Monday, November 23, 2009

The one where Julie gets serious


My friend Sarah has let me know that her niece Mattie is in need of a lot of prayers, so I am turning to you, my readers, to ask for help.

Mattie is 4 years old, and she was diagnosed with a brain tumor at the age of two. Her parents went through fourteen months of treatment with her and she was pronounced cancer free in January of this year.  This photo is a picture of her that was used in a St. Jude's print ad in August 2008, when she was being treated for the initial illness.

Unfortunately, the cancer has recurred and this little gal is in trouble.

I would like to ask all of you to say a prayer for this beautiful little lady, and keep her in your thoughts. The power of prayer can work miracles, and Mattie is in desperate need of a miracle this holiday season.

She has a Caring Bridge website set up, please click here to go to the site and get caught up on Mattie's story. Feel free to sign the guest book to let this family know that they are in your thoughts and prayers as they navigate their way through this life changing experience. Or else just leave them a comment here, and I will make sure Sarah gets the blog link to Mattie's parents, so that they can read all the prayers we are sending out to their little girl.

Also, I'd like to remind you that you can donate to St. Jude's Children's Hospital at participating retailers this holiday shopping season. Sarah explained to me that St. Jude's provided at least a million dollars worth of treatment for Mattie during her stay, and provided food every day for her family. Target paid for 100% of their housing and furniture during the 8 months or so they had to live in Memphis while Mattie was being treated.

Thanksgiving is a time to give thanks for the blessings in our lives. I know Mattie is a wonderful blessing to her parents and family, and I send them comfort and love today and every day to come.




God bless you, Miss Mattie.

17 comments:

Beverly @ The Buzz said...

Wow, I can't even imagine. I have an almost 4-year-old granddaughter who thankfully is in perfect health. Prayers will be offered for Mattie and her family.

Rebecca said...

Praying for Mattie and her family.

Lee the Hot Flash Queen said...

That is so sad. I will be thinking about her. On Sunday I left you something on my blog...I can't remember if you picked it up! If you did, great, if not, please do!

Southern Sage said...

Damn that sucks.

Good JuJu for Mattie

dle said...

mattie and her family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for sharing her story.

Joanie M said...

Adding Miss Mattie to my prayer list.

Violet said...

Ah, this is so hard. My prayers and good thoughts to Mattie and her family.

Soxy Deb said...

Nothing hurts my heart more than a sick child. This sucks. Plain and simple.

I'll keep Mattie and her family in my thoughts Jules. And in my heart.

won said...

Julie,

I hope I don't piss you off with this. I think you know by now I am not one to simply do self promotion simply for ego's sake.

But this post of yours undoubtedly hit a nerve. It happens to run at a time have one that I think is worth piggybacking. If you feel differently of course, I don't need to tell you you can delete it and cuss at me a bit.

Here it is:

http://brokenwon.blogspot.com/

gayle said...

Thank you so much for this post!! You have done a wonderful thing!!! Pray does work and I will be praying. My grandson had surgery on his head when he was 7 months and was in the hospital for a week. I can't imagine what her parents are going through. Thank you Thank you

Ladybird said...

Gosh, I can't imagine. I am a very lucky parent. I love your blog. Many wishes, ladybird

http://wwww.ladybird33.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

julie, thank you so much. my family apprecaites your kind words. i will spread the love when i see dear miss mattie on thursday - a day we are certainly thankful to have this year.

xoxo

sarah

Trisha R Jackson said...

Sarah, my heart aches for your family. Lots of (((hugs))) in this trying time.

Dr. Penny said...

At 4, Mattie probably still remembers that all is perfect, that we can't see the big picture, and that faith in the fact that God makes no mistakes is the most important asset we have. I pray that Mattie and her family find the joy in this journey.

Anonymous said...

Adding my prayers for this little one and her family.

Cassie

Danica said...

She is so precious and this is all so sad. I'm always praying for Mattie and her family.

jaded said...

I will send positive energy (aka prayers) her way. What a struggle...