Sunday, December 14, 2008

Setting the record straight

Last night, it came to my attention that one (or possibly more, but I think it's just one) of my readers has a problem with how I have referred...or more specifically...NOT referred to Jordan's Dad and Stepmom in my blog.

Evidently, this particular reader has gotten word to Greg (Jordan's Dad) that my blog is all about me being a single parent, raising Jordan alone, and makes no mention of his father or stepmom (Denise) or their financial contributions (ie: child support), emotional connection to Jordan, etc., and that I appear to act as though they do not even exist.

So I would like to take this opportunity to set the record straight.

Dear Reader:

Yes, Jordan has a father, as you obviously know. For the rest of you who don't, Greg has been his dad for all of his 18 years of life. LOL. He also has a stepmom, Denise, who's been helping raise this kid for the past 12 years. Jordan has a great relationship with them, as do I. There is no drama here...the three of us get along great, we parent our child as a group, and clearly it's worked out well as collectively we have raised one hell of a young man. Greg is a great father to our son, just as I am a great mother to him and Denise is a great "other mother". And Jordan is damn lucky to have a bonus mom such as Denise. She treats him no differently than she does her two children, or Greg's other son from his previous marriage. They are one big happy family, and I will forever be grateful to her for opening her heart to this kid who means the world to me.

I have not discussed them in my blog for the simple reason that I had no idea if they would *want* to be mentioned here, nor do we tend to do things together for me to discuss! There is a picture on the right side of this blog taken on Jordan's birthday last year of me and him, and what you don't see is that on the other side of Jordan sits his other two parents. I did not put the entire picture on here because...again...it was about respecting their privacy. I did not "cut them out of the picture to pretend they do not exist". And Greg and Denise, if you are reading this now and don't mind if I put the entire picture there, please let me know. Actually, I would love to...because for everyone who has never seen father and son together, it will clear up the issue of "Oh, Jordan looks a lot like his mom!" NO, he doesn't. He and his Dad are twins, 30 years apart in age. The only thing Jordan got from me is his big feet. (Yeah, thanks for that. I carried that child for 10 (that's right..10) months and evidently my sole contribution is his size 13 feet. Lovely!)

And yes, Reader, Greg has always paid child support. I have never discussed that here, and why would I? This blog is not about our financial arrangment! But rest assured, he is by no means a deadbeat dad.

For the record, Greg and Denise had Jordan every other weekend when he was growing up, plus holidays and time in the summer when he was out of school. They never missed a baseball game, a wrestling match, or a parent teacher conference. The past couple of years as he's gotten older, he hasn't spent as much time with them but frankly he hasn't spent much time with me either! He's a teenager with a car...has nothing whatsoever to do with whether he loves his parents or not! But he has a great relationship with them, and they are very much part of his life and always will be.

The more I thought about this last night, the more pissed off I got, that somebody would run to Greg or Denise and try to create drama where there is none. Prior to last night, I could not have told you if they read my blog or not. Didn't have a clue if they even knew it existed. I certainly have not hidden it from them, but the truth is that I don't share my life with them....I share a child with them. Anything that has to do with HIS life, we talk about. But I'm pretty sure they have far better things to do than to care whether or not I write a blog about what's going on with me. We are all friends, but we aren't in each other's business. When it comes to our son, we are all on the same page and that is all that matters.

In addition, dear Reader, you have evidently taken issue with the fact that I refer to myself as a single parent. Here's a newsflash for you.

I *am* a single parent.

Let me walk you through it to clear up the confusion. I am not currently married (aka...single) and I have a child (which makes me a parent). From where I stand that makes me...a Single Parent. Specifically I am a Single Mom. Now, maybe in your world, Single Mom means sole support of a child or children with deadbeat dad nowhere in the picture. However, in MY world, single parent means one person in the house raising their kid(s) as opposed to two people doing so. I have raised Jordan in MY house by MYSELF for almost all of his life, except for the time frame when he was about 12 to 15 and I was married (to my ex, who is NOT Jordan's father...keep up here). Me calling myself a single parent has ZERO to do with whether or not Jordan's father is in his life, or contributes financially to raising him...and everything to do with the fact that I am single, and have a child living at home.

I hope this sets the record straight for you, and clears up any misconception that you have, that I have somehow slighted Jordan's other parents here. But please understand something, this blog is about ME. I started this as a way to vent feelings and frustrations about being divorced. As a byproduct of talking about myself, my son gets dragged into it as well, because he's a huge part of my life. But in general I talk about things in MY life, not Jordan's. Therefore, if and when I have something to talk about where Greg & Denise are concerned, I will do so. In fact, come June when Jordan physically graduates with his class and we watch him walk up and get his diploma, I'm sure I will talk about them because it will be something we do together. (And it will probably say something along the lines of "Denise and I bawled like babies and Greg laughed at us". LOL) However, I'm not going to report every time he goes to his Dad's house or talks to him on the phone, in an effort to make sure everyone knows he has a relationship with his father! Everyone who truly knows us...knows he does. And Reader, you clearly know that as well, so do me a favor and stop trying to cause problems where there are none. If you don't like how I write, or what I write about...then stop reading.

And more importantly, if you have an issue with me, or the contents of my blog, take it up with me. Grow a pair, will ya?

Thanks.

And to the rest of my readers, I ask you...have I ever in this blog, given you the impression that Jordan didn't have a father in his life, or that his Dad was a deadbeat? Because that's what triggered this post today, that there is a perception out there to this effect. So to the many of you who read my blog...tell me the truth, do YOU have that perception?


31 comments:

Lilly said...

That was fantastic Julie. So beautifully written. That should fix it once and for all. Personally as a single parent myself - well my daughter is independent now anyway - I would never think to mention her father either. I don't have a relationship with him she does. My blog is about my life not his.

Clearly someone is trying to cause some trouble for you. Hit a nerve I bet with one of your posts perhaps. What a nerve really. Anyway, forget them and move on. You are a talented writer with lots of great stuff to say. We know that and you dont have to prove anything to the majority of your readers!! Have a great day!

Julie D said...

Thank you, Lilly!!!!

Unknown said...

Drama sucks-
To be honest Julie I have never given Jordans dad much thought mainly because as you stated this blog is about you...Your life NOT You,Jordan,Greg,Denise Grand ma Mazur...ok ok I dont know if you have a G'ma Mazur thats from a stephanie plum novel

I have never read a bad statement about Jordans dad and you know I am here often ahem commentor form thangy anyone

I WISH I could have the type of relationship that you described with my X-BRAVO to you all for putting J first

I think it sucks you even had to explain yourself!

Huggers Jules

Anonymous said...

This blog is not about Jordan's father. It is about you being 47 and starting over. Why on earth would you mention him?

I have an ex whom I have 3 daughters with. I don't talk about him....why would I?

Some people have nothing going on in their life so they need to start drama.

peace
#2

Anonymous said...

It's a BLOG. Some people need to get over themselves, and realize they're not reading the effing New York Times. I'm gussing the person who wrote that is the quintessential "500 lb gamer sitting naked at his computer 25 hours a day". Hey, gamer...GET A LIFE! Julie can say she's got pizza coming out of her ass, and it's HER RIGHT! Grow up and stop trying to cause drama for other people just because you need to feel loved!

Julie D said...

OMG...LOL at Crystal!!!

That Janie Girl said...

Awesome that y'all raised your kiddo that way, together.

There's tons of honor in that, for him, and for each of you.

Like I've said before, you rock!

travel girl said...

You have never, ever given me the impression that Jordan's Dad was a deadbeat Dad. You have never mention him but just because you didn't mention him, did not make me think he did not have a Dad or that he was a loser.

I love how you put things into words. You clearly state whats on your mind and the words are perfect. "The reader" most certainly gets the message.

Or not. clearly, the reader is not the brightest bulb on the tree.

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Oh, for Christsake.

Unless I'm missing something, Greg and Denise aren't the ones who are complaining they're not mentioned in your blog; it's a busybody reader who should respect your decision to respect their privacy. You did a great job of setting the record straight, despite the fact that you weren't really obligated to.

As bloggers, we're always apt to piss someone off; it's to your credit that it wasn't Greg and Denise.

jill jill bo bill said...

WTH?! Can you say Shit Stirrer? I thought you could. I am so sorry! I never heard you once grip-complain about them. Hello?! Aren't we all obvious about who we like and dislike? Tell that ss to mosey on and mind his/her own business.

Sandi said...

SOME PEOPLE!

I have dealt with the same shit on my blog. I feel the same way you do. It's your blog, not Jordan's. We don't need to hear about Jordan's relationship with his father, unless it is something you want to share with us. Why would any reader assume that because you don't share that info that he doesn't exist or he doesn't pay child support?

I agree with Travel Girl, NOT the brightest bulb!

Don't let that reader ruin your day! Keep blogging about whatever the hell you want to and tell that reader to piss up a rope!

Julie D said...

Thanks everyone. I'm not worried about it. And the thing is, there is a finite number of people who know Jordan's dad who would be reading my blog. Let's face it, friends of his more than likely don't even know my name as they are not friends of mine, so it really isn't hard to figure out where this came from. Plus remember I have Analytics that tell me who reads my blog regularly so I have a pretty good idea of who got bent out of shape over it.

The fact remains, if Greg or Denise happened to decide to blog, I'm 99% sure I would not be mentioned on theirs either, nor would I be affected by that. Their life, their blog. My life, my blog. We have a child in common, and we would all discuss him. But not each other.

It's not a big deal. I took the high road and explained Jordan's relationship with his father and stepmom, and it's over and we can all move on and go back to talking about ME. LOL!

Lost Soul said...

I don't think you've ever not mentioned him on puspose as long as I've been reading. I asked about him personally in an e-mail and you were honest and open as usual and perfectly respectful.

chocolatecovereddaydreams.blogspot.com said...

Someone needs to have something to moan about so he/she picked yours as an excuse. This is YOUR blog do as you very well please. Don't even give "Reader" the opportunity to change how you write. I love your blog and your insight and honesty. That's what the world needs more of. I've never gotten the impression that Jordan didn't have a dad.

Btw, I am a single mom as well. I also don't mention my daughters' dad unless I'm have a moment and then he does get mentioned but he has no idea that I have a blog, let alone knows what blogs are. So no worries there.

Keep on doing you!!

Linda S said...

sheesh, he can get his own blog if he wants and NOT talk about you... Tell whoever the trouble maker is to leave you the h-e-doublehockeysticks alone! I'm a single mom too...big deal. There is no dad in the house, therefore single mom, and frankly it would be no fun on my blog if I talked about him all the time.

No explanation necessary! booyah!

Anonymous said...

And into this fold comes a woman carrying words of wisdom. As well as duct tape for that son-of-a-bitch, short bus riding, holier than thou reason for therapy intervention. Did I leave anything out? Oh yeah. I'm basically assuming he's a woman. Or wants to be.

Now, as for husband of the prior life, and wife of the present wife, this truly has nothing to do with them, as that's your business.

It seems to have something to do with your reader, and....well....that's NOT their business.

So you ended up wasting well deserved wrath, and a LOT of space and posting to, basically, cater to his/her brain malfunction.

And if he/she doesn't like what I'm saying, please...OH PLEASE, come to MY blog, ya little yellow piece of crap. Merry Christmas.

Trisha.R.Jackson said...

Sounds like we both have blog drama - LOL. Don't you love when people stick their nose into something that's not even of their concern? If I didn't know that my sister's Anonymous poster and her friend "JollyGreenGirl" lived in 2 different states (not Ohio), I'd nearly conclude it was the same person running to Greg.

Good grief, people! Get a life.

Debz said...

Wow eveidently I cannot go without reading for the weekend. I miss everything.

This person is an idiot for thinking you would talk about anything other than what you chose to talk about on your blog. Personally I never gave much thought to Jordan's dad or the status of their relationship.
This is YOUR blog and it's about you. I know what YOUR relationship is with Jordan. Because you tell us. Anything else is only our business if you chose to share it with us.

Thanks for sharing!!

Julie D said...

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate all your comments.

Don't worry, NOBODY will change how I write, what I write about, or anything else. I write this blog FOR ME, because I enjoy writing, and FOR YOU, because evidently there are quite a few of you out there who enjoy reading it.

The person who complained to Jordan's dad about me not giving kudos to him is simply being petty, in my opinion. This blog isn't about any of Jordan's parents BUT ME. It's written from my point of view and about my life experiences, which include raising Jordan. But if that person truly feels that Greg needs a gold star for his actions put in writing here, then so be it. And if what I've said in my post today isn't enough, then I suggest he/she start their own blog and elaborate further.

I'm done talking about it.

Anonymous said...

I"m really bothered by the fact that you're shitting pizza (a'la Crystal's comment) and you didn't tell me. I might have to call your sister's neighbor's dog groomer's best friend's wife and complain about it. After all, my relationship with her is about as relevant as your relationship with Greg & Denise are to this blog.
But seiously...what kind of pizza?

Leon1234 said...

Hey, how are you?

Megryansmom said...

Well ok since you asked for honesty, I've never heard you mention Jordan's dad in this blog and just figured if you wanted to talk about him you would have. I can't say I formed a negative opinion of him just because you hadn't mentioned him. Shheesh people get a life.

Anonymous said...

Julie, your blog's great! Amazing what a bunch of nosy, judgmental people can get up to. Yeah, you're definitely a single mom. Hello. I wonder what the reader's point (axe to grind) was.

Drop by Osolomama any time!

Sue said...

Quite the opposite for me. I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere in your blog about Jordan's great relationship with his "other family". I don't have the time or desire to dig through your blog to find it but I could swear that the one time you did mention it, it was all good.

Some people love drama. I'd hate to have to live their miserable lives.

Anonymous said...

This, to me, is one of the hardest parts about blogging. You do your best to be yourself, put yourself out there for everyone to see and judge, and then someone goes and sticks their nose where it doesn't belong. This sort of crap happened to me A LOT when I blogged on Xanga. Random STRANGERS would actually contact my ex-husband or my current husband's ex-wife to tell them things I wrote about.

INSANITY!!

I'm glad you wrote this and set the record straight. GOOD FOR YOU!!

I can say, as a reader I rarely hear about Jordan's dad, but I wouldn't expect to, this blog has very little, if ANYTHING to do with him. *Sheesh*

Anonymous said...

Said reader needs to get a life!!

'nough said.

Anonymous said...

obviously this person wasn't reading your blog a few months ago when you published wedding pictures of greg, denise, jordan AND you... and for the record.. Jordan IS greg to a t.. bald head and all... and those damn brown eyes.. could have been mine!!! LOL

Cheri

Robynbeth said...

I cannot believe people would be so petty. Your blog is your blog, and you should not be on full disclosure. I don't talk about my ex or his wife on my blog just because it isn't about them. It is about me, all about me. Wait this is all about you, and your blog was beautifully done.

Anonymous said...

damn Julie, what is up with all your readers?...you are one of the most liberal, say-it-like-it-is bloggers (that's why i love your blog), yet you get such up-tight comments sometimes??? (scratches head).

Anonymous said...

This post made me cry. So well written. Thank you.

And I've been meaning to tell you how much I love the pics in the sidebar -- and your cute comments. They make me smile every time I come back here.

WonderMom said...

And this, my friend, is one of the reasons my blog is anonymous! Maybe someday I'll have the cajones that some of you have to put everything out there with names and pictures but I'm scared to death of hearing my late night ramblings read at my custody hearing!

Personally, I had wondered about Jordan's dad because I was pretty sure that the ex you talk about was not him, but I only wondered that as a single mom starting down this road. Reading this post did warm my heart and give me hope. It's nice to know that you were both able to put what happened between you behind you and be adults for the sake of your son. Kudos to you. Damn the anonymous readers...you know we love you!