Friday, February 12, 2010

Comfort Zones and A Love Story


OK so you guys know I am always offering up my blog to guest bloggers. I figure you guys would love a break from my mundane posting so today I am thrilled to introduce my long time, dear friend Lee Ann as my guest blogger!!!!

Lee Ann and I have known each other for most of our lives. We met when I was about nine and moved to Logan, Ohio. She was one of my first friends, and we were inseparable. After graduation we lost touch with each other and last summer we were lucky enough to find each other again. You might remember this post describing our reunion.

Anyway, I twisted her arm and convinced her to write a blog post for me, so here it is. And when you get done reading, go to her blog and become a follower. She's someone you need to get to know.

Without further ado, please welcome Lee Ann to the 47 Stage!!!!

Comfort Zones and a Love Story

Julie has asked me to guest blog quite a few times. I have never been able to find the right topic. I have trouble coming up with topics for my own blog and I really didn't want to come over here and bore y'all to death! But, Julie's CZ challenge is intriguing to me. The goal is for her to be comfortable and happy being single and doing things by herself. While she is out there enjoying herself, she could very well run across Mr. Right. We know he sometimes (usually) comes along when we're not looking.

I have been married and divorced twice. Not really something I am proud of, but it is what it is. I can assure you that the fault of the failed marriages is not mine! Ok maybe some, in that I made really bad choices. After that last adventure, I thought if that was the kind of men that were out there in the dating pool perhaps I should just sit it out or go play elsewhere. Inspite of the 20 years married (in total), I have had lots of experience being single too. I have always been attracted to a guy who was taller than me (I'm 5'10") and older than me (I'm 50). There was other criteria, but I wouldn't even take a second look if they didn't pass those first two items.

I've always been big into AOL (a charter member for 19 years now) I had chatted online, for a few years, with a really nice guy. My 2nd marriage finally got put out of its misery in '06. A few months later my friend mentioned that we should meet for real sometime - how fun would that be!? I agreed. We made arrangements to meet for dinner. So we set up the time and place. When the agreed time came he called me (I'd never heard his voice until that moment) and we chatted all the way to the restaurant. He had a nice voice. I got there first and I parked with my car aimed out. I think that was so I could see him coming and make a fast get away if I needed to. (We had chatted for a few years, but it had been so long since we had done the what's your name/what do you look like thing I had forgotten all of that about him. After all this time I was too embarrassed to ask him again. So yup - I was meeting someone whose first name I didn't even know). He pulled up beside me in the parking lot. He got out of his truck. Holy shit! He didn’t have any gray hair and he must be all of 5'3"!!! I thought - this isn't good – too young & too short - I gotta find a way to get out of here!!! But something else was nagging at me - he had always been SO nice online. I really didn't want to hurt his feelings and just run off. Besides it was just dinner as friends. So I stayed.

The next day he sent me a really nice email about what a good time he had a dinner - he signed his name to it, so that mystery was cleared up (whew!). He wound up being 5 years younger than me. And though he is shorter than me he is actually 5'7". AND I found out that he was lived 3 (THREE) blocks from me (Fate stopped just short {haha} of placing him directly on my doorstep for me). It turns out that staying that night for dinner , learning more and stepping outside of my comfort zone was one of the BEST decisions I had made in a very long time. We have been pretty much inseparable since then. In '08 we bought a house together and are living happily ever after. We treat each other with love and respect (something I almost forgot how to do) and we truly enjoy being together. Who knew?

I write this because I wish the very best for my dear friend, Julie. In previous posts of hers I have read that she isn't much into men shorter than her. The point to all of this is - Jules, while you are wandering outside of your comfort zone anyway, don't disregard those guys who might be a bit outside of that zone either.

C was right there under my nose for a long time and I might have missed him I hadn't stepped outside of my comfort zone just a little. I never really think about our differences anymore because we have so much else in common.

Most men are just gonna stare at your boobs anyway, so why have them get a crick in their neck doing it? Ya never know!

My friends rock, don't they?

And no, you cannot ask her for dirt on me. She's contractually bound to say nothing but nice things, even if she has to lie.

14 comments:

chocolatecovereddaydreams.blogspot.com said...

Leeann, you are living proof that you never know but love could be right around the corner. My love story was somewhat similar. I can say honestly, that I wouldn't change a thing!

I'm looking forward to hearing about Julie's "comfort zone" challenge.

Anonymous said...

That was a happy and inspiring story if I ever heard one!

Secretia

My Aimless Infatuation said...

LeeAnn,everyone knows I love a happy ending and this is one. Julie,Good luck tonight and give me another happy ending.(fingers are crossed)

Anonymous said...

HA! Great post Lee Ann!!!

So true. Once you step outside of those boundaries you set up in your head you just may find the right person..you are living proof.

Anonymous said...

preconceived notions cause people to miss out on opportunities all the time!

great post!

Lorna said...

Okay I so loved that story. Good one to ponder...and this comfort zone challenge is fun!

Dr. Penny said...

Love the story! Just one more piece of proof that every time you concern yourself with the how, you get in the way of the universe delivering what will make you happiest. If you get rid of the list of must haves and just put out there what the end result is that you desire (a loving relationship and all the feelings and results that means), it comes to you much faster and in spades. Concentrate on the emotions you desire to feel, Jules, and the person who can deliver that to you will arrive literally on your doorstep, as Lee Ann found out. And it will happen much faster than you think you can MAKE it happen. Who would have ever thought I would marry Ed Steward??? AND be as happy as I am??

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Leeann, what a fantastic post! You're so right that we must consider possibilities beyond what we've pre-defined for ourselves. Thanks for sharing your story!

Fragrant Liar said...

Dang, I was just about to ask for some dirty laundry too! Julie, go get out of your comfort zone somewhere so your buddy can dish!!

Okay, so last night I took Me, Myself, and I to the movies, and we saw AVATAR! What a great flick! I guess I'm getting used to going alone, cuz the only thing that felt a little uncomfortable was the 3D glasses. I think you're supposed to take them off when you get behind the wheel of your car.

Fragrant Liar said...

P.S.

I don't like dating guys who are too tall. I'm pretty petite, so I feel like anybody over 5'10" is going to give me neck aches.

Plus, I get a visual of sex that would make me feel like a kid, and that's just not appealing.

Stephanie said...

This really is a great story...you never really know who is just about in your own backyard!

gayle said...

Great story!! Aww love!!

Joanna Cake said...

Ruf is nothing like my normal type. He's younger than me, shorter, darker and from a completely different social set to my normal type.

But our bodies recognised each other and when I was kissing a lot of people goodbye after a seminar, he provided a heart-stopping moment just with his pheromones.

That was four years ago and, since my separation from my Husband last year, this is our first proper Valentine's Day as a couple.

At 48,I have never been so happy.

Good Luck to You both!

laura said...

After my traumatic divorce I was single for a lot of Valentine's Days but that was ok with me! I'd rather be single than stuck with an idiot. Anyway, I seriously doubt that my fiance who holds two masters degrees was really looking for an uneducated divorced mother of three (who also had to waitress part time in the evenings because her full time job didn't pay enough!)! And I wasn't really looking for a bald man with a 'waist of time' (our term for his beer belly). But something just zinged for us and I sure as hell am glad it did. C'mon! Think outside the lines and have fun with it.