You might remember This Post from January when Jordan and his ex-girfriend went to Chicago as well. At least I didn't put him on a plane this time, now I just have to worry about him driving 6 hours and navigating the
I gotta tell ya, this empty nest thing is not all it's cracked up to be. Jordan has hardly been home this summer. I know he still lives here because food disappears and somebody is taking showers here. But for the most part, we communicate via text message or phone call. The few nights he has slept at home (which is maybe twice a week if I'm lucky), he gets in at 3am and of course I am sleeping, waking long enough to hear him stick his head in my room, say he's home, and shut my door. Then I get up and go to work and he's in bed, and by the time I get home he's at work, and the cycle starts over.
For the most part I'm getting used to "living alone". I can eat cereal for dinner and not have to worry about cooking. I can have the TV to myself. I don't have to be quiet most mornings for fear of waking him up. Pretty much any mess in the house is mine. I am learning to sleep okay being alone in the house at night. (Thank God I have security system!)
But I miss parenting. And more importantly, I miss my son.
He doesn't need me anymore, and that is so hard to take. I feel like I got fired from a job I thought I was doing really well, and for no reason! And the worst part, is that my fears, my worries about his safety and wellbeing didn't go away with the job loss...if anything they have intensified.
I worry about him all the time. And I realize I am worrying about things that are out of my control and it's a waste of time to obsess over it.
But I do anyway.
I try not to let it show. I try to act like I'm all fine and good with him being an adult and for the most part, supporting himself. I try to remember that I have done a great job with him, that he has always been very mature for his age, and I raised him with values and principals, and taught him right from wrong.
I try to remember that he is an adult.
He can get married if he wants.
He can serve and protect our country, and carry a gun.
He can vote.
He can legally buy cigarettes. LOL
He is responsible for his own future, and if God forbid he were to get in trouble with the law or whatever, I can't fix it.
But he's my baby. And it's hard for me to see him as a man. A grown up. Ready to go off and live his life without me.
Sigh.
So here's the deal, I am going to try really hard to leave him alone this week, and let him enjoy his vacation without Mom checking in with him ten times a day. I'm going to trust him to be safe, be careful, be smart and pay attention to his surroundings. I know he's going to go to clubs and be out late, and I just have to relax and know that many of you parents who read my blog have been through the same thing, and your child(ren) survived and so did you.
I may have to sedate myself to get through the week though...send booze and Xanax will ya?
But I'm really going to try to let go, and let him stand on his own two feet.
The good news is that his sister lives like a mile away from where he will be staying so I know she can get to him if he needs something. And at least two of my blogging buddies live in Chicago, so Rita and Kathy....stay by your computers. Haha
On a brighter note, you might want to check his blog link every day (it's the one on the right about getting your Daily Fred) as I'm sure he'll be updating it with pictures and stuff like he did last trip, and of course Fred went with him. I'm guessing we'll get lots of interesting Fred pictures this trip!
23 comments:
Well I thought that the booze and xanax were to get through the day....lol
You are doing a great job, in time you will know that this was a time for both of you to grow in different ways and love your lives in a whole new light.
You sound like a great mom. Looking at it from the opposite perspective, you should know we worry about you too. My mom lives 500 miles from me and lives alone. We talk everyday, but I know she misses me and I miss her. She'll call me with some crazy story about fixing a leaking faucet by herself and I just imagine her with some big wrench attempting home improvements. Funny thought.
I know you miss your son, but don't forget that he loves you and even if he is busy off living his life - he is taking part of you with him each day.
Oh, Julie....I do understand. You love your son and being his mom is a big part of who you are. I get it. My oldest daughter has been on her own for 13 years, she is a mom...but forever she is my little girl (in my heart).
That letting go gig, is tough but necessary. You have been such a good mom to a little boy, then a good mom to teenage guy...now you will be a good mom to a man.
He loves you and he will always make sure you know this (in his way!)
~AM
((hugs))
While xanax helps (spoken by one who knows) booze is better (spoken by one who knows) You might not be aware of this, but I just turned Fifty-ten and I JUST NOW let my daughter go. She's 40. There comes a time to "back away" but THEY have to do the speed bumps. You can't expect too much of yourself. Don't look for the BIG BREAK. It won't happen. It has to be BABY STEPS...along with xanax and booze of course.
I understand all too well what you are going through,but he will always need you and love you. The older he gets the closer you will be. A Mothers protective instinct never leaves,it's a lifetime job. My son's are 36 and 41(I'm 59,had them young)and at times when I look at them I still see my two little boys faces smiling back at me. Hang in there,it gets better. I got to run but wanted to comment.
Ah such a sweet posting, but you made me cry. I know it's hard. HUGS
It sounds like you have brought him up to have sound judgment and he sounds mature. I'm sure he'll be fine. My daughter is 24 and went through some times I never thought I'd survive but now she is the bomb.
I think calling once a day is perfectly acceptable. ;-)
As my neighbor says about her kids growing up and going away for college - "you are being outsourced." Sounds better than being fired, right?
I read your post and thouht " I don't remember writing this". You spoke from my heart. I have 3 adult daughters. 35-26-24 (That looks like you could shuffle those numbers and have "Barbie's" measurements.) Anyway, I am a helicoptor Mom and they know it. I am so very lucky that they always call to report in after they get home (from whereever they are), even my oldest married daughter. But, they expect me to do the same thing. We always have done that. We call it common courtesy. Didn't I train (brainwash) them well? My youngest daughter works in Teton Nat. Pk, Wy.8 months out of the yr. She drove from NC (home) to Wy ALONE in April, instead of flying. Xanax and wine. No kidding!
I remember when Kat went to college and I was in the empty nest mode...as a single mom...it got good...and then she had to come home with chicken pox....I could not wait for her to go back to school. LOL
My kid leaves for college in 4 weeks. I can't wait. At least your son sticks his head in when he gets home and lets you know he's home.
I have alays been told that a good Mom never stops worrying about her "babies". Sounds to me like you are one fab Mom :)
Love this post.....I have a son the same age as yours - only child as well. He is going into the Marines in December and I know that will be super tough. I feel good in the way he was raised and he has shown much maturity....now it's my turn to show that maturity and let him go....it's gonna be tough and take lotsa booze but I'm going to make him proud!!! Thanks again for the post.
I'm back,saw your new picture and said"well look at you",love it,got to go!
Hi,back again!I haven't had a drink so I'm not drunk,my glasses are fairly new,I'm either crazy or having more TIA's again,or somebody keeps switching your picture.lol
Awww Jules you made me cry...I sooooooooooooooooooo know what you are thinking, feeling...I dread these upcoming years. My oldest step child moved out and went off to college and it crushed me... Parenting never ends, we will always love and want to take care of them.
Just use my cuffs and tie ya butt to the bed lol
I don't have any kids but my girlfriend is going through the same thing with her son. It sounds like you've done a great job with him. Baby steps..
Oh my... We were very much on the same page this day.
On the road and just got caught up with your blog. I agree: empty nest sucks. You did (do) have a job as Jordan's parent and you will have that job all your life. What you have been doing for the first 18 years was a project within the job. The objective of the project was to take a human being from birth to 18 and create an adult human being who could go out into the world to love and be loved, to be responsible enough to take care of himself, and to make decisions that create great experiences for the rest of his life.
You haven't been fired, you're just done with this project. Whether or not you get a raise (the feeling of great accomplishment that comes when your child does well as an ADULT) depends on how well HE does now! But, you will always have the job and there may be times in the future when you wish you could get fired if your lessons didn't sink in and he makes many mistakes.
Based on what I have seen personally, you will get a raise...so stop worrying -- you're wasting valuable stress you could be using exercising!!
awww - a sappy post - how cute. boy are you in for a surprise. when i turned 18 my mother thought much like you are thinking now. but i found that the older i got the more i needed her. what a paradox.
I know what you're going through. I have three sons that are 19, 17 & 15. It's so hard to deal with the fact that mom isn't the center of their life anymore. And I abosolutely FREAK if they are even 5 minutes late. Accidents and cult abductions running through my head!!
Post a Comment