindy said...

I understand. You need to take a break...I'll be here waiting- sniff, sniff- for you.

I think I would post more too except that my particular stalker is my ex-husband. It gives me the heebie-jeebies!

Anyway- Have a great weekend. I'll just be here stalking, I mean waiting! for you you when you get back. :-P

Cajoh said...

I have been struggling to find things to post. My problem is that I have so many drafts that I don't complete any of them.

I'd go for quality for quantity any day. I don't mind you cutting back— I'll still be around.

Anonymous said...

I love this post, but one of your readers needs to get a life (you know who you are)

Tiffany said...

Just blog when you feel like it. Blogging isn't a job, it's something to do for fun. I lost almost all my readers but I don't give a shit. I post retarded stuff so it was bound to happen one day.

travel girl said...

Well,if you are not blogging everyday it's O.V.E.R!

NOT!

BTW, I sooooooo wish I was going with you to see heart:(

Kim said...

I know how you feel and I won't be around every day during summer either! I'll be here when you get back, though.

Belle's Blog said...

Enjoy ur post... take the break you need... anyone who writes themself will understand! Have an amazing weekend blogging friend! Belle!

Trina said...

You won't lose me as a reader! I get so many laughs from you. Take whatever time you need to recharge, but DO NOT leave for good! :)

Debz said...

Well you know how I'm feelin about all this.
But I'll hunt your ass down with my Blackberry if I need to. Don't make me.

J'Ollie Primitives said...

Quality not quantity sweetie. Your recycled posts are great. If you feel the need to take a little time off go for it. (sob) I haven't posted since (cringe) February ~ just haven't had the time & motivation. Drama and stories aplenty, but they'll have to wait....

Anonymous said...

Weird. I've been posting every day for 8 years, and a few days ago I started thinking....."why"......"but they WANT to read about your life"......not....I dunno why people even bother reading my posts at all. Maybe it's the community COMMENTS that allow everyone to feel like we're getting together. Lately I've just run out of things to say!

If you think about it, we MAKE it a JOB. On the days that I just relax (rarely) and just READ other blogs, I find it so enjoyable to see what OTHERS are thinking and stop trying to MAKE myself come up with something.

It's NOT life or death.....yet.

chocolatecovereddaydreams.blogspot.com said...

Only post when you feel like it. It should never be a job to come up with posts. If it does, then you'll lose the enjoyment of doing it.

As long as you still blog, that's good enough for me. I'd miss you if you didn't blog at all.

Have fun at the concert! I love Wilson Phillips!

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Jules, I don't think there's anything wrong with posting just a couple of times a week. The last thing your readers want is for you to burn out. Blogging takes a tremendous amount of time, and blogging well takes even more out of you. Your blog is high quality--even with the penises and dildos (ha!)--and that's why you have so many faithful readers. (Suppressing my follower envy now.)

Take a break and blog on a schedule you feel comfortable with. We'll all stay with you.

Fragrant Liar said...

I understand completely. Even with a new blog, I wonder how if I'll be able to continue at the pace of 3+ posts a week. I'm trying to write a novel and hold down a full-time job at the same time. It takes a lot out of you. So I get it. But I really enjoy your blog, so if you're still posting, I'm still visiting, once a week or seven times.

Give Ann and Nancy my best woot woots! Oh-oh-oh, Barracuda!

Paige said...

I for one will be here whenever you post---I always am, even though I do not comment.

Helen said...

I can't imagine most of us haven't felt this way from time to time! I love the 'blogging without obligation' logo I see on many blogs! And I try to adopt that .... I may go a week between posts but I know the wonderful people who actually read what I write will be there for me when they see I've posted again. And if they aren't??? That's OK too because a lot of what I write is really for myself AND for generations of my family to read 100+ years from now.

Malicious Intent said...

I think you should post when you have something to post. If that is once a day or once a week or once a month. I never believe it should be a schedule, but just as how life roles out and inspires us.

I have been blogging more lately, only because I had been so busy and have so much that I stored up and so much going on. It just sorta rolls off of me in the morning and there it is. Very little thought goes into it (which is very obvious) but I do it for me.

That is what you should do...do it for you. If folks are interested, they will return to read. Don't fall under the pressures to produce to make others happy, make you happy.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

And that is why my blog is private ;) I did not want to feel pressure to entertain the masses lol! The thing is, if your goal is adding to your followers list you are going to have some expectations by your readers. You just need to decide if you're posting for yourself and happen to enjoy sharing your thoughts too (no matter how may followers you have) or if you really are more interested in the entertainment factor (your previous "looking for more followers" post.) Does that make sense? With all of that being said I'm glad I stumbled upon your blog! I have enjoyed reading your posts :) Do what makes you happy.. that's all I can say :) Life is too short to do something that you don't enjoy.

Coloradolady said...

Julie...

Take a break....dance....maybe even break dance!!!! We will be here when you get back.....

Girl Tornado said...

The dildo post WAS funny, but really. That poor lil town needs more to do; obviously they're quite bored...

You post every day? Wow. I post 3-4 times a week, and sometimes that starts to seem to crazy for me.

You've got a ton of devoted readers; they will be here for you! ;)

Anonymous said...

hey you....i am with you...I have not been posting not near what I was. Mine is more because I have had NO time with everyone home for the summer. I will hopefully update mine monday. Miss ya