Thursday, July 23, 2009

I suck.

It's weigh in day.

And I've GAINED .4 lbs since last week.

And I've lost a total of 2.2 lbs IN THE LAST MONTH.

I've done nothing but yo yo up and down the scale for four weeks now.

And I'm really fucking tired of it.

I understand plateaus. I understand that I could weigh myself tomorrow and be down a pound or two due to water fluctuation. I understand, as Penny would tell me, that I shouldn't weigh myself at all, just judge how my clothes fit because the numbers on the scale don't matter.

Well, they matter to me.

Because it's a big goddamn number on my scale and I want it to be a whole lot smaller.

It's just frustrating to work hard at this, stay on plan 99% of the time (with the occasional margarita night with the girls being an exception) and get nowhere.

My son has lost 45 lbs in the same time frame that I have been dieting. Actually, he's been doing it about 2 weeks less than I have. And I've lost 20. I suck.

Don't get me wrong, I am so freaking proud of him for his success, that I can hardly contain myself. He looks amazing, and I know he's worked hard to get where he is.

But dammit, so have I.

Yes, I know I'm 30 years older than he is. Yes I know men lose weight faster. Yes I know he's far more active and gets a lot more exercise.

Ugh. I'm just very, VERY disheartened today. I feel like I'm never going to lose this weight, and I am destined to be fat and old and alone.

FML.


25 comments:

FRANNIE said...

I feel your pain.

I've come to the conclusion that if I want to lose those dreaded last 10 lbs I'm going to have to excercise.

Ugh, that's the last thing I want to do!!

The Retired One said...

I have felt and been where you are almost all my life.
It seems the more I tried to diet, the more I stayed the same, or even gained.
I have tried walking more, that helps some...but it is a constant struggle. I know it involves a terribly slow metabolism from all my yo yo dieting all my life.
It is sooooooo frustrating.
I have now resolved to trying smaller portions and less sweets and walking everyday.
I truly don't know what else to do....

Anonymous said...

Hugs. I wish I had the answers. But you do look great. :) And so does Jordan. I'm so proud of you both.

Just don't give up. It will happen for you. It's the most frustrating thing ever.

My problem now is salty prepackaged food that is getting to me(WW frozen meals, anything frozen, tortilla chips, granola bars). Try to eat more fresh, homemade foods without the salt. Veggies and fruit. You'll poop alot too. :)

Gertrude Groggins - said...

I have no answers, so I'm just going to jump in and yell with you...SON OF A BITCH FAT! GET AWAY FROM JULIE!
There...that should do it.

Mommy Peachee said...

It will get better. I promise. And you know how to spell lose correctly which is a lot more than I can say for most of our fellow bloggers. At least you have that going for you. ;)

Debz said...

Julie I feel your pain. I know how hard it is first hand. And when the scale doesn't move I contemplate just saying EF it! Why bother keeping it up if it's not working, right?
Wrong... I know I need to keep at it. Just like you do. But some days its just hard to give a rats ass. I'd rather crawl back in bed with a bowl of ice cream or a large alcoholic beverage. Whichever is closer.

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

I feel your pain...and have most of my adult life. I have yo-yo'd for years and because of you...decided to lose weight beginning June 1. I have lost 29.9 pounds to date....but personally don't see the change. When I look at that blasted Marie Osmond and her 40 pounds...and I see a marked difference...I felt like I should see a marked one for me. It makes me want to eat everything in sight....but I haven't. I am serious about this. I don't want to take diabetes medicine or bp medicine anymore....so I trod on. I can tell a difference in my clothes....they are hanging on me....but I would like to see a bigger difference....soooo...since you were the encouragement I needed to get started I know you can do it....and yes with women over 40 it is harder....but girlfriend....you are amazing...and you CAN do this!

Paula said...

Julie, really really feel with you. I felt so damn proud when I stopped smoking a few weeks ago and didnt put one weight at all. Could kill myself laughing. I have NO idea how it sneaked in these lbs. Really no idea, but they have settled comfortable on my hips. MY HIPS!! and my belly. MY BELLY! Feels like I cant do sun bathing nude anymore. Not with such hips. I have no scale, BUT the button oy my trousers is just aboput not closing anymore. Julie, shall we meet for some exercises? Venting? Plenty of hugs

Unknown said...

(((Julie)))
I really need to be getting healthy!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I am a new reader to not just your blog but any and all blogs. I found yours interesting because I am in the fitness field. "Not so much the dieting field." Do you have a fitness center that teaches Zumba? If you do, and you love to dance, this may be the thing to help you not only shed the pounds but feel even MORE absolutely awesome. If you have a great instructor, it can be like dancing with the stars without a partner, which makes you the star!!!! Check out the Zumba website or even on YouTube. This may or may not be your thing, but just wanted to throw it out there! Good luck!

Sue said...

I wish I had something supportive or inspiring to say but I've been there so many times myself and subsequently failed that I've got nothing. I hope you can appreciate what you've lost so far and just be glad you've done that. It's 20lbs less you have to lose. Sorry. It sucks, I know. Congrats to Jordan though. He's not helping my crush!!

Allison said...

I have been there! ((HUGS)) I went through that so freaking much during my weight loss--and ended up losing NINETY pounds. You can do it--just remember that weight loss is a journey, not a trip with a destination. ((HUGS))

Abatevintage said...

Hello I have been over weight most of my life now, I have been on and off diets forever. There is no set way to really loose weight, you have to find the diet that works best for you. I am on a carb free diet, and this seems to be the only diet that helps me loose the weight. I have lost 65 pounds in 6 months. It is very hard though to have no carbs or very little carbs in anyones diet. I myself am 31 years old, a mother of 2 girls and I know how hard loosing weight can be.

Just hang on and don't get discrouraged. Your time to shine will come.

Cheers,
Heidi

Jennifer Suarez said...

I totally understand. Every week I get down to a weight I'm happy with, and every weekend? I somehow put FIVE lbs on. It takes me all week to take it off, just to put it right back on.

It's REALLY frustrating to work out, to eat right, pass up the things you love in an attempt to make those #s on the scale drop just to have everything stay the same. You feel like shouting FUCK IT! GIMME THE PIZZA AND ICE CREAM.

But we all must have the strength to keep going. Mix it up a little. Sometimes our bodies get used to the foods we eat and the exercise routine we fall into. Changing those things around can shock your system back into losing again.

Best of luck and HANG IN THERE! I believe in you!

Kim said...

You're not yo-yoing - YOU LOST 2+ lbs in one month. To me, that sounds like losing weight. Yo-yoing would be one month your up a few pounds the next you're down a few - get it - up and down like a yo yo, BUT I think your time frame is too close. Look at the big picture and hang in there!

won said...

Keep on keeping on Julie. I am amazed at your success, and a bit jealous too.

I think those pounds crept north...

Kimberly said...

Maybe it is just water weight....

Nicole said...

I just came across a website
www.hungry-girl.com
and it is awesome! Actually I got a HG cook book from the library and there are some FANTASTIC recipes....Magaritas for about 100 calories! What's not too love! They even list WW points.

Anonymous said...

ughs.. probably just water weight... deep breath

gp

Dr. Penny said...

1.Throw away the frozen dinners in the freezer and buy produce, beans, rice, and potatoes. FRESH.
2.Whatever you are doing for exercising (you ARE exercising at least 30 minutes a day, right??), you need to pump it up, extend the time, and/or change what you are doing cause your body has adapted to it and is not expending as many calories to accomplish it.
3.Stop whining. It took awhile to put it on, it's going to take awhile to get it off. You didn't gain it at a rate of 3 pounds a week, you aren't going to lose it that way either.
4.Don't you dare give up. Whatever you decide is what will happen, so start creating the end result and concentrate on THAT, not the how. Stop wanting and start believing it is possible.
5.You could never be fat, ugly or alone. Love, Mep

Anonymous said...

ANONYMOUS has all the answers, and Dr. Penny gave you what for.

If you feel good, and your old clothes are still loose, you've accomplished something.

The plateaus in life are what defeat us. It's horrible to realize you have to UP the anti or backslide. It seems my body gets used to the less food very quickly, then what....

Personally, I HATE your damn scales.

crrv said...

Are you kidding me!? Just today I noticed a new picture of you (was it facebook? hmm, can't rememebr) anyway I was thinking "man she is SKINNY now!"

Anonymous said...

Alright I'm sharing my "secret" to my weight loss. You got health insurance???? Go to your doctor and ask for a perscription for Topamax. It's perscribed for people that have seizers, or have really bad migrains, (I suffer from the really bad migrains) So I have to take this pill once a day. The beautiful side effect to this pill is weight loss. And you don't get migrains anymore either! Kill two birds with one stone! I've gone from a size 12 to a size 6 in a year! :) (Cutting out fast food and soda helps too!!)

chocolatecovereddaydreams.blogspot.com said...

Listen to Dr. Penny! She knows you, Girl! You already have the answers...guys do lose more rapidly...it could very well be water weight...just like the good doctor said, "It took awhile for it to creep up on you and it won't go away overnight." Be patient. You are so very beautiful in the skin that you are in.

Unknown said...

Whoa! I've been gone for a couple days and am now reading your post. Please don't compare your weight loss, with that of a teenage guy! I'm about to tell you everything you already know.. the metabolism of 'women our age' is far different than that of a teenage guy... secondly, your weight loss challenge is just that...so take it on and conquer. Thirdly, slower weight loss, has better odds of staying off, so take you time.
You have lots of people in your corner! Stay Strong! We believe in you!
~AM