Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Our adopted Christmas family.

As you know, I posted last week that my family decided to skip exchanging gifts amongst ourselves and adopt a family who needed it for the holiday.

My nephew's mother-in-law works at the school where these kids go, and all we knew at first was this:

The children range in age from preschool age to fifth grade. The mother and father are unable to provide even basic needs for their children. The mother Crystal,who is only 28 years old, has terminal cancer. She is desperately trying to write letters to each of her children so that they can read them on their 18th birthday.Anything you can contribute to Samuel, Sarah, Wayne,Sierra, Samie, and Thomas will be deeply appreciated.


But today, my nephew and his wife, who have been in charge of this event for us, emailed this:

Hi all...Here is what we got everyone...
Sierra- Dora toy cell phone, velour sweatsuit, pjs, coat
Wayne - Cowboy Hat, Cowboy playset, pjs, coat
Samuel- Yatzee game, Pirate toy, pjs, coat
Sarah- 2 Hannah Montana activity books, pjs, coat
Thomas- Spiderman toy, Memory game, pjs, coat
Samie- Hair accessories, Hannah Montana lotion set, pjs, coat

AND a $540 Walmart Gift Card for the family!!!

My mom brought the gifts, gift card, and Sue Ellen's ornaments to the school today. A couple of the teachers will deliver all the goods tomorrow night. From the sounds of it, we are all up for sainthood in their eyes!!! The teachers, principal (all involved) were in tears when they saw the parade of presents for the family. They never expected so much!

I am soooo glad we did this...it means so much! The mother wants to send out thank you's but we don't know if she has enough time left. She is at home on oxygen and everyone is hoping that she lives until Christmas. One of the teachers, at the father's request, took the girls this weekend to get dresses for the funeral...he wants them to look nice. I've encouraged my mom to push the school to nominate them for extreme home makeover...we'll see.

Please keep the family in your thoughts and prayers and feel good about a great deed!


This makes me very happy. THIS...to me...is the meaning of Christmas and gift giving. Exchanging with my family has been more of a chore..an obligation...for years. None of us "need" anything, and I found myself just buying random stuff in the mall, just to be able to check another name off my list of who to buy for.

This year, I feel like I've done something good. To know that those kids will have gifts to open, and food to eat, make it all worthwhile.

Just please, I ask each of you, to join me in saying a prayer that Crystal lives to see one more Christmas with her children.

Thank you....

23 comments:

Lilly said...

Amazing. Words kind of fail me. It is indeed the meaning of Christmas and you and your family will get much in return too. Cheers for your family. Crystal will be in my prayers.

That Janie Girl said...

I'll be praying, as well.

Y'all done good, ya did.

t said...

I'm teary eyed here for sure. Arrrgh...this made me cry and I'm still weepy. THIS is what the season is all about. I've been a single Mom for almost 8 years. Struggles, success, more struggle, loss of my parents, a car accident last year that put me out of commission for much of 2008...all so RELATIVE to this poor young woman's battle.
Every year I pick a family in need(I usually choose a single Mom) and we give, give, give. My kids glow when they pick the gifts and see the smiles on the needy family's face. I've been there. I've struggled and wondered where the gifts would come from. Luckily I always had my health.

THIS was extraordinary. I'm so thrilled to read this and share this post with others. You are spectacular and I'm glad I came across this post.

xoxoxox

Marlo Boux said...

This is extremely touching and really exemplifies the true meaning of Christmas. I am praying that this woman see MANY more Christmases with her children and that she be completely healed from cancer in the name of Jesus.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this. What a wonderful thing your family did. Its so great to hear a story like this! I'm incredibly sad for that family - I can't imagine having to leave my children. I hope they will have continued support after the holidays are over.

Anonymous said...

My special request from the angels is for a complete recovery for Crystal and that what you have done, and are doing, for her family be a shining example that inspires others to do likewise.

The world is a richer place because you are in it.

TexasRed said...

This is such a great idea. Thank you for being so thoughtful and giving!

Anonymous said...

How cool! I wish the family the best.

Kate said...

What a wonderful idea! This really does epitomise what Christmas should be about.

Anonymous said...

Julie, what a great thing for your family to do-I am going to suggest this for my family for next year-I feel the same about buying random things so I can check the name of the list and move on-I am teary eyed at my desk and pray that Crystal gets to spend Christmas with her kids and hopefully many more!

won said...

Amazing...simply amazing.

This is what the season is about.

Lost Soul said...

I've done enough crying the last two days... Shoot me an e-mail and tell me what I can do. My three kids have lost two mothers I've been on the living end of good people leaving to soon for a long time now...

Trina said...

Julie, I am right there with you about buying gifts becoming a chore. Don't get me wrong--I LOVE buying for others and seeing their joy when I've gotten them something they REALLY want, but nobody in my family is in dire straights. I've suggested that next year we adopt a family. Our family Christmas is Saturday, and I'm going to bring it up again. I get so much more pleasure out of buying for those who are in need.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful thing you and your family have done for this family!

It makes me happy to know there are still good people out there.

Just a thought, but I bet some pictures of the family before the mother passes away would mean the world to all of them. Maybe someone could do that as well.

God bless you all, and I am praying for that family.

Unknown said...

OMGosh Julie I am in tears...You and your family are angels

Megryansmom said...

Your kindness will surely be appreciated by this family. I'll keep Crystal in my prayers.

My Moon said...

*wiping away tears* I will be saying prayers for this family too. It is so awesome that you are doing this! It is truly the meaning for Christmas. Thanks for sharing and for being my blog friend!!!

Linda S said...

that is so wonderful of you...keeping them in our prayers...

Sandi said...

I love Christmas! Thank you for sharing this beautiful story. We all have so much to be grateful for. It is so easy to spread the love and joy by just doing a little.

Merry Christmas!

Debz said...

Jules that's a wonderful thing you all are doing. Just wonderful.
I'll keep Crystal in my thoughts.

travel girl said...

May I just say WOW!!!!!

We adopt famlies at work every year. We have a party and the famlies come and open the gifts. It's an amaing feeling to give.

Vegas Linda Lou said...

What a wonderful way to put some meaning back into this overly commercialize holiday. You're good, Julie.

jill jill bo bill said...

I will pray, Jules. I will.