Love this idea of a picture being worth a thousand words...

This is my son and I, last August, in Tijuana Mexico. We intended to drive to the main border station there, park our car and walk over like most people do (you don't ever want to take a rental car especially over there...you have no insurance coverage in another country!)...however due to a faulty GPS we ended up driving our rental car THROUGH the migrant workers border 20 miles east of Tijuana, and ended up in the ghettos of Mexico scared shitless and unable to even find a sign in English, let alone someone to tell us how the hell to get out of this dump.
I have never been so scared in my life! I'm driving down a road that is getting more and more narrow, and eventually there are wild dogs running across the street, and Mexican people looking at us in our convertible (we had put the top up immediately after realizing we crossed the border!) and all I could think was "This is how people just disappear and are never found...." Eventually we found our way to the correct border, (basically, I just drove straight and prayed) got in line and sat there for 6 hours in traffic trying to get back across to safety! Of course halfway through we realized neither of us had passports and we spent the next few hours figuring out how we were going to explain this to the border patrol people. Oh, and praying there were no drugs stashed in our tires or under the car left by a previous renter!!!!!!!!! It was awful. And of course we both had to pee like you would not believe, and were thirsty as hell because it was 90 degrees but weren't willing to buy bottled anything from the people walking up and down the aisle of traffic selling stuff!
Then we saw this (ok technically this is two pictures but it adds to the story)

We got here and saw a sign that said passports were not required until January 1, 2008...and so I snapped a picture of my son and I to show the relief on our faces, that we were leaving the hellhole we were in and getting back on American soil!!!!!!!!!!!! As we drove across into California, we were shaking with joy at our nightmare being over, and as I looked for a place to stop to pee, Jordan says "Mom, I never want to go to Mexico again. I don't even want to eat at a Taco Bell now!" Funny kid.
Join the fun of Thousand Word Thursdays at Jen's Place.
Oh yeah, and I *get* that the picture is supposed to speak for itself, however this one required background info to truly appreciate it!!!
16 comments:
This picture is not of me it's in one of last years blogs but to me it speaks ten million words...
http://bp0.blogger.com/_a3jzRoKr7H4/Rmh-T6mfjgI/AAAAAAAAAAo/9m3BtXy_9Nk/s1600-h/1.jpg
julie... I'm glad you added the words to share the full story of the picture! It sounds (and looks) as though you and your son created a great memory! Thanks for sharing!
~AirmanMom returning to her blog...
You both were lucky to find your way back
I so wish I would have been there. I think that would have been fun...maybe scary, but FUN.
LOL I remember that story!
Glad you added words cause I would have had no clue why you two were hamming it up for the camera like that.
Scary story - I would have shit my pants. scary...
No picture rule LOL!!
I love the stories behind the photos, great!
OMG, it was awful! We got back to San Diego and went to a liquor store, and Jordan was like "Can we get beer and can I have some? My nerves are shot!" I cracked up..and yeah I let him drink in the hotel with me!!!
Danica, I should try to find the post on the Six Degrees board. That had lots more detail than this one does!
Aw you're too sweet!! You are welcome to stalk me all you want. Hee hee!
BTW, I've always wanted to go to Mexico. My hubby went in the past and thanks to him being Mexican when he got lost and asked a local where the border was, they pointed to an ungaurded dirt path!!
Apparently they thought he wanted to enter illegally. LOL!! After explaining he was actually American they gave him directions to the REAL border.
Whew! That was a close call! You both could've been locked up and hanging by your toenails or something.Can you imagine peeing hanging upside down??? Cool picture!
I grew up in Imperial Beach like 8 miles from the border.
Fond memories of drunken days in T.J.
And scary ones too.
Two nights before I got married, we went down to T.J. so we could drink legally. After the fun, we started home. It was so dark and my friend went through a stop sign. A cop, whom I'm sure was fake, pulled us over. We gave him all our money so we wouldn't end up dead in a ditch.
Haha great photos, me and my son also recently went to Mexico! After the recent divorce of my hubby, me and my son were really depressed and needed to take a vacation.
So I sold the diamond engagement ring my hubby bought me to www.idonowidont.com and used the money for a vacation in Mexico. Glad you two found your way back!
I love the story!! awesome pic!
LOVE the pic Jules...BUT WTF??? It says i have 12 comments and am now down to #9 pffffft we are breakin up if that top commenter form thangy doesnt get fixed! ;-)
I could be all twitter like and comment and comment BUT I friggin know i got more than 12 comments its ok i am not bitter i see where i stand with you ;-)
I would have cried like a baby the whole way. And wet my pants.
Post a Comment