Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Must haves and have nots ***Updated***

Yesterday's post about my preferences in a man got me to thinking, what are my must haves and my have nots? And not just when it comes to dating.

We all have things we prefer, or insist on, even when it comes to grocery shopping, right? I'm not immune, I have my Must Have's....

Bounty paper towels - anything else is a waste of my money. And I prefer white, instead of those cutesy little decorative ones with grapes and leaves and whatever else the season represents.

Angel Soft toilet paper - again, white only. I don't need flowers on my TP to feel feminine at that particular moment. White does the job just as well and it goes better with my bathroom. There's nothing floral in my house, kids. (Except Vinnie's roses which still look gorgeous!)

Hellman's Mayo - there is nothing else to buy. I don't get the Miracle Whip people, I truly don't. I'm sure there are some of you out there, but seriously...it's good mayo that's been watered down with milk and sugar. Yuck.

Starbucks Caffe Verona coffee - I'm a coffee snob. I admit it. I don't do the cheap stuff. My morning ritual is Caffe Verona, with whatever flavored creamer I am currently hooked on. Right now, it's Italian Sweet Creme. Yummo. It's like sex in a mug.

Bottled water - must be Natural Spring. Not of this purified, reverse osmosis shit. I want my water to have everything it's made with naturally, nothing added and nothing removed. I prefer Fiji as it's the closest thing to perfect you can get. But it's pricey to be healthy.

Diet Pepsi, Caffeine Free - no exceptions. I will only buy Coke if Pepsi products aren't on sale and Coke is really cheap.

I have specifics on laundry detergent, dog food, soy milk, etc, but figured you are already bored reading this so I'll move on to my Must Haves and Have nots in Men!

Men...my gosh, how do I narrow it down? I told you yestrday a couple of my preferences, but I'll list a few more here...

Must be taller than I am - I'm 5'8" (I used to be 5'9", not sure if I lost an inch because I no longer have 80's big hair, or if gravity is pulling everything south, not just my boobs) and I have not ever been, nor will I ever be, attracted to men shorter than me. I like 'em big! I'm 6' tall in heels, and even though I don't wear them often anymore, I still want my guy to be taller than me when I do. I'll settle for a 6 footer, but that's about the shortest I'll go. Now, that being said, it's like everything else...if he brings A LOT to the table, I could probably be persuaded to overlook the height thing to a point. But he's gotta have a whole bunch of other attributes that I can't live without!

I have issues with "old breath". Come on, you KNOW what I mean by this. There's that smell that comes from someone who's either very unhealthy, or just aging quickly on the inside, that smells "old". I can't describe it any other way. And trust me, I have met 45 year old men with this problem. I can't get past it. It reminds me of a nursing home...I've been dealing with nursing homes with my parents for 9 years now, and trust me, there is nothing about it that's a turn on. So I can't be with a man who has old breath and reminds me of that scenario. This is my big concern with "Irving". He's pushing 60 folks. He may be a very young 58, or he may not be. But one date with him (should he ever actually respond to my email!) and one sniff of old breath, and he's history.

I have a problem with teeth, too. Now, I'm not expecting every man to have a set of Hollywood Straight & Whites, but I need to see evidence of dental hygiene. My teeth are not the straightest ones in the world, but at least when I smile they don't look bad. Just don't crawl inside my mouth and look too closely...there's plenty of crowding on the bottom and a couple of crowns that need repair! But as I said yesterday, I broke up with a guy who had a dark spot on his front top tooth, and it drove me insane. I was actually embarrased to be seen with him, as I felt it was a refection on me. (Yes, I am *that* shallow...we've established this already!) Sure, he could have had it capped, and we might have had a great life together, but for whatever reason, I didn't stick around long enough to have that conversation.

I don't want to deal with bitter, bitchy ex-wives or ex-girlfriends either. We all have baggage, and some with accessories as well, but I'm not dragging my dysfunctional ex into this, so keep yours out of it as well.

Oh, and the absolute deal breaker...if a guy has cheated on anyone before, at any time in his life, he needs to walk on by and get out of my line of vision quickly. By the time I got engaged to my ex, I had found out he'd cheated on both his wives before me. He of course, swore it would never happen with us, he'd learned his lesson, he wouldn't hurt me like that...blah blah blah. And we all know how *that* worked out for me. The stories I could tell you guys about my completely dysfunctional marriage and divorce. Honestly, you'd think I was making it up. Anyway...back to the subject...NO man who's cheated before needs to even talk to me.

Speaking of my ex....my mother-in-law is having surgery to remove part of her lung right now as I type. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers today. I will be going over to the hospital this afternoon or this evening, and will probably run into him, so keep me in your thoughts as well, that if I do run into him...I have the sense to throw it in reverse, back up, and do it again. LOL

21 comments:

SS+1 said...

Italian Sweet Cream sounds AMAZING. I think I'm due for a cup-o-joe :)

Debz said...

And here's to hoping that you catch his belt buckle on your exhaust and drag him about oh, 50 feet, yards or miles, whichever.

We all have our haves and have nots. I'm busy trying to retrain my have. Or he's gonna soon be a have not.

Anonymous said...

You're MIL is in my thoughts. Hopefully all will go well.

I agree with so many things on your grocery list must-haves!

Bounty - buy the good stuff or use 10 times the amount of the bad stuff to do the same job.

My husband is a Miracle Whip guy and it has always grossed me out. I go Hellman's all the way - I even like their lite version.

And starbucks... if you stop by my blog today you'll see even my 5 year old knows I'm addicted to that place.

Anonymous said...

maybe its just the fact that I never moved out the hills that I don't prescribe to all that "stuff" I do not like Mircle whip on sandwhiches, but its makes the best deviled eggs, I usually am not a brand shopper, as you know most private label brands ARE brand names (we learned that from Borden)paper towels not a biggie, toilet paper, it all goes the same place, I have used the same fabric softner since we got married, hubby has a problem with brand switching...good thing i was using the cheap stuff when we met! Ok well the whole family is here today so we are alllll off to eat lunch at Jacks.. no steaks but they have great lunch specials, then Trav leaves tomorrow and Kelsey is here today cause of no school... take it easy, hang in there i'm sure a special person will be in the future!

Cheri

Mariah said...

Prayers for your mama. I'm with you on the 'old age breath' NASTY

Mariah said...

I meant MIL not mama, SORRY

chocolatecovereddaydreams.blogspot.com said...

It’s funny that you should mention the Must Have’s and Have Nots…I made a list on paper to keep as sort of a checklist for the guys that I was communicating with. It kept things in perspective. I promised myself that I would be honest and if truly, that man didn’t fit or had way more Have Not’s, then I didn’t pursue it further.

At this age in our lives, we’ve been there and done that and this time has got to be different. I knew exactly what I was looking for and wasn’t going to compromise on that. If I was younger, maybe I’d feel the need to try out this guy and that guy and take risks but not now. I’m serious and the guy that I was serious about needs to be serious too. (Which he is.)

FYI, the stores I California don’t carry Hellman’s. I am the same way with peanut butter. I also don’t like much imitation anything. I have to have the real deal!

Julie, anytime you want to hit me offline, let me know and I can give you my number, k?

chocolatecovereddaydreams.blogspot.com said...

Ooops, I forgot to mention your ex mil. I hope she gets through the surgery well. When you see your ex, don't waste your breath on him. Let him know that you're not there to see him. Then wave your hand at him and say, "Outta my face, fool! Be gone!" and walk away. LOL

Unknown said...

I am soooo with ya on the Hellmans front!!!
my main condition for a man is big wanker...talk about shallow

jill jill bo bill said...

Hoping all goes well with MIL and maybe ex will fall down the shaft of a broken elevator at the hospital and be lost forever. I agree with your haves and have nots. I am praying for you a tall widower with sweet-smelling breath that absoluely adores you. Hopefully he will like Hellman's.

Megryansmom said...

Life is too short to eat store brand mayo or gaspppp Miracle Whip.

Lost Soul said...

Must have vagina, I can probably live with the rest...

Patou said...

Love reading this!

J'Ollie Primitives said...

Prayers for your MIL.

Love the Have/Have Not list ~ fingers are crossed for a tall toothy Verona coffee drinking honest baggage free (well maybe a little carry-on bag)good-smelling man who wipes his butt with Angel Soft... :)

Lilly said...

Oh I agree with everything you said. Great post. No I dont think you are being overly fussy either. I am 5 9" so I am with you on the hight thing because I love wearing heels. I think we have to set boundaries otherwise we get what we dont need. Hope your MIL does well in her recovery. Exes, well thats a whole other story thats why it important to love yourself enough to get as many haves ticked off as you can!!

Anonymous said...

Glad for your MIL. Now for the haves and havenots, I'm right there with you, except for the tall man part. I am single now took, and a short shit, at that. So I don't want a man who's six feet. My face is just too close to his -- er, stuff.

KJ
www.nanadiaries.com

Unknown said...

glad to hear all went well Julie at least I think it did...right? sorry your X is such a wanker and i mean that in not a good way!

travel girl said...

I don't want you ex to moved to Vegas.
You'll never want to come to Vegas.

And we need to party in Vegas.

Cougar;)

Julie D said...

@travel girl...never you fear, sweetie. I'm totally hooking up with you in Vegas. We've got a date and no ex of mine is gonna get in the way!!!!!!!!!!

Deb said...

Yay for Starbucks Verona!! My fave.

Miracle Whip should be banned. Banned, I say!!

Anonymous said...

Sex in a mug? You are the best! You and I think so alike, its scary.