Saturday, December 6, 2008

I woke up with a pain in the neck, and I don't mean my ex!

Yesterday I woke up with a pain in the neck, literally. Right side, into my shoulder, you know that pulled muscle feeling that you must have slept with your head at a 90 degree very odd angle all night?? It freaking hurt all day long, and made me VERY cranky yesterday. Just ask the people who's heads I bit off for little to no reason!

So last night I iced it down, hit the bottle of muscle relaxers, did all the things one should do to fix this problem (including the optional Sweet Tea drink!) and went to bed early.

Fucker hurts worse today. Now I can barely turn my head and the entire upper right side of my back/shoulder hurts! Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

It sucks getting old. I don't understand how I can injure myself sleeping. Seriously! I go to bed fine and wake up with shit that hurts for no possible reason. Other than to make me feel like a hypochondriac.

The fear of this never getting better *almost* makes me want to start exercising and dieting. LOL Whadda ya think, Deb? Should we do a challenge together??

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I HATE cricks in da neck cuz they are a pain in da assa...
hope it gets better soon Julie so you can stop walking around like you ride the short bus...yes I know what you look like with a crick cuz I look like that too
;-)

Anonymous said...

Ok, here is what you do.

Get in the shower.
Get the water HOT and let it hit the injured area.
Bend your head forward 10x like you are nodding. Then to the back 10 x.
Bend your heand to each side 10x all the while the hot water scorching you.
Someone told me once to do this, they got it from a physical therapist and guess what? It worked for me and it feels really good.

jill jill bo bill said...

I had one so bad once I couldn't eveb turn my head to the left. I called m friend, a massage therapist, and cried, so she had me come in. I almost died in a carwreck getting there because you really need full range neck motions to drive safely. The massage hurt so bad I cried real tears during the whole thing. But 45 minutes into the torture I could move and the pain was gone.

travel girl said...

I think you need a manssage;)

Seriously,those hurt like hell!
Sorry baby.

Sandi said...

I think the massage make it worse. I say, prop up your feet and sit on the couch the entire weekend. DON'T DO ANYTHING! Milk it for all it's worth!

Robynbeth said...

I hope all the kinks are gone soon, and you are on the mend.

Me said...

Julie I have no advice for you I just hope your feel better!!

won said...

A lot of times for me, chocolate cures a lot of what ails me. I know it's not in line with exercise and diet...

Anonymous said...

Yuck!! I hope you feel better soon. That totally blows.

Anonymous said...

I have the same pain today right side neck/shoulder.. hurts like a well a pain.....could be from sleeping on a hide a bed for 2 nights and driving for 17 hours in 2 days.. lots of fun!!!


Cheri

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean. Since my accident, I have had all sorts of problems, particularly with sleeping and waking up with migraines -- who know for sure why. But I have the same pains you describe -- at this very moment. But my biggest today are on the left side. I get pain injections on Monday, and I can't wait. The first time I had them done, two weeks ago, they really worked well.

KJ
www.nanadiaries.com

Lilly said...

Oh gosh I know what you mean too. Do you think you need a different pillow? Maybe you are stressed? I hurt my neck and shoulder somehow not long ago to the point I was having trouble moving my arm. The agony. I had all the same thoughts as you too - I need to be fitter and take better care of myself. I love Philly's hot shower answer - I think that works. I know I need to move more and loosen up the muscles. Hope it gets better. Have to say your post title was very funny. I like you idea of a challenge - count me in if you do it - I need the motivation.

Coloradolady said...

Oh, I know what you mean. I don't do well with that type of pain....wait....any type of pain for that matter at all. Hopy you feel better soon.

Debz said...

Ugh!! I feel your pain. When I get mine it's on the left. Jill's right too, it's really hard to drive when you can't turn your head from side to side. So don't drive if you don't have to.
The excercise thing is overrated. Don't do it (lol).
Hope you feel better soon.
Sweet Tea and muscle relaxers never hurt anyone. Sounds like a remedy to almost anything.