Friday, April 4, 2008

Happy Friday....let's talk about The Daily Plate!

Ah, another lovely rainy day in Central Ohio. Gotta love spring in the Buckeye State, eh?

So yesterday my friend Sue turned me on to a nifty little website called The Daily Plate, which is a great way to track what you eat! Remember "if you bite it, write it"? Well, I wrote it all yesterday. The only reason I'm NOT shocked is because I had already logged into TDP so I knew how many calories I could have and modified what I shoved into my mouth accordingly. Had it just been a normal day and I was randomly eating all over the place, I'd have probably been mortified. And eaten more to shove down the embarrassment.

The Daily Plate tells me that for my height (5'8"...I actually measured, and have lost 1" in height over the years. Guess that's what 3 degenerated disks will do for a girl!) and my weight (you didn't really think I was going to post that for all the world to see, did you???) and because I want to lose 2 lbs a week, I need to be eating no more than 1,761 calories per day. If you think about it, that's not restrictive by any means. I could eat 6 Healthy Choice meals in a day on that! haha Or if I went the liquid diet route, I could have 5.45 Margaritas a day. Now we're on to something.

While you can certainly eat "whatever you want", I will at least say that I have learned enough from Dr Steward (LOL) to know that fruits, veggies, legumes, etc are the way to go. So I'm bringing food from home, and doing this the right way for a change....yes folks, the old dog (waves hand!) will eventually put the new tricks to good use.

So as I said, I tracked all that I ate yesterday and at the end of the day I still had 161 calories left . Sweet! I could have had a glass of wine last night! Dammit, now is not a good time for that thought to dawn on me.

Now I need to figure out how to put a tracker on my blog so I can track weight loss. This morning I was 1.4 lbs less than yesterday. Yea me! I must have peed a lot last night. LOL

Oh, and it bears noting that I haven't had a cigarette in a week or so now. Turns out, when I don't drink, I don't even want to smoke! Who knew?

4 comments:

Sue said...

I'm so glad you joined TDP!!! Like you said, 1700 calories is in no way restrictive. You have to be careful, but you don't have to starve or do anything silly or stupid. I think that's why I've been able to do it. I've in no way become a health nut. I still have fast food and chocolate and cookies and the rest of it, I just try to keep it within the boudaries of my calorie limit, if not for the day, at least for the week!

If you want to "hook up" with me over there, shoot me an email and I'll let you know my info there. Then you can see the horrible things I eat, and I can watch you too!

Anonymous said...

Good for you Julie!! I may just try to do both just to keep track-or that may be too much who knows!! Good luck and we can try to help each other!! Congrats on the not smoking!! That is another issue for me but one thing at at time!! Love the blog!!!

Patou said...

drinks and weight loss......
hmm.... this is an old one for me. I am always amazed at how many calories I consume in a glass.

good for you julie. you are trying it all!

Anonymous said...

So glad you stated that you undertand the difference between counting calories vs. being healthy. Losing weight doesn't mean health, it just means losing weight (not even losing fat!). Had no idea you were still smoking -- best thing you can do is stop, so glad you are doing that, too. Remember, I was 47 when I embarked on my health trip and started my degrees. Hmmmm, magic age of recognition that the spirit cannot live in a run down house for long??? Dr. Steward (no LOL)