Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Letting Go


As some of you know, Mom has been steadily declining the past couple of days. We have been with her and will continue to be until the end, whether that is today, or tomorrow, or whenever God is ready for her. My family hasn't posted anything on FB about her yet, so not everyone was aware of this.

A dear friend sent me a beautiful email earlier today that I wanted to share with you. Please keep my Mom in your thoughts and prayers for a peaceful passing. We love her dearly, but we know Dad and Linda are anxiously waiting for her.

I am standing upon the seashore. A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength. I stand and watch her until at length she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then someone at my side says: “There, she is gone!”

“Gone Where?”

Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my side and she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.

Her diminished size is in me, not in her. And just at the moment when someone at my side says: “There, she is gone!” there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices ready to take up the glad shout: “Here she comes!”

And that is dying.


19 comments:

B said...

Oh, Julie, I know this is SO HARD! I would not want to be in your shoes, torn between keeping her here or letting her go. God bless you and your family.

Danica said...

You know I'm here for you. Lots of love my friend.

Anonymous said...

My best wishes and prayers are with you Julie. God's hands are gentle and his will his forever lasting.



"E"

Mellodee said...

Being with someone you love as they are dying is a wonderful gift to them and a blessing to you. Not everyone has the strength to do that. I hope that your mother's passing is a gentle one with you right there with her.

That photo of the clasped hands is one of the most poignant I have ever seen. It is a perfect example of a photo conveying so much without words.

NV said...

You and your mom continue to be in my prayers. I was wondering how things were going and figured no news was status quo.
So very sorry for you yet, at the same time, very happy for your mom as I know you’ve said many times she is ready … and has loving arms waiting.

Rita said...

I'm know it's a very hard time, but that email was beautiful.

Michael Creations said...

I'm sending love and thoughts your way during this difficult time. If there's anything you need, don't hesitate to ask.

Julie said...

@E....good to know you are still out there. Hope all is well. Call or email me sometime if you can and let's catch up on each others lives. I have news about someone that you would love. LOL

Beau's Mom said...

Here is one way to look at it: The last time, she hung around. Being a mom, she didn't want to leave you, especially ALONE. Now that there is someone by your side (and mom knows she can trust him) she can relax and let go.

We gathered around my mom in 1988, held hands and said "It's okay mom. You can go. We'll be fine."

And she left.

It wasn't easy to do. In fact, I felt like I was throwing rocks at her, but she needed to hear us in the room together saying the same thing.

Coffeypot said...

Wonderful story of the ship. Praying that mom is at peace. And that you are at peace, too.

Lorraine said...

Letting them go from our sight locks them up tighter in our hearts. I imagine we all become beautiful human lockets holding lots of love and memories.

Fragrant Liar said...

Julie, I am there with you in spirit. That poem was so touching. I send you and your mom big hugs, and my fervent hope is that letting go will be perfect when the moment arrives.

xoxoxo
Kimber

That Janie Girl said...

Wow, Julie, what a wonderful story.

Praying for your mom and you and yours.

This is hard, I've been there. There is peace in knowing that yes, someone is saying "Here she comes!"

Praying for peace and comfort for you during this time.

elsiee said...

that is one of the most beautiful things that I have ever read... thank you for sharing the amazing gift of your love for your mom with all of us- you are all in my thoughts

Sue said...

Aw,I didn't realize things had deteriorated. I'm sorry Julie. Mellodee pretty much summed it up for me, so I will just let her say it better than I could. Thoughts with you all...

Kym said...

I realize no words written or spoke can ease your pain - just know many, many people are keeping you and your family close in thought and prayer.

LV said...

Julie, regret hearing this about your Mom. I know she has not been well for a long time, but it has not been her time. She has been left here for a reason, which we do not know. May when her name is called, she go very peaceful. Blessings to you and family.

Velveteen Rabbit said...

Julie I haven't visited here for so long..... and I just wanted to say my thoughts are with you. It is 9 months almost to the day that I sat beside my own darling Mum and held her as she slipped away. It is simply the most surreal experience of my life. Longing for them to hang on, fervently wishing for them to experience peace.
I have no other words except to say that she will always be your Mum, your relationship doesn't end, its is simply redefined by their loss
Much love x

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Beautiful picture. That passage is very powerful. Love you. XOXO