I've dealt with my ghosts and I've faced all my demons
Finally content with a past I regret
I've found you find strength in your moments of weakness
For once I'm at peace with myself
I've been burdened with blame, trapped in the past for too long
I'm movin' on...
I have not been totally truthful with you guys this past couple of years about being "single". And the reason for that is because I've been involved with my ex the entire time. For the past five years, in fact, since our divorce. Some of my real world friends know this, a few of my blogging buddies do, but I'm tired of hiding and pretending to be someone I'm not. Pretending like I'm single and looking and just haven't met the good guy yet. (OK well technically that is true, because I am single and looking, but still!)
I'm telling you this now, because the relationship has finally run it's course. In Vegas. LOL Yeah, most people go there and start relationships, I go there to end mine. But it's ironic really, because we honeymooned there so I guess it is appropriate.
I should have ended our relationship with our divorce like normal people do, but I didn't. And over the years it became habit more than anything else. He gave me with someone to do things with on the weekends, to travel with, etc. It was no grand marital reconciliation, I think it was more a case of "not bad enough to leave, not good enough to stay".
Relationship purgatory, if you will.
I've been easing out of this for months, recognizing awhile ago that we were really just nothing more than friends who had been married once and were so used to being together that we were just too ingrained in the habit to stop wasting each other's time and move on. And the need to move on kicked into high gear back in January when I met a really great guy, and I was in no position to pursue anything because of the situation I was in. (And damn, that pissed me off!)
Honestly, the idea of dating scared the shit out of me. But when I met someone who really interested me and I was too embarrassed to say ""Hey, I need to close this door before I can open another one, can you hang in there with me for a few weeks while I extricate myself from this?", well that's when I realized I had to change my situation and fast, because precious time was slipping away and there are perfectly great guys out there getting snatched up by other women who are smart enough to actually divorce their husbands when they divorce their husbands. LOL But it still took me 5 months to do it! I just had to get really, really tired of not getting my needs met, and get my head and my heart on the same page. And that finally happened. (And yes, Penny....I mean it this time.)
Anyway....that's why I came home from Vegas early, on Thursday night. Well, that and my Mom of course. However, her situation was not life threatening, and I could have stayed until Saturday as planned. But I just couldn't. Emotionally, I hit a wall on Wednesday, and I had that moment where you realize that you're really just DONE. When I got the call Thursday morning that my Mom was going back to the hospital, I knew it was a sign from God or the Universe or Oprah that I needed to get my sorry ass on a plane back to Columbus, so I did.
And I've gotta tell you, I feel amazing. I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted off my shoulders. I feel like I have been stagnant for so long, and now I'm happy and excited about what my future holds for me, for the first time in many, many years. I have hope, and that's something I haven't had since 2005.
I'm telling you all this because part of my "starting over" is coming clean and being honest about who I am and what I'm doing. I've been too ashamed to admit that I was still dating my ex, so I just didn't talk about it and instead, gave you all the impression that I had no involvement with him. I am sorry that I mislead you, and I hope that you will forgive me. I promise not to do that again.
I am all about being my authentic self now, and part of that is admitting my flaws (and I've got lots of 'em, trust me), identifying and correcting my weaknesses, and making the changes necessary to have the life and love I've only allowed myself to dream about.
And you know I'll blog about it every step of the way. I hope you'll take this journey with me.
32 comments:
Hey, congratulations on all the steps you've taken! Way to go! Any way you can get a hold of that guy who slipped away?
Oh my, you must have lost 48 pounds getting rid of that one. One day at a time is what they say, good luck, stay real to your self it will all work out. Mary
Hell, Darling, wearing comfortable clothes for too long gets old. That old pair of shoes just finally gave up. That is what my aunt would have said, then gave you a hug a laugh and then say to you, let's go see if we can find you something new...
Sometimes it real hard, and you might not find anything for a while, but then one day, out of the blue, there it will be...the perfect dress, shirt, shoes...or person...just takes a while, that's all...LOL
This is the second blog I've read today from a woman who should have left a relationship 5 years ago. I've been telling myself the same thing. "I wish I could have the last five years back!" Well, since we can't let's just resolve to move forward and never look back.
I'm happy for you that you feel like a burden has been lifted. I know how hard it can be to trust that things will be better by letting go. Enjoy the new journey!
Glad you came clean, but seriously how could you have stayed with him? guess I am still in the angry stage of mine cuz I want to scratch my soon-to-be-ex's eyes out!!!I cant go anywhere near him!!
But onto better things for you!! and your aura will send off better vibes so those good guys will come knocking!!! yay!!
now, when is it my turn?
Jill from NY
Aww honey, we all have flaws. Hell I had to move half way across the country to get away from my ex, it was just too damn easy to go back to him and put up with the abuse than to have to struggle while living on my sisters couch!
Good for you! As time goes by you'll be amazed with how "free" you really feel! It's like shedding a layer of skin that's been holding you down all this time!
Lol...ok that kinda sounded creepy!! I wish you nothing but the best love!!
New journey? Woo hoo,lets go girl!
Good job on starting over for real this time. You know I'm along for the ride.
...Good for you!!! Buckle up it is going to be a hellva ride now...
please, don't feel guilty. or don't for LONG. do whatever you think is right and we (I at least!) will be here cheering for you. do what is best for YOU, because you only have to make YOU happy, not "us."
love, diane
You know I'll be following with you the whole way. Good for you for taking this step--I hope you stay away from him for good this time and turn your life onto a better path. ((HUGS))
Divorce is a loss and you had to go through the grieving of it....part of that journey is denial.
You have now reached the stage of acceptance and hallelujah~! You are now free of spirit and ready to meet the rest of your life....good for you!
Here's to many great days ahead of you. So glad that you are able to come to a sense of closure and can move on.
Looking forward to hearing the rest of your journey. So glad we can join you on your trip.
Wow, you take the "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" very serious - you left the guy there!
It sounds like you are doing just what you need to do - even the things that don't work out are part of a necessary journey to get to the good stuff!
I♥you no matter what! There is nothing you could say or tell that would change how much I care for you...there are a group of you that i would be lost without...you,jill,deb,amybo....again I ♥ you!
Wow, for a second there I was beginning to relate to how a priest must feel at a confessional. LOL But seriously: Good for you. I think "the Retired One" said it perfectly. Move forward and don't look back.
Hey, I have an award waiting for you on my blog. I hope you like it, it involves a little "fun."
I am so glad you have gotten out of something that you felt was weighing you down..no one is here to judge...I hope...
Woo Hoo!!!! to you for arriving at this conclusion. Everyone has to deal with things in their own way. Whether the way you do that suits anyone else doesn't matter - to thine own self be true!! I hope you continue to move forward and are able to obtain the life you deserve (it's out there and it is possible)
Shew about time! Good for you for recognizing you need to get rid of him. I hope you can do it and you know I'm here if you need anything!
Well good for you finally realizing you are done! Good for you. We all end thngs only when we are ready and only then. You are finally ready and I am so happy for you.
Julie...it's all good. Unhealthy relationships often feel 'normal', until one day. When one day arrives, all you can do is change your path and it's not easy.
You are one lucky girl to have such a strong support system...in your 'real' life and here in the blogosphere.
It's Tuesday...a new day. Make it the way you wish it to be.
Hugs...
~AM
Each day with you is like keeping up with a soap opera. I have to tune in to see what is going to happen next. It just takes some of us longer to get our act together.
There are all kind of stages in grief and romance. Some people need a little more time before reality hits them between the eyes. Glad you are coming out the other end stronger.
You had a lot of years invested in the man, I don't think it's all that strange that you had a hard time letting go. Look how many celebrity couples we hear about getting back with an ex and lots of "real" folks, too. It's taken a while but you know your mind now and walk into your future head held high.
Hee hee, I seriously thought you were gonna say you were gay! (not that there's anything wrong with that!) You've been hooking up with your ex on the side? Shit honey, who hasn't? Your journey thru your life is yours. You make the best decisions you can and on you go. Leave guilt out of the equation. It's just an anchor... dead weight.
Now you get out there and enjoy the hell out of your life :)
Mandy
You have done what you felt comfortable with in the past, but now you are moving on - good for you. Enjoy your new found freedom.
I think life is so hard for all of us...married or single....we just do the best we can....mistakes are made over and over.....at least I have made plenty! You did what you had to do for you at the time!! Looking forward to reading more about you!!
Talk about shedding some weight! You have just lost a whole person...no wonder you feel lighter! Go, girl!
Hell, I been on this ride for a long time and I thouhgt I had a ticket to ride till me or the ride broke. But, since this is the first I knew of the fake out since the last time you told me it was REALLY over, I don't know. I just don't have anything else to say cause I have already said it all and am out of new twists on the subject, so I sign off with what I have signed off with for 5 years: if you are not investing your time there, you can let Mr. Right in, but you won't do that till you stop being scared. From someone who thought she was a BFF, I hope you are fearless now.
Will I take the journey with you??? I'll ride shotgun! There are so many reasons on why relationships end and we still sort of stay in limbo. My husband and I have been together almost 9 yrs this October. Before we actually got married we broke up 3x and still *hung out* together - WTF? And we were only dating - we had not yet made the huge investment of marraige yet. Matters of the heart are tough - and no one should ever judge anyone. The act of divorce is only a formality unless you are *truly* ready to move on. It seems that you are now. I have not been there - but I can imagine it is scary and frightful to venture out there again and to put your feelings out there again - eventually.
I can appreciate that you NEVER judged me on my journey with the loss of my daughters -- that is truly a grace that not many IRL people I know have afforded me. I am only happy to follow your journey and give you my feedback but most importantly my support.
HUGS!
Good for you! Now maybe I can get up the courage to do the same!
Post a Comment