Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Bachelor #2 for the year...and I might actually like this one!

OK, I haven't been dabbling in the dating pool too much this year, kind of resigned myself to the fact that I wasn't really meeting anyone who made me want to actually get to know them and/or actually go out on a date.

Then I met Joe. Well, cybermet him. Haven't met him in person yet.

Here's his profile:

Father of four whose life is centered mostly on his kids (sometimes to their extreme dismay). Girls, 12 and 15. Boys, 17 and 19.

Hoping to meet someone to love, honor and cherish. (And, no, the phrase isn't a cliche because it's not repeated enough.) A woman with the Three Cs: Character, Class and Compassion. A role model for my girls.

I'm not asking for much: Only to wake up early every morning for the rest of my life, look at the beautiful sleeping figure beside me, and be reminded why I get up for those cold-morning jogs and start work before everyone else.

The inner peace of a loving relationship polishes out the rough edges of life. I realize that the love and respect one seeks isn't merely GRANTED. It must be EARNED, which is why I try to maintain my sense of honor and a commitment to something greater than just me.

On days off I'll do just about anything involving fresh air and sunlight. I golf when I can and answer my kids' challenges in driveway basketball games. During the warmer months I look forward to sailing, backpacking, touring or cycling. For me, "outdoors" could also mean "out in the garage" where I tinker on two old cars (usually before I have them towed to someone who knows what he's doing). Started running again, and lifting weights since my son humiliated me in a "friendly" competition.

Lately I spend lots of time walking dogs, ours and those at the local shelter, where my daughter is a volunteer. Active in numerous community organizations (was scoutmaster of the local troop for several years). Long ago I was a Marine, so today I'm involved with a group that helps wounded Marines and their families.

Some have called my business successful. (Wasn't always that way.) To me it's not a success until I'm on the golf course while SOMEONE ELSE is running it!

I'm an excellent shopper! This means I'm very good at standing by in stores I would never visit while she pores thorugh aisles of merchandise I would never think of buying. (Oh. Except as a gift, of course!)

I'm also a (functional) dancer! Had the good fortune to take a series of dance lessons with a beautiful woman I dated last year.

I've found that cooking, menu-planning and grocery shopping are the hardest parts of being a single dad. I'll always appreciate a good recipe ( so if you're looking for a way to break the ice -- wink-wink, hint-hint.)

FULL DISCLOSURE --

-- I should probably mention that my hair is thin in back. (Well, OK. It's a bald spot.) Won't be doing a comb-over because my daughters begged -- and I mean BEGGED -- me not to.

-- The running I mentioned is really more of a jog. (Well, OK. It's probably more of a shuffle than a jog. Incredible to think that I once ran faster and farther with boots, helmet, pack and rifle.)

-- About my divorce (and all I should ever say about it): Married 17 years until she decided to become a "free agent", so to speak. Spent two years trying to dissuade her, and another 16 months in court, arguing for residential custody. (Lost both.) Was I the perfect husband? No. But I learn from my mistakes.

AND I SHOULD PROBABLY ADD ...

1. While I'd certainly be flattered to hear from you, I'm not seeking another pen pal. If I'm not someone you'd like to meet reasonably soon, then please don't write.

2. I love all kids. Including yours. Nothing you're doing is more important than raising them.

3. Lots of weirdos on line; I'm NOT one of them. (Well ... OK. But I'm harmless.) You'll find me open and accessible. If we get to a third date and I still don't know your address or last name, then I'll take it as suspicion, quirkiness and mistrust. Not exactly the foundation of a lasting relationship.

4. If we find there's some chemistry but you live out of town, I don't mind driving to spend an afternoon or evening with you. Once, maybe twice. After that, I'll need a good reason. (I know what you're thinking and no, I'm NOT suggesting THAT!)

5. If you're a bit overweight, no problem! I can hardly be critical. The question is: what are WE doing about it? Maintaining good health signals respect to one's mate.

6. Don't care about your past; hopefully you've learned from it. Don't care about your ex-; I doubt he's quite the rascal others have portrayed him to be. Don't care about your faith; it is best expressed by one's example, rather than by one's sermon. Don't care about your politics, grey hair, fashion choices, reading glasses or messy house. I'm more interested in your character.

7. If I can post MY picture and still get responses, then you have nothing to fear by posting yours.

First Date The zoo! Otherwise a hike in nice weather seems to me a great way to get to know someone. (But I completely understand if, after seeing my picture and reading my prose, you'd rather not be alone in the woods with me. So here are some alternatives: )

Bike rides are nice but it's hard to talk if you're riding single-file most of the time. We could golf nine holes, go to the movies, go to a favorite restaurant, visit a museum (there's one in Indiana I heard about), attend the symphony (I love Classical) or we could just kick the teenagers out of the house and download some old movies.

Of course, if you have a canine companion, feel free to bring it along and we can go out for a walk. If conversation becomes difficult, the dogs will give us something to talk about. (Although, if you've read this far, you've probably surmised that running out of things to say has never been a problem of mine.)

Good so far, eh?

We've exchanged numerous emails. He thinks I'm gorgeous. He wears glasses, I think he might need a new prescription. I'm trying not to freak out over the 4 kids issue, with only one of them being a legal adult, when I just got mine grown and on his own (OK yes he still lives with me but we're roommates now much more than mother/son). I'll be honest, he seems very nice...not the type I'm typically attracted to but at this age I'm thinking brains before brawn, you know?

So anyway...that's where things stand. We are getting acquainted via email, and we'll see if there's enough interest to meet....

I'm ready. I really am. It's taken me a long time to let go of my ex and be really, and truly, ready to start over with someone new. I wish I could say I'm "over" him. I'm not. I'm not over my marriage ending the way it did. I'm not over what his affair did to me. But something I read not long ago on one of my friend's blogs was spoken by her therapist, and while it dealt with two losses she's suffered that are completely different than my situation, it still resonated with me...

“You will never be over this. The goal is that you live your life in spite of it.”

So *that* is what I am trying to do. Live my life, and be happy again.

The day after our wedding, as my ex and I stood in a buffet line in Las Vegas, I remember looking at him and saying "Doesn't being this happy feel amazing??" And it did. And I was. I had no idea I could ever be that happy, until then. I was in love. I was married. I was on my way to Happily Ever After.

I'm ready to be that happy again. I'm ready to share that kind of happiness with someone else.

Who knows if it will be this guy or not? Only time will tell. But, at least I'm finally ready to give someone an honest chance...

48 comments:

Sarah Lulu said...

You are gorgeous.

He does sound very cute and interesting.

You don't have to be ready .. in the sense you are thinking ..if it means ..that hurt was so yesterday...

Willing ...you need to be willing to be vulnerable.

I can't wait for installments!

Robynbeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

julie...you deserve a 'happy from the inside out' feel. One day, Girl!
Keep us posted!
~AM

Robynbeth said...

Sorry about the delete. No coffee yet. Let me begin again:

Okay, the idea of being open scares the crap out of me. I am not ready to go through that again. A. left me in a defense mode that will take some time to chip away. I understand exactly what you are saying, but it also sounds like you are at the point where a man smiling and enjoying your company won't put you in a fetal position (oh, the puns we can do). Maybe it is time to grab your brass ring and be open to the possibilities this man may bring. You deserve to be buffet happy again. You deserve all the happiness this world can offer.

Megryansmom said...

Julie, you are BEAUTIFUL, never think less of yourself.

Here's to happily ever after.

beth said...

Good luck, take your water wings...just in case.

D said...

You're awesome. :) Does he change clothes in a phone booth and wear a giant S on his chest?! I'll be anxious to read more.

Bagman and Butler said...

The three of us are cheering you on, me, Butler, and Bagman -- although Bagman, of course, is a big jealous, and has taken notes in case he ever needs to write a classified -- (which is why Butler and I have blocked his access to all such sites). I have a cousin who met his wife this way and they are happily married, two kids. Good luck! Let us know how it goes...at least the parts you can make public.

Liz said...

Aw Julie, your post at the end almost made me cry! You apparently need a new prescription because you ARE gorgeous. I hope that all goes well and you're able to meet this bachelor and hit it off. Who wouldn't be able to hit it off with you?!?

won said...

Wow! I am so over the top happy for you and the possiblities; for the opportunity to feel giddy and happy right now. And that's where it is...in this moment.

Now, I can live vicariously through you...okay?

Trisha.R.Jackson said...

Oh yeah!!! This one sounds really promising - I hope you all get a chance to meet.

And you ARE beautiful, Julie.

Anonymous said...

You made me cry! I've really struggled today too!

I'm happy for you Julie. If he's not the one then there will be the one. He does sound awful nice and worth getting to know.

I wish you much luck!!!

J'Ollie Primitives said...

Have a twenty-minute coffee date.
No commitments, no significant time lost.
It may well be TOTALLY worth it.
If his emails are as charming as his profile...and if he is as charming IRL as his emails....WELL.

If not, it's a twenty-minute coffee date.
Cheering for you Julie!

Allison said...

He sounds wonderful, Julie! You deserve someone who will cherish you and tell you how beautiful you really are. I hope things continue to progress with him!

Me said...

Julie he doesn't need new glasses. You will be happy again. It doesn't mean that it has to include a man (but it would be a lot more fun) Make sure to work on loving yourself, while you are getting to know this man. A woman who loves her self is so beautiful--inside and out!!!

WonderMom said...

Woohoo! So they're not all freaks? I actually like this one...good luck!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to "hear" that Paul is the past.. now I need to "see" it. Let go and Let God direct you, give this guy a chance he's looking for love for his life not a momma for his kids. Step kids can be a handful, but they can turn your life around too AND if they don't live with him 24/7 you actually start to miss them. Go for it, take a walk, a bike ride, go to the zoo for God's sake what can it hurt?

Cher

Debz said...

He sounds good on paper Jules. I hope you decide to meet up and get to know each other with a little one on one.
I wouldn't let the kid issue be one. An issue that is.
I think you may well be on to something here. Can't wait to see what happens next!

jill jill bo bill said...

If I was there I would whack you. You ARE gorgeous. And even more than that you are beautiful on the inside. Everyone can see that. I am thrilled you have found someone that interests you. AND that he refuses to do a comb-over.

Can I be your flower girl?

I Am Who I Am said...

You know I'm a straight shooter and one who looks at chics as more than friends...so when I say I think you're attractive theirs no B.S. in it.

This man sounds interesting. I am a bit cautious of people I meet online. (Not because they're so many crazies) People often can make themselves sound very appealing on paper, but once face to face often fall short of what you had imagined them to be.

I would certainly set something up so you can meet him. You never know and you don't want to what if later down the road. If nothing else, it will give you a nudge in the right direction.

Anonymous said...

My first thought as I started reading his profile was "corny and kind of over emotional for a guy". Like one of those guys who will say anything as long as it sounds good. Almost like a "too good to be true" feeling if that makes sense.

BUT, as I read more I began thinking that he was aware that it was corny sounding, and it's actually part of his charm.

As I got to the end I was left feeling like "OK, this guy sounds pretty good. I like his sense of humor and I get the feeling that he's down to earth. If he's genuine (and I think he is) then he's quite the catch"

It's so hard to figure someone out through profiles and emails. When you meet him in person you'll be able to tell for sure.

I have to tell you, when you said this
"You will never be over this. The goal is that you live your life in spite of it."
It really struck a cord with me. It's so very true and pertains to a lot of crap I (and lots of people) have gone through in life. Thank you for sharing that. It's a great thing to keep in the back of the mind.

Julie, I wish you the best. I really do. You are beautiful inside and out and you deserve to be happy. You deserve this kind of guy. You deserve the "too good to be true" life, you deserve to have that happy feeling you had in Vegas all over again. You are SUCH a good person and I know regardless of the outcome, there is a prince charming for you. Maybe it's Joe and he's finally found you.

((((hugs))))

Julie D said...

Aw, you guys are so sweet.

I'm not gorgeous by any means (but thank you for thinking so!) but I'm a good solid 5 most days. I can live with that!

I'm more than willing to meet him and see if there's any chemistry. I'll keep you posted!

Emily said...

YAY! Finally a "fish" that doesn't need to be thrown back!!

The other gals are right - lady you ARE gorgeous!

He sounds fun and nice!! And not too full of himself and can kid about himself and that's the best!!

I hope you guys get to meet soon!!

*hugs*

chocolatecovereddaydreams.blogspot.com said...

There's so much I'd like to say to you but instead of writing a novel here, I will drop you an email. You are a beautiful lady, both inside and out so the person that you date and fall in love with, will have to know that as well and value that in you.

He sounds wonderful but in person will be the true determination.

I hope that he's "the one"!

Treasia Stepp said...

Go for it! He sounds honest, sincere and has a joking side as well. Perfect in my book. But it's yours that counts.

I have to say that I was much like you about the kids. I didn't know if I wanted to take on the responsibility and demands of helping raise step kids. But it was and is so worth it. They have helped me feel young again and if you truly love the daddy you love the kids too. I actually find myself ready and looking forward to seeing them and spending time with them each weekend.

Dr. Penny said...

Please, oh please, never live your life "in spite" of anything. You have to get over it completely to go forward. Getting over something doesn't mean saying it was ok, it just means understanding you can't do a damn thing about the past, but you sure as hell can about the NOW. Let's be clear about one thing: as long as you are still angry, there is a connection, and as long as there is a connection, you cannot move on. There is a fine line between love and hate, meaning as long as you invest ANY emotion in someone, you cannot be free to move on.

You keep saying you are finally over it, but after reading today's post, you are not. Why? What are you hanging on to? What injustice that you feel you have suffered have you not put down as a lesson to be learned from instead of feeling like a victim? Stop giving a shit about HOW your marriage ended and just know it did and it needed to because you didn't pick the right person, not because of any flaw of yours as a wife. Stop looking for marriage and all the trappings that go with it and just look for the person you love more than yourself. THEN the marriage will work out.

You need to date this guy -- sounds like he has his head on straight and maybe HE can get you over the final hump that your freinds haven't been able to help you flatten.....

Sandi said...

I disagree with Dr. Penny. I am in love with Brandon and have been for four years, that doesn't mean I am not still upset, devastated and have issues relating to my previous marriage. I am NOT over it, but I moved on and so can you. The issues and feelings we have are what makes us who we are and I don't believe that I will ever be FREE of the feelings that are tied up in my first marriage.

I am happy for you and hope you find the kind of love I did after a failed marriage. You deserve it!

Tiffany said...

I think he sounds fun. And I can't wait to hear what else goes on.

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

Wow. He sounds wonderful! And perfect for you!

Keeper Of All Things said...

What a great witty profile.
I say go for it!!!
Who knows.....

Coloradolady said...

This guy sounds wonderful. I hope you find what you are looking for. But this one...if he is anything like his profile, you should have a great time.

Julie D said...

Don't get too excited, folks. Haven't heard from him since early yesterday! LOL

Anonymous said...

I don't know who Dr. Penny is, but it doesn't sound to me like she ever had to deal with something as devistating as an affair.

You NEVER get over it completely. NEVER. That's a total crock of shit and if she's a real doctor someone please take away her title or at least give her some real life experience.

That's the thing about bad things in life. You learn from them but your life CHANGES because of them. It can never go back to what it was. Whether it be due to an affair, the death of a parent or a child, a horrible decision or experience, your life is FOREVER changed and you DO learn to live your life IN SPITE of that change.

She says: "You have to get over it completely to go forward"

I think that is putting the cart before the horse. If she believes this to be true then how does someone BEGIN the journey of moving forward? You have to move forward before you can start to get over it. Getting over it comes later.

I'm sorry but IMHO Dr.Penny's comment came off as incredibly insensitve and seems to be lacking any real world experience.

Julie D said...

@Jen...LOL it's all good, Penny is my long time (25 years!) BFF, so she has nothing but my best interest at heart. We just see things differently, that's all.

To me, you don't "get over" this kind of thing. That's like telling me to get over my sister dying. You learn to live in spite of it. My marriage, my divorce, his affair..those things changed WHO I AM. Irrepairably changed me, down to the core. So I am never going to get "over" that, as it's now part of me.

I'll rebound, I'll go on, I'll fall in love again, but it will be in spite of those things.

travel girl said...

I wasn't over my VIP until I started dating Mr. J.

He sounds wonderful and I am so excited to hear more about him and what transpires;)

Lisa L said...

Hi Julie...he sounds really great..and funny too..esp the part about the comb over...the only thing that bothered me a tad was when he said that if you had a weight problem then "we" would work on it. Huh? I don't know what *you* look like, but *I* have a weight problem and would rather work on it on my own..thank you very much :) I hope you can get together though...

Lisa L said...

Hi Julie...he sounds really great..and funny too..esp the part about the comb over...the only thing that bothered me a tad was when he said that if you had a weight problem then "we" would work on it. Huh? I don't know what *you* look like, but *I* have a weight problem and would rather work on it on my own..thank you very much :) I hope you can get together though...

Musings of the Mrs. said...

Congratulations on your decision to at least put yourself out there. I met my husband online and the first date was a little weird but by the second date we were ON. I'm excited for your new adventures and can't wait to read about them.

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Julie, I don't agree with that therapist; I think it's totally possible that someday, in the right time, you will be over it.

Like you, I thought my marriage was the result of a cosmic connection; we were incredibly in love! I felt duped by the Universe when it became obvious that he was choosing alcohol over me, and to maintain an iota of self-respect, I had to put an end to it.

I longed for him for YEARS, until last October when I finally said WTF am I doing? Almost immediately another door opened and I'm now in the most incredible, loving relationship--and he's healthy! Imagine that?

Of course, there are times when I wonder if/when the bottom will fall out of this one, but that's just fear. And my new mantra is "FUCK FEAR." Except my fear of birds--that's totally justified.

I'm sending positive vibes your way, my virtual twin sister.

Fragrant Liar said...

I. Am. So. Jealous.

Vegas Linda Lou said...

P.S. My kids are almost 30 and 31; my BF has three kids between 13 and 4. Christ, my grandson is older than two of his kids!!!

Doesn't matter. We'll make it work. So don't worry about the guy's kids.

Missy said...

Julie you are beautiful! He sounds great! Good luck!

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

Julie, you are such a beautiful woman....and he sounds like a great guy. Give it a chance and jump in with both feet. It is the only way to get your feet wet. Keep us posted though.....as to what you do do....

Anonymous said...

He sounds SO great! I'm wondering why Joe would be sending letters to a dating service......

Take a wee bit of advice: Don't go looking at him as potential marriage material. Look at him as potential LIFE material. He sounds grounded and that could be another word for rigid. Other than that, he seems to have a good moral foundation. Anyone who walks dogs for the animal shelter gets MY vote, and the kids can always meet an untimely...uh....maybe they WANT to leave home??????

Anonymous said...

Julie ~ meet him. You ARE gorgeous, he doesn't need new damn glasses. Reading his post...hell, YOU could have written it. And "something different" or not "your type" is not necessarily a bad thing. Think outside the box. Yo quiero Taco Bell LOL

SERIOUSLY.

Take a chance. He could be the one you've been waiting for, or at LEAST the one that lets you be free of your ex once and for all. TRUST ME when I say it's AMAZING when it happens.

Love you.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and p.s....not only did he NOT mis-spell anything, his grammar is impeccable! :)

binks said...

You are beautiful and this guy seems like a great prospect. Can't wait to hear more. (although, I sure love your posts about the freeaaaaks out there.)

Lilly said...

Oh look how late I am to seeing this post. I think he sounds very, very promising! And you are gorgeous. You also have a wonderful heart, an honesty that is refreshing and a fantastic personality! So there. He would be lucky to have you. Best of all I love this quote, “You will never be over this. The goal is that you live your life in spite of it.” Thanks, it hit me right between the eyes because I have been hanging onto stuff from the past I can never change or get over.

In fact I am going to print this out laminate it and carry it with me.

You deserve the best and you know you can be happy. You can and you bloody will. Do you hear me?

Keep us up to date and you sound as if you are really ready. Make this your year!