Monday, July 20, 2009

Provocative start to the week...

An interesting question was posed in a movie last night, and it got me thinking.

And therefore, I'm going to get you thinking today.

Here's the question....and for the record, I will post my answer in the comments section later today.

Ready?

If you were to be asked the most difficult thing you can imagine by your best friend, what would it be?

Think about that for a minute.

And then tell me what your friend would ask you that would be so difficult for you to answer....is it something he or she wants you to do like 'Will you raise my children if I die tragically tomorrow?', or are they asking you to confirm something you may have already done such as 'Did you ever sleep with my ex-boyfriend when we were dating?'

What would be the hardest question for you to answer?

13 comments:

chocdrop said...

The most difficult thing she would ask me is to take someone's life. I couldn't even imagine that she would but that would be the thing I just would NOT do. Sorry, BFF, but I just could not do it, LOVE YA

Anonymous said...

If my friend had a child that was on life support and she could not bear to pull the plug herself and asked me to do it.. I'm not sure I could do it either. Even though I was doing it for her, for the child, and there was no hope...I would be afraid that she would always feel that I killed her child and gave up...


Cher

Anonymous said...

I can't talk about it here because she has your blog link, so just incase she's reading this: BFF you know I love you but there are some things that would be hard to answer and there is one specific question that I always try to avoid.

Sorry can't put it in print!

OHN said...

I had to stop and think about this one. I have many friends but because of many reasons, I don't have a "best" friend. I was burned long ago and it has made me put up my walls in regard to letting it all out.

On the other hand, at this point that BF would probably be my husband, which is really hard, because how do you bitch to your BF when it is your BF that is pissing you off?

So, instead, I put my real feelings online for the entire world to read.

What was the question again?

Sue said...

I'm with OHN in that I don't have a best friend either. Hell, I'd say I don't even have any really close friends. I've learned through the years that people suck, so I keep my distance. That being said, I think the worst thing any friend could ask would be something like "can we be best friends?" because then I'd be sure they were going to do something stupid shortly thereafter.

Unknown said...

hopefully, I have already lived through this...many years ago, my best friend called me to tell me she was leaving her husband because she fell in love with her pastor. She told me she was leaving her 3 children and he was leaving his 5 children. She told me she called me, since I was divorced; I'd understand and they needed my love and support to get through this. I, of course told her I did not understand leaving your children, EVER! They went through it anyway and here it is 15 years later...BF and pastor are still married, destroyed the relationship forever with a few of the children and I have never been able to look at her the same. We are friends, certainly not BF's.
Does this qualify?
(she reads my blog from time to time, so please don't lead her back here!)
Wow...haven't had to touch this in a long time!
~AM

AmyK said...

My BFFs know I would raise their children, or walk through fire for them. I think the tough question would have to involve my husband. Like, " I'm in love with your husband and we want a life together but can we still be friends?" That would be "no".

Gertrude Groggins - said...

I think mine has already asked me - she was divorcing her husband and had decided to leave her son with him and move away because "it was all just too much to take." Would I give her soon to be ex a letter explaining her reasons? He was and still is a good friend of mine as well. I refused to give him the letter and stayed pissed at her for years- not talking to her at all. You don't abandon your children period. period. period.

Kim said...

I don't know what the toughest question would be - something like AmyK most likely.

I had major surgery in 2001 and I asked my best friend to carry out and plan my funeral, as I wished, if I didn't make it. (I was sure my hubs would be a basket case and would be relieved to have someone else take care of this.) She said yes. :) I even gave her all the info. for the funeral I would want - where, songs, pastor, where to put my ashes, etc. She's a good friend and thankfully she did not need to take action on my wishes.

Violet said...

The toughest question I can think of is if my BFF would ask me to choose between her and the man I love or my family. (It would never happen, she's NOT that kind of person.) I have loved her for 30 years but if it came to a choice, I think she'd lose...simply because she forced me to make that choice.

Wow, I don't even like writing that down.

Anonymous said...

I have to answer this anonymously. The most difficult question my best friend could ask me is if I've been unfaithful in my marriage. I have, and I am so very sorry that it happened. I know it would devastate her, and I hate that I would disappoint her that badly.

Linda Collison said...

There are certain things real friends don't ask of you. And it's ok to say no. I can think of a slew of difficult questions to which I'd say MYOB. Maybe that's why I don't have many friends.

I suppose my best friend is my husband. I gave him one of my kidneys, I give him my loyalty, but he can never have my freedom or my soul, and he doesn't ask.

Charmed said...

My best friend is a lesbian...she asked me to carry her child for her. I had to decline. Not because I didn't want her to be a mother but because I was already here with two children and there was no way I could see myself as a single momma preggo with someone else's child. She didn't understand and we couldn't talk for months. She knows I love her but I don't think she quite realized the hardship of being preggo with other children to look after. I think that maybe, someday, she will get it. I hope at least...