Thursday, January 8, 2009

OK kids, I need your help. I mean it this time. No, really.

I'm gonna need you to keep me from going postal.

That's right...because I'm quitting smoking. and working on my health.

I figured if I put this out there for the whole freaking world to see, I'm less likely to fall back into the old habit because too many of you will catch me. I have family and friends who read this blog every day, and they'll be ratting my smoky ass out if they smell it on me, or see me sucking on a Camel Menthol Light. (sob...I'll miss you, old friend).

Thing is, I don't smoke that much. Hell, I don't smoke 2 packs a week. Do the math, that's about 5 cigarettes a day. During the week, I never have one until around 11am when Amanda and I go outside at work and have one, and then we usually do it again sometime after lunch, say 2'ish. Then I'll have one before I head home, say 6pm or so, and then maybe one or two in the evening. On weekends, it's virtually the same thing. The only time I smoke more is if I'm drinking. You know the two go hand in hand.

But 5 cigarettes a day is doing just as much damage as a pack a day.

Dammit, I watched my sister die, a painful, slow, horrible death brought on by a massive stroke. She was overweight (me too...check), smoked (check), drank (check, although I don't drink nearly to the extreme that she did), didn't exercise (check), had elevated cholesterol (check), and the only difference between us is that she had high blood pressure and I don't. Although mine is higher than it used to be, but "high" for me is 120/80 which is most people's norm. Hell, I was 9 months pregnant and had gained 70 lbs and my BP was still only 98/52. I've always had low BP.

Anyway...

I have a goal. Just one. And it's very simple.

I want to be alive, and healthy, for a very long time to come.

I want to see my son become a successful director. I want to love his wife and spoil my grandkids. I want to still be active and strong when I'm 80, not bedridden and in a nursing home.

My immediate family tree has people dying of cancer, heart disease, heart attacks, strokes, Alzheimer's, colon cancer, etc. With my lifestyle, I'm a prime candidate for every single one of these things.

And I don't wanna die like they have. I want to live.

So here's the deal. I won't bore you with this every day, I promise, but I ask that if you notice I'm not mentioning anything about how I'm doing with not smoking, eating better and exercising...CALL ME OUT ON IT.

Because trust me, I have the ability to dodge and evade down to a science! You would be amazed at what kinds of bad behaviors I can hide. I'm a regular Criss Angel with my sleight of hand techniques. (I suck at levitating though.)

It's actually kind of sad...I just read over this and thought to myself...do I really want to put this out there, and let all of my readers and blogging buddies watch me fail? Isn't that sad to think that I just automatically tell myself I won't be successful??? Boy, this girl needs work not only on her health, but her mental health as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, I've come up with my first plan to combat cigarette cravings! When I'm at home, and I find myself dying (literally) for a cigarette, I'm going to jump on the exercise bike and pedal until the craving goes away. I figure that's a win win situation...I'm NOT smoking, and I'm exercising all at once! Good idea, right? And to take that a step further, at work when I crave one, I'm going to take the stairs to the basement and back up here to the 2nd floor. Again...getting exercise instead of lung cancer.

I can do this. I know I can. And at the end of this year, when I have lost an Olsen a nice chunk of weight, and am exercising regularly and feeling pretty damn full of myself for looking hot at 48 years old...

I will pull a Kirstie Alley and post a picture of me in a bathing suit on here.

I'm not shitting you.

In fact, I'll go as far as saying I will post it REGARDLESS, so either we are all going to be high fiving me for how fucking fabulous I look at the end of the year...or we'll all be mortified and laughing hysterically at my bovine body in a bathing suit.

Only I would have the balls required to make a threat promise like this.

It's too late, I have gone insane. Especially since I just hit "Publish Post". I can't take this shit back now. Oy vey!

32 comments:

Robynbeth said...

Good for you!!!! I am cheering you on because I know how hard it is to break this addiction. It isn't easy, but I have full faith you can and will do it.

Liz said...

In the words of Michelle Tanner: "You got it dude!!" :)

Let's try and change your family tree ailments...starting with YOU. :)

Anonymous said...

You can do it!!!

Hey come to Lifestyle family fitness with me! I had so much fun taking a Body Jam class last night. I am so not coordinated but it's a new dance class they are putting on. Fab music and people of all sizes, ages and races in the class.

chathu said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

julie...first of all, you will NOT fail! You are worth a long life. This past weekend when my daughter was not feeling well, I had my 2 year old grandgirl here. Hubster told me later, "you really play with her" Damn Right. I wish this for you. Get down on the floor, sit 'indian style', do crawling races, climb up and down the stairs and play hard with a grandchild, until you both are ready for a nap! One day this can be a gift to yourself!
I am a reformed smoker (so watch out, girlfriend!) stopped 'cold turkey' in 1987 after smoking for 15 years (man, I'm old when I type it out) my oldest daughter was learning about Cancer and asked who will take care of her if I die? Here are my tricks (even tho you did not ask) FireBalls...oh yeah, they burn your tongue like nicotine! Cut straws the size of a cigarette and hold it between your fingers like a cig...it's called a mind-game. Let the mind win!
Truly, if you exercise and drink lots of water (less booze) you will be able to get a handle on this. It's this simple: control the situation, don't let it control you!
I'm here for you, Julie!
YOU CAN DO THIS!

~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

Debz said...

I'm with Airmen Mom, the straw thing is helpful. I also quit cold turkey about 16 years ago. I was bartending and Ionly smoked when I was working so I think it was more of a habit than an addicition for me. But to be honest, since you can almost nail down the exact time you have one each day, it sounds like more habit for you too. I'm not saying you dont crave one, I just think you can stop the habit.
It will be hard Jules - real hard - but I have the utmost faith in you. Besides, you can't smoke in or around my house (heh).
Keep us posted or we WILL harrass you. That's not a threat, that's a promise.

Kensi said...

I have fail in you!! Go for it...

Anonymous said...

ooohhh! the big guns huh?!
I am proud of you. great goals. Since my post on losing love handles but not the curves, i've lost 10 lbs. it was not arduous to my surprise, just a 'series of smarter choices' over time.
you can do this, and you betcha i'm going to call you on it.

My husband quit smoking with the aid of (and i'm going to spell it how it sounds)'chantix'. He recommends it to everyone and others have had success. He says it gives you a near aversion to cigs. He says your body does not crave the nicotine any longer. He has been a non smoker for nearly 2 years now. His breathing has improved and his skin looks better.
You go girl!

Unknown said...

You can do it Julie!!! I really want to quit too...I keep saying tomorrow tomorrow, I smoke from stress and I stress a lot!

Trisha.R.Jackson said...

That's a great goal!!! I have coworkers who quit cold turkey. Every time they wanted a smokey, they'd put on their coat just like normal but instead of going outside, they walked down the stairs and back up the stairs for the same amount of time they would have usually been out smoking. So they were faking it AND getting exercise :).

Trisha.R.Jackson said...

WOW! And you got Blog Spammed by Chathu.

Kim and Dave said...

You CAN do this, Julie. I know it!! I have faith in your ability to CRUSH this habit.

Anonymous said...

I also have faith in you-I need to do the same-health and $ reasons!! Anytime just call me and I will talk you out of that smoke!!!!! You would think I would be able to quit as well after losing my mom, dad and grandma to cancer-Good for you-you can do it!!!

Amy Amy Bo Bamey said...

You can do it! My mom quit a few years ago because she wanted to spend as much time with her grandkids as possible and plus when she would come to visit she could not smoke at my house.

We will be here for you!

travel girl said...

I'm the Queen of relentlessness! I will ride your ass like Zorro regarding your nasty behavior.

I'm not sure I'm any better though.

I HATE smoking. Said i would never date a smoker. And here I am, dating a smoker.

I ride his ass like Zorro too ;)

Allison said...

((HUGS)) You can do it, babe! I think it's a great goal that you've got--being generally healthy is fantastic and I think quitting smoking is a great first step!

Megryansmom said...

Yay to a healthier non smoking Julie! If you do the math, 2 packs a week is what $7? times 52 that's $364! Or airfare to Vegas!

gsgmusicman said...

Merry Christmas and Happy NY to you.. way behind on mail. Yes, ice counts, though 30+ inches of snow wins!!!
Run Vinnie Run...
Good for you on the smoking quitting thingy. Stick to your guns...

Linda S said...

*applause* good for you! can't wait to cheer you on!

chocolatecovereddaydreams.blogspot.com said...

K...I'm gonna cheer you on and kick you bottom if you fall off the wagon. I'll be the drill sargeant from hell..but only you stay on me too. I've got to get back into some sort of shape as well.

What you need are some visuals. Do a vision board. I did that many years ago and it really helped.

Give yourself little rewards too.

You can do it, Jules! You can!!!

Julie D said...

Thanks everyone! I know I can do it. I've done it before!

J'Ollie Primitives said...

The straw thing works. So does wearing a big attractive rubber band on your wrist and snapping it hard when you feel the need. (for a smoke, not a shot of p.a.i.n.!)Sugar free candy canes too. You go girl!

Leslie said...

Stopping by to say hi, found you from "Cheaper Than Therapy's" blog. When my mom was 47 (over 20 yrs ago) she had a stroke. She was overweight and she smoked. Fortunately it was minor and just enough to scare the sh*t out of her. She stopped smoking that day. Stop before you're forced too.

Great post. I know it's not easy, but YOU CAN DO IT!

Now.... you've got a new follower. I'm going to keep an eye on you.

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Oh, Julie, you're freakin' awesome! Posting this provides a sense of accountability--now you have to do it. But if you were really, really super fucking brave, you'd post a "Before" picture. In a bathing suit, of course. Don't hit me.

SS+1 said...

I think you rock! I actually heard a smoking cessation number on the radio this morning... 1800-quitplan. It's free, and they will send you gum, patches, etc. :)

We're here to read if you have frustrations to vent..but I have a strong feeling you'll be successful in quitting, especially if you put your mind to it!!

Me said...

I must admit I totally love the posting of the pic no matter what. I will join you in that--On December 31,2009 we will both post swim suit pics (I may even take a before pic--not sure it will get posted however). I am in it with you. It is always best to have a buddy and from the looks of it I am just one of many!!! You can't fail with all of us helping you along!!

Anonymous said...

I am a total failure and a loser and none to bright in the bargain. I stopped smoking for 16 years, then when I was at the fire department, shaking and crying for one year while going through a divorce, there were suddenly hands reaching for me and they all had cigarettes. I lit up and thought "SO THIS is what's been missing in my life" and I started smoking again 10 years ago.

This Feb I spent a week in the hospital on morphine and by the time i left, I WAS A NON SMOKER. No coughing. I could breathe. I felt great. Then I remembered the FIFTEEN years and how I blew it, and started thinking: Just get it over with. You KNOW that at some point you're going to start again, so just get it over with.

Taadaaa. Smoker again.

Now I'm hoping for another hospital stay. I really am. I figure that if i can do it ONE MORE TIME, I'll STAY stopped.

On the other hand, exercise, diet, stop smoking, die anyway. arghhhh

GOOD LUCK YOU CAN DO IT.

jill jill bo bill said...

I have my fingers crossed for you! I know you can do it! Camel Menthol? That is like the strongest! I would pass out with one puff.

Lilly said...

Way to go Julie. Thats what I call taking charge of your life!!

Anonymous said...

OMG. You're gonna walk down to the basement and back up again? I still have pains in my legs and back from doing that when I was pregnant with Jesse. That's a hell walk.
You go girl, if anyone can do it, you can. Oh, and I got this post on a holistic list I'm on for quitting smoking, and I think I'm giving it a shot as well. According to the Old Farmer's Almanac, the best days in January to stop smoking is the 1st and the 18th, and since the 1st is passed... Also, according to the OFA, the best days to start a diet to lose weight are the 1, 5 and 28th....so I"m giving that a whirl too.
If we can both do it, we should go get something pierced :)

Teresa said...

Oh good for you! I am sure that you will succeed! I understand your motivation and that is what you will need to remember!

Fight the good fight!

crrv said...

Julie, if there is one gift you can give to your terrific child, it's the gift of being around when he has kids. My Dad passed away when I was 25 and never saw me get married or have kids. I want to be around when Ruby and Violet have kids. I want to be the grandma that spoils her grandkids. So should you.