Friday, July 24, 2009

The Incredible Hulk Lives

So yesterday I had a melt down.

If you read my post about my weigh in, you know I was NOT happy about the situation. Logically I do know that my weight loss is a slow journey, but damn does it have to be half a pound a week?

I really felt like I was going to have a good loss week yesterday, and when I got up and had gained .4 of a pound, I was not happy. Translation...I was furious.

So in the interest of full disclosure I have to tell you guys what I did as a result of that anger.

I turned into the Incredible Hulk.

Let me walk you through it.

After I got out of the shower, and was putting my make up on, I worked myself into a furor over the whole "2.2 lbs in 4 weeks" thing. I swear I was looking in the bathroom mirror and seeing Medusa.

Then I started talking to myself. And it wasn't pretty, flowery, supportive words either.

Mostly stuff like cow, heifer, disgusting pig, peppered with the F bomb every other word.

At that point, I made the mistake of getting dressed for work.

So here I am, standing in front of my closet, saying out loud "So, heifer, what feedbag/tent are you gonna wear today? Doesn't matter if it shows off your 20 lbs loss, because nobody can tell you've lost weight anyway. Fat f*cking cow. Yeah here, put THIS on. It's loose, and it makes you look like you're in your second trimester. Go ahead...wear it. Moooooooooooooo."

(I'm not proud of my actions, and yes it was a bit childish and nonproductive, but I'm a 48 year old menopausal woman. My hormones are not rational.)

Then I pull this black shirt out of my closet. It's a nice black shirt.

Or was.

I put it on, and look in the mirror, and successfully look pregnant. Which is such a great look for a woman my age....

Then I notice that the tie in the back of the shirt is really loose.

Now, you would think that would make me happy, right? Clearly I've lost weight since I wore this last, because the tie needs pulled tighter.

So I try to untie it.

And it gets knotted.

And I pull on it.

And it stays knotted.

And I pull some more.

And the damn thing won't budge.

The next sound you hear is the sound of fabric tearing. No wait, that's not the right sound.

RIPPING.

That's right, I pulled so hard I ripped the shirt.

Which sent me into a pulling and tearing frenzy.

I turned into the Incredible Hulk. You know how he grows bigger and his shirt starts ripping and he tears at it and rips it off his body?

Yep, that was me.

Here's the proof:



Now, because it's black, it doesn't photograph well, but believe me when I tell you, there is no repairing this one.

Go ahead. Laugh. I'll wait.

So after I rip the shirt from my body, I threw it on the ground with all the force I can muster, I guess in an effort to break the carpet.

And then I began to laugh. Maniacally.

I realized I had gone batshit crazy.

And I said out loud "Well, *that* certainly helped the situation, didn't it?"

Lesson learned...if you are going to inflict harm on innocent clothing, don't pick the black stuff. It's what makes a girl look thin. Go for color. Tear up pink or something.

I've fantasized a lot recently about someone ripping my clothes off in the heat of passion Somehow that fantasy never quite included me ripping my own stuff off in anger.

Sigh.

You'll be pleased to know I'm much better today. I ate really good yesterday, including fresh vegetables, and tomatoes and basil from my own garden. I went out and took a very long, fast, sweaty walk last night, and got to bed early.

My clothing is safe today.

I no longer feel the need to damage casual wear.

Let's hope my jean shorts survive the weekend.

26 comments:

chocdrop said...

Wow, I have done the same thing. Except I was not on a diet.... You have to have that moment to recognize a growth within yourself. Keep going lady, you will do it. (Hell you have done it, just keep going)

Hit 40 said...

Oh we can be so hard on ourselves. I was cussing at myself in the shower yesterday. I can't rememeber why? Dig in. I know you can lose the weight. Women have funky lows sometimes in weight lose.

The Peach Tart said...

Well even though you did tear up a perfectly good piece of clothing, and
a black one no less, didn't you feel better when you finished?

Kind of like getting in your car so nobody can hear you and screaming at the top of your lungs or beating a pillow on the bed into submission.

I understand your frustration. I struggle with weight too at this age.

Hang in there. It's a slow process but you are still heading in the right direction even if slower than you would like.

Unknown said...

LOL about the shirt!

Liz said...

I'm glad things are going a wee bit better today :) We all have those moments. But just remember, you've already lost 20 pounds! That's amazing right there!! I'm glad you didn't give up yesterday....Keep up the good work!

Dr. Penny said...

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL -- you very funny woman so we let you live! Listen, whatever it takes to move you forward -- just remember you are not rich YET, so buying a whole bunch of new clothes because you go batshit is not the plan. Or maybe it is -- maybe it will motivate you to get rich AND skinny! For now, keep eating the fresh food and sweating EVERY DAY. Results are already on the way!

Anonymous said...

It's amazing the strength we muster up when we get angry. Julie you have done a fantastic job of losing weight. 20lbs is something to be proud of. You are so beautiful inside and out. I know you have no idea, but I think you are. I'm just sayin....if I were into girls, I'd be all ova you!

Anonymous said...

Julie ... I've been a silent stalker for a while now ... and I have to say - I bust a gut reading your entries all the time but this one ... honestly, I nearly wet myself reading it!!! You are H.I.L.A.R.I.O.U.S.

I LOVE your humour and your honest!

I'll keep stalking for sure!

Lisa in Toronto

Stephanie said...

RIP black shirt...:)
Glad you are doing better today!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the good laugh to start my day. I to am on a weight loss journey and can sympalize with your weigh in this week. That was me last week. Today was my weigh in day & I lost 1.1 lbs

Kim said...

You mean you didn't stomp up and down on the shirt once you threw it on the floor? :)

Good to get your frustrations out, eh? Perfect!

Mike Golch said...

sometimes my weight loss yo-yos up and down,it just one of "those things" One just has to keep putting one foot forward at a time.

Tiffany said...

"You won't like me when I'm angry!!"

Jennifer Suarez said...

Aw sweetie... I friggen love you!

chocolatecovereddaydreams.blogspot.com said...

Next time get that agression out on your Wii boxing. You will surely work up a sweat and feel good watching them hit the mat!

Anonymous said...

Talking to ones self in the mirror...check...yelling at ones self in the mirror...check...ripping clothes from ones body...check...all the things needed to warrant a good dose of R&R. Time for a vacation girl. Or the happy pills...what eves.

Unknown said...

Shouldn't be chuckling...but I am. What fun is it to be a girl, if there is no drama????
Glad you are feeling better today!
~AM

travel girl said...

Sounds like something I would do.

I love you!

Stephanie Clark said...

Julie, you amaze me. I'm glad you survived yesterday and your clothes lived to be worn another day. Lol. You are so beautiful inside and out. Thinking of you.

Fragrant Liar said...

Baaa, baaa, black shirt, have you any thread?

Shit woman! You were waaaaaaay to hard on yourself. Get that Barbie Doll image outta your head. That standard is for Barbie dolls only.

I know, I know, you just want to lose the poundage and you're doing everything right and STILL it's clinging to you like pantyhose. My personal issue is cellulite, and I'm a naturally petite bitch, but we have more than our fair share of issues. Trust me, if you saw the close-ups, you'd gag.

Have you had all your hormones checked? You sound like a possible candidate for bio-identicals, being perimenopausal and all. If you haven't already, check them out. Also, change up everything you're doing. The body responds in different ways to change, especially exercise. Switch it out weekly. Fool your fat!

And quit being so hard on your clothes! I mean, your SELF, of course.

Hugs.

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Oh, when are we going to stop defining ourselves by how much we weigh? I'm just as f-ed up in this departmentas you are. But it's a complete waste of time, time we should be spending enjoying life. The people who love you are not secretly thinking, "Man, I'd love Julie so much more if she were only 10 pounds lighter." We're nutcases, dear twin.

Bobby Allan said...

There's nothing I hate more than strategically getting dressed in the morning. I've been on a diet to lose 20 pounds for about 15 years now.

My Moon said...

Oh Julie, I so know exactly how you feel! I'm on the weight loss journey too. I've been on WW since January and have lost 31 lbs! Which is great BUT if you look at it, it's only 5 lbs a MONTH!!! I still have 30 lbs to go and it is so hard to keep going! Especially when you are working so hard and don't lose, gain or even just loose .something. Hang in there! You are doing so good!

That Janie Girl said...

Oh, Lord, girl, you are too funny!

I needed to read this today!

Caz Wilson said...

Thanks for sharing that with us, well done on your weight loss so far. You seem determined and motivated so kudos to ya!

jaded said...

omg! you made my laugh hysterically. i can completely picture you going nuts. ahhh that poor shirt - and a black one at that!