Monday, September 20, 2010

I'm a UC Mom, the Empty Nest...and other Important Stuff.

So, my baby is officially a University of Cincinnati Bearcat.

And I'm an empty nester.

We moved Jordan to school last Thursday. Honestly, it was a great day.

We got there at 10am, and they gave us free Red Bull.  So far I loved college.  LOL  Then we got his room key....



 I got to put his room together, make his bed, do all the Mom stuff one more time...


He approved of the feather bed I bought him so that he would be comfy at night...


And I made him suffer through yet another "Mom and Me" picture....



We went to the bookstore, and I got coffee mugs for Michael and me to drink out of in the mornings....and a new shirt for me.





You should be proud of me, I didn't cry until it came time to hug him goodbye.  But the minute he said "I love you", I burst into tears and could not even speak.  So much I wanted to say to him, but all I could get out was "Please be safe and take care of yourself, ok.  I love you so much."  I know he knows everything I couldn't say (because I'd have gotten hysterical trying to get the words out, LOL), about how proud I am of him and how thankful and blessed I have been to be his Mom.  I've told him those things hundreds of times, I know he knows.  This time, I just wanted him to know I love him more than life itself, and am so excited and happy for this phase of his life to begin.

And then I cried all the way to Kings Island.  Which is only about 25 miles.  I thought that was pretty good, considering at one point during the drive down, Jordan and my boss exchanged text messages where David said "Is she curled up on the floor in a fetal position, barricading herself in the garage so you can't leave?" to which Jordan replied "No, not yet.  But I have a feeling she'll be on the hunt for an unused room after I get moved in though."

Oh Ye of little faith, I did neither.  I survived The Move of 2010.

My first weekend as an empty nester was great!  I have learned a few things about my son not living at home, such as...I don't have to worry when I walk around naked (TMI maybe, but factual) that he might walk in;  I don't have to panic anymore when I hear sirens (there is a police and fire station a block from my house, and yes I used to find ridiculous excuses to text Jordan when I would hear them to make sure he was alive....yep, I was "that mom"), my leftovers are still left over the next day to take to work for lunch; and the one who used to leave the bathroom a mess isn't me.  And the best part (which I thought would be the worst part) of not knowing what he's doing and where he is at night, is that I just pretend he's in his dorm room, and then I sleep great!

Plus, my nest hasn't been all that empty.  My guy is there a lot, which is great.  This weekend we went down to Hocking Hills and walked through the caves and stuff.  It was a lot of fun.







Later we stopped by a flea market....and I tried to get a picture of this guy with THE WORST MULLET in the history of the world.  He's standing behind Michael in this picture and unfortunately you can't see him, but he had this short hair on the front, and then the mullet part went all the way down his back.  OMG, it was hilarious.  




Oh, and at the flea market I made a purchase of my own....it was a UC Bearcat license plate thing.  I tried to post the picture here but it kept showing up sideways, and I didn't want you guys straining your necks on my behalf.  

We are moving our offices this week, so don't expect a new blog post anytime soon.  I'll be lucky to see daylight between now and next Monday.  

Hope you are all doing well.  I haven't been around to visit your blogs in ages, I've become a very bad bloggy friend.  I will try to get caught up soon, meanwhile tell me what's going on in your world!

12 comments:

Christiejolu said...

OMG I cried...I felt that way when my baby started kindergarten this year...I cried all day...Those pics are beautiful and you and your guy make an amazing looking couple!

B said...

From the picture, that room looks pretty big! Wow, where have I been? I didn't know you had a guy!

LeeAnn said...

I am sooooo happy that things are going well for you.

Allison said...

Congratulations to you and Jordan :) And I'm impressed you made it through most of the day without crying...I can't even think about sending E off to college and I have at least another 16 years until that happens...

Carol said...

yeah, you go through the separation thing but you will be fine and work through it quickly and find that it's really OK to have your life back all to yourself. It's just a shift..and your relationship will change too, but not in a bad way. It will just be different. The hiking pictures are amazing. I love being outdoors, I'm waiting on the cool weather...if it ever comes. It was in the upper 80s here today.

I'm happy for you and your "guy". I've read what you've been through and I see the smile on your face. Cool. Enjoy running around naked ;)

Carol-the gardener

Carol said...

i gave you an award over at my site today because you deserve it. Stop by and pick it up and pay it forward.

Carol-the gardener

Danica said...

You just made me cry!!!!

LW did the whole college thing yesterday with Lauren....except right now she's staying home. I forsee a change with that though. Going away is such an awesome experience for them...but not so much for the parents.

You look happy Julie. Really happy. I'm so glad you have a wonderful man in your life. And I'm so happy that Jordan is making the next leap in his phase of life.

Life is good. For all of you.

Wendy said...

I can SO identify with having to let the bird fly (or rather pushed ;) from the nest. My son goes to a local college, but still he's at the age where he just needs to be separate from mom. I get sad on the holidays even though I spend them with him, remembering when he was so little...but THEN I celebrate like you do and get into some mischief. Really nice post...

Tee aka The Diva's Thoughts said...

I love the hiking pics of you and "Henry". lol

gayle said...

I am so very happy that things are going so well for you!!

ModernMom said...

OMG My girls are only 9 and 11 and I still teared up reading this post. I think you deserve an award for only crying for 25 miles. Hope you enjoy your empty next and extra walking around naked time:)

Pantsy said...

Hey! Just started reading... love your blog so far. It's good to know that the off-to-college process can be largely painless.
Single mother here as well. I have one in her senior year at high school so we'll be looking at doing some of the same things next year.
By the way, I only live about an hour away from Hocking Hills. It's a beautiful place; we've been going there since the kids were little.