
You are witnesses to history.
For the first time in at least 20 years, probably closer to 25...I have no fake nails.
OK technically this might be the 2nd time, I seem to recall a year ago taking them all off one night but I was back at the nail salon the next day.
This time, I'm going to try and keep them off for awhile. I cut them all down last night, and then went and had the rest of the nails
Do you realize that I have spent about at least $9,500 in twenty years on nails??? And that's probably a conservative cost estimate, based on one balance a month for 240 months. That's insane!
The biggest problem I have is that I can't type worth shit now. I am so used to long nails, that my keystroke reach is shorter than normal. Now, with no nails...I have no speed or accuracy!
I probably should have thought of this before now.
Head in the game, Julie!
And yes, I corrected all the spelling errors in this post...and it took me twice as long to type it!
This is going to take a lot of getting used to.
My nails are paper thin. Any ideas how long it takes them to grow out and become strong again?
Note to self: Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails...isn't.
I guess it's a good thing nobody is holding my hand these days.
It's just not pretty.
.jpg)
34 comments:
You have very nice hands.
Save that money from those damn nails and buy yourself an adventure - whether that be a vacation somewhere or a bottle of tequilia.
I don't judge....
= )
Julie...I think your hands look pretty. Gelatin is supposed to make your nails stronger, I don't know for sure...I've always had flimsy nails.
Make it a good day!
~AM
Wow that's a lot of money. I think your hands and nails look nice. You will get used to the typing thing. I keep mine really short but do wear polish. I like that look.
I get them done about once or twice a year so I'm familiar with the care after removing them. Keep them very, very short. (that's a must) and it will take anywhere from 3-6 months before you notice they're not so flimsy. I don't bother with polish or those nail hardeners. I've found the key is just keeping them very short because they tend to split very low, ouch! It is crazy what we spend to be "beautiful" isn't it? But hey if we can afford it and it makes us smile, why not? But yes, it's always painful to look back and see the reality of the money spent!!
Oh I hate that feeling after having nails on for a long time and trying to type!
Good luck with that.
And your hands don't look bad at all..that look really nice. I tend to chew on my fingers if I don't have my nails done.
It took mine forever the couple times I took them off. But, depending on how quick your nails grow, is how long it'll take. Once they fully grow out, they'll pretty much be good. Take some prenatals...it'll help with the growing.
OMG I think I would die. In the last ten years I had them off once and that's because I was saving money after buying the house and trying for a baby. Once his ass moved out, those suckers came back on!!!
My fingers are NOT pretty. HA HA HA however in the last two months I have considered taking them off. Hum, we'll see.
Good luck! I hope they grow back fast.
Hello Julie, enjoying your blog, may I join the camaraderie?
Can you feel that your nails now are able to breath :)
Good for you!!! This will save you some serious $$$. I do the pedicure thing about once or twice a year. The pedicure really lasts. My friends with fake nails are always fessing and paying $$ to keep them perfect.
Ocean girl is cute!! Lets spam her!!!!!
Work on it from the inside out - get you some good vitamins with plenty of folic acid.
I'm the opposite. I can't type for shit when my nails get long. And my nails grow super fast, so I'm always filing them down.
I've never in my life had fake nails. Does that surprise you? Yea didn't think so.
If it makes you feel any better, I gave them up a long time ago too. I couldn't type, I couldn't fasten a necklace or do any gardening.
Besides, when I was first a nursing student, they had someone wearing them wash their hands for 5 minutes straight, including under their nails. They then took a swab under their nails and swiped it over a petri dish. After 3 days we looked at it and you should see the bacteria it grew. GROSS! Now if someone brings something to a potluck that they made, I see if they wear fake nails and kind of pass up that dish. ha
There is also suspicion that the glue they use gets absorbed into your system and can exacerbate inflammation in those with arthritis, fibromyalagia, etc. That was enough for me! ha
I too, had fake nails for years. The sad thing was, my own were sturdy, healthy and beautiful. I got caught in the trap of breaking a real nail and getting it replaed so that in time, they were all fake. Taking them off leaves your own in such a weakened state. It takes a certain amount of time to grow them out from the nail bed. Be patient, don't go back to the dark side, even though, I still love those nails too. Mine were never the same. They split and crack easily. I wish you much more success with our yours.
You will be so glad you've gone au natural! Now start eating yogurt daily, STAT! and they will be stronger in no time. Next, square the nails off and use Chanel's 'Vamp' nail polish (or any brand that is dark-purple-almost-black), then take 2 Pomegranate Martinis and call me in the morning...
Jules i actually think your nails look very pretty!
as for making them hard and strong again...
IF you can walk into the nail salon without getting fake nails...then get a manicure that will help your nails and i am sure there is some vitamin you can take and vaseline makes this hand and nail lotion that i love it comes in a pink bottle and...there is another product but the name escapes me it has a green lid delore or something there is a set and it comes with oil and hardner-it is great stuffs!
Julie, You have such pretty hands. I used to have fake nails...and then realized that getting them done was ruining my nails so I quit. I have short choppy hands and they look like a farmer's wife's hands, calloused and not pretty. That money will give you a nice vacay somewhere...enjoy it! :-)
I've never seen your fake nails so have nothing to compare...but I like your hands just as they are. But I tend to like everybody just as they are.
I guess it's a good thing I do my own!!! keep them short for a bit...and gelatin is a good idea!
I take it they were acrylic? I do the gels...no smell lol
I hope you have fun with your new look! It will take a while to get used to it!- oh and they look way better than some that I have seen!!!
JELLO! GELATIN! You can get them in a capsule.
Yes it works! Makes my nails stronger. My hair longer!
Good Luck. You hands are very nice by the way! You do NOT need fake nails!
I had acrylic nails on for years, but I couldn't see spending the money on them anymore.
Yes, it will take a few months for them to grow out and make sure you keep them short. I did use some kind of Sally Hansen top coat with an acrylic in it, and I thought it helped out a lot.
Just think....if you would of saved all that money, you could of come seen me!! lol
It will take a few months for the nails to grow back to their pre nail state. The will eventually come back strong, just keep them trimmed and give it time....
You have pretty hands my dear, so jealous
I DO have some advice! I too stopped with the fake nails, although I still love going to the salon. It's my ME time. Gotta have it...
Check out any store that carries items for horses. Even some Walmarts have them. Buy the cream that they put on the horses hooves to keep them from cracking. It'll make your nails long and hard. Trust me. It works. I learned it from a college roommate. Her nails were always fabulous, she was in equine science.
Best yet? The big jar only costs like $20 and will last you for years.
:-)
I used to have gel nails. By now my I prefer my own nails. They grow nicely and I gave them a daily eve treatment with silicium gel. Wouldnt like arteficial nails anymore. They are nice, hard, middle long and burgundy red. Love it.
Get higher keyboard buttons. Real hands are the best kind.
You and I are opposites in this regard. I've only had fake nails twice in my life.
I don't know how people do it. The 2 times I had them done I SWEAR was agony! They ached for DAYS!
They look VERY nice though. Perhaps its the lighting or the low res photo, but I like em.
O, I'm with you on this...forget those nails ...save that money and take a fabulous cruise!!
Personally, I have always liked the shorter, natural nails much better anyway!!
I have never done the fake nail route. They make your nails worse!!
Just by keeping them off your natural nails will grow stronger over time.
OH I miss my fake nails!
Took me about 3 months to get any kind of strength back!
I've never had fake nails before but it's only because my own nails grow very quickly.
Your hands are beautiful. There is something that you can take called hair and nails and it works wonders. It's a vitamin.
Hi there, I think your hands are beautiful. You have more real nails on your hands than I do. My problem is I can't keep em out of my mouth :)
Hang in there,
Cheers,
Heidi
You know I have a fake nail phobia, so I'm psyched about this post!
Just put on a coat of Hard as Nails "Ice" colored polish and your hands will look great.
It's going to take a couple of months before your nails grow to their natural thickness.
Bare is a all the rage these days, you'll get used to it and wonder how you ever had fake ones.
I get a twinge every once in a while to go back to my beloved french tips but like you I think of the thousands I spent on them and would really just rather have new shoes. :)
Frannie
Post a Comment