Tattoos are addicting. I love mine, and I want more. Problem is, I'm not big on them being seen by the general public. If you see mine, it's because I know you really well! They aren't viewable unless I'm semi-naked. (Which is not a view I really care to share with anyone at this point!)
But, seeing how we're all friends here, I'll share mine with you.
This one I've had for 20 years now. It's on my right hip, between my hip bone and my...well you know. It's hidden by all versions of underpants, thongs, bathing suits, etc! It's a butterfly landing on a rose vine. Keep in mind, I was laying on the floor with the camera held above my hip trying to take this picture! And since my stomach is

It's not nearly as big as it looks. It's only about 3" tall. Unfortunately you can't see the big picture but trust me when I say, the band of my pants was barely covering the Promised Land as this was taken. Not sure why this looks like it's at my waist..it's not. I think that's where I was twisting in an awkward position trying to get a clear picture! If it helps, at the very bottom of the tattoo you see a little single vine, and it appears to faintly extend all the way to the right of the picture...that little faint line is my C-section scar. (TMI, right?) That should help explain where this tattoo is.
OK so flash forward to 2005. Worst year of my life because that's when my marriage went to hell. Right before the divorce was final, I went and got a "tramp stamp"...lower back tattoo with the word "Faith" in it. Believe me, I needed all the faith I could to believe I was going to survive that mess. It was so, so horrible, you just can't imagine. (Well, some of you can!!) So here's what that one looks like:

Ultimately what I want to do is add the words "Hope" and "Love" to the Faith one. And some more flowers, and stuff. Not sure how I want to position it yet, thus the reason it hasn't been done yet!
So we have an appointment on December 30th to get Jordan's tattoo, and I want to get one to commemorate him turning 18 and getting one too! I just don't know what I want, or where I want to put it. As I said earlier, I'm not good with tattoos that show. The only exception to that might be one on the inside of my ankle. Nothing big, just maybe a little vine of flowers. Oooh, I could get a vine with 18 flowers on it, that would be appropriate for his 18th birthday! I would get one on my foot but it's hard to let them heal properly in the winter.
Any ideas? Suggestions? Tell me what you think would be a good tattoo and where should I put it. Oh, and tell me about yours as well!!!!
27 comments:
I think that is a very cool tattoo! Did you ever think your 18 year old would come up with something like that?? :) Sorry..no ideas for you...and I don't have any tattoos!
Well all my tattoos show, but lets focus on you for a minute, shall we?
"hope" and "love" can be positioned under "faith" but off centered - one to the right and one to the left. I think that would look cool.
As far as something to commemorate his 18th, I was thinking something like an 18 point starburst, but when I drew it out, it looked like a dandelion waiting to be blown out. Not that pretty - lol.
So I will put my thinking cap on for some more ideas.
Are you set on the inside of your ankle? Cause then I have to think with that area in mind.
I have no cool ideas for the 18 one. Maybe it's too early. I agree with Deb on the Hope and Love placement. You could add Jordan's initials (or whatever symbol reminds you of him)next to the word Love and just keep it all together on your lower back.
tattoos are so personal most people have a story behind them...I really like yours...
and I like deb's idea of a starburst or star like he is your shining star...
very cool Julie very cool
julie...You've been offered some great ideas. I'm tattooless-figured after going through natural childbirth three times, that is more than enough self-inflicted pain in one lifetime!
~AirmanMom returning to her blog...
I don't have any tattoo ideas, but I am glad to know someone with a son who has made it out of a terrible marriage and outcome for the child is a good one. I worry about my two boys, 16 and 13 and if they have been scarred too deep for the terrible things they saw. I've been divorced 8 years now and I do have a good relationship with their dad now and he is involved with their lives. I just hope they don't remember the really ugly stuff! Your guy sounds very mature and that he is well on his way to a good adulthood. (thanks to his mom I'm sure!) Have a great day!
I have 4 tattoos, a lizard on my ankle, a pair of pheonix on my hip/stomach, my daughter Yuna's name on my calf, and full angel wings and angelic symbol on my back. I love them all and each carries a very special meaning.
Now for you,
I do like leg tattoos a lot so that's a great idea. You might also want to think about something on your back, on the top section of one of your shoulders. Something there could symbolize that he's got your back, or that he's always there on your side supporting you. Kind of like a guardian angel on your shoulder you know?
As far as the design, it's so personal that I can't give you advice on WHAT to get, but I will tell you to go with your heart and your gut feeling. When you see something you love, you know it.
Can't wait to see what you decide on!!!
OH and before I go,
FYI, I've posted my contest / giveaway on my blog today. Come on over and enter!
Direct link to the contest for anyone that is interested:
Enter Here!
Now here's a good example of a show stopper that no longer matters. I can't stand tattoos or piercings, I usually avoid people who have them. But if I had done that with you (had I known you had them)I would have never known what a wonderful person you were and how lame my thinking really can be...
That goes for the rest of you ladies as well, lol.
@vinnie...so if I get an "I heart Vinnie" tattoo you'll still love me?
Oh my goodness Jules I think if you did that I'd have to fly out and marry you the same day, lol.
I have no ideas because I now hate my tattoo and wish I wouldn't have mutilated my body like that. Sorry.
But good luck finding one!!! Gotta love your kid. Super great kid you have!
How about a winking devil on the inside of your thigh???
:o)
I know, I have an odd sense of humor
I've got to figure out what I want! It's funny...my first tattoo had about 5 minutes of thought put into it. My friends called me and said "Hey, we're going to get tattoos, wanna go?" Sure. Went there, saw a girly butterfly one and said "That works". And never regretted it.
My divorce tattoo...I'd been wanting a low back one for awhile, and going through the divorce took so much out of me that I had to do something good for myself...and I knew it had to do with having "Faith". So that one didn't get a ton of thought either, and I've never regretted it.
So this one is probably the one I'm thinking the most about! I just need to decide if I want it on my inner ankle for sure, and if so, what I want there. It has to be feminine and sexy, but I'd like it to relate to my son getting his for his 18th birthday.
So much thinking...so little time.
One more thing I learned we have in common. I also have two tattoo's, one on the top of my foot (matches my daughters) and one on the back of my right shoulder. I too, don't like them to show AND My Mom doesn't know. I have to be sure I have socks on in front of my Mom!!! I love my tattoo's and you are right about them being addicting. One of these days I will blog about them and show pictures. It will be fun because some of the prude members of my family will be drop jawed and then they will think to themselves "Oh, I'm not surprised"!!! I also have my belly button pierced!!! I had it done when I turned 40! I don't show it because I have a 47 year old belly but hey, I like it... I agree with Soxy Deb about where to place your "love" and “faith". What about doing 18 little tiny stars around your ankle or somewhere on your foot for the one to represent your son maybe adding his initials somehow???
First, your tattoos are goregous!
Second, I think you should put your next tatto on the other side of the promise land (so loving that ). Your idea on adding to the lower back though is great too.(Deb's idea is cool!)
I don't have any tattoos. Almost got one in a drunkin haze in TJ in 1982! so glad I didn't, hello Hepatitis C or worse, AIDS!
I have wanted one for the longest time, not sure if I ever will.
Oh, how is your neck? I hope you are on the recovery now.
And I'm feeling much better:)
I left you a big long comment and it got wiped out by my browser. I'm too lazy to type it again.
Wow--I'm glad I stumbled upon your blog! As someone who's started over in middle age, I totally understand where you're coming from. Just remember, this is the best time of life (so far, anyway!)
XOXO
Love your tattoos and Debs idea is a great one for the hope and love.
I think its great you and Jordan (my daughters name as well) are going together to get tattoos. That brings a tear to my eye. As does the idea of a tattoo needle going anywhere near me but I do love them though.
I think just a small heart on your ankle maybe - one with an intricate design somehow - this boy will be the love of your life forever. Cannot wait to see what you decide. Good on you. And by the way Jordans idea for his tattoo is amazing!! Perhaps you could also get a smaller version of his?
do you think all your contorting on the floor to take pictures of yourself could be part of your neck problems??? you know me I have no tatoos, only the rub on one I wore for the wedding! good luck with your new decision
Cheri
That's very cool! I don't have any ideas as I'm too chicken to get one. I'm thinking that maybe my 40th birthday would be a good time. I saw 30 come and go too quickly.
My brother has a TON of them! Some Chinese lettering on his forearms that probably says "Eat *&^% and Die". He swears it says something about Courage and Strength. One on one calf is that of the fallen soldier gun/hat symbol, something else on the other, the word "Dragon" across his abs (I tease him and say that this will eventually read "DWWWWAGGGOOOONNNSSSS" someday, a Brama Bull on his one shoulder, a Superman (or Supersissy as I call it) emblem on the other and some sort of scrolling design on his back. Kids...
Rats! I posted earlier and it never showed up.
I can't have tattoos due to scarring but I like yours.
After the divorce, my daughters really struggled so my oldest decided to get a tattoo in Sanskrit that means "breathe". For her it's symbolic to remember to breathe when she's feeling stressed and anxious.
I like your son's idea of a tattoo. Just think, he will look back and see how far he's come.
Aww, you're going on my birthday to get Jordan's birthday tattoo. I hope you're going to "my tattoo guy"? :)
awesome! you are one of the cool moms aren't you. no ideas here either.
You are a great mom.. Nice tats, too! My ex drummer used to threaten to take me to get an earring and a tattoo. I told her I couldn't; it would kill my dad. Now he's gone so no excuse... Maybe next year!
I think its great! I have one that I got when my dad was fighting cancer and I have been fighting blood sugar issues my whole life. Its the hebrew symbol for warrior. Means a lot to me. I think they are a great way of expression. Some lady once said to me and you might note that mine is on the inside of my ankle in all black. She said " honey when you are 80 how are you going to feel about that ?" I said mam if I am 80 and still breathing ...I m just going to smile and be proud of THAT!! Have an amazing day!
I love your tattos!!
Post a Comment