Thursday, June 30, 2011

Way to damn near scare me to death, kid.


So, I had one of the worst times of my life yesterday.

Jordan and I were outside our house, and he was leaving to go run some errands, and I was picking up the trash cans from the end of the driveway to bring back to the house (yesterday was trash day, obviously). Literally, it was like 30 seconds after he pulled out of the driveway, and I had just walked up to my house when I heard the loudest, most horrific crash sound that I have ever heard in my life. I swear it almost shook the ground, the impact was so loud.

I knew immediately it was him. Just a mother's instinct I guess. I remember saying out loud "Oh God, no."

I turned and started running and thinking "OK has he had time to get through the light?" and then "OMG, what if someone broadsided him?. It was like slow motion, as I ran the block to the end of my street.

Then suddenly the neighbor boy is in front of me yelling "Miss Julie! Your son is in a wreck!" and pointing, and I starting panicking, because I had no idea how bad it was or if he was hurt. My 50 year old body has never ran so fast, and I have never prayed so hard, because I *heard* that crash, and I knew it wasn't a fender bender.

I turned the corner and all I saw was the back end of Jordan's car, and a car in front of him turned over and totaled. As I ran that block praying, all I could think was "Just let him be okay, God. Please just let him be okay". I swear it was the oddest sense of slow motion, I felt like I was running in place, like in a dream or something, and I couldn't seem to get to him fast enough.

Finally I saw my son standing off to the side and he was clearly okay. He had been at the red light, and some idiot across from him ran the light, and T-boned some poor 16 year old kid. That boy's car flipped over and hit Jordan's car, but by the grace of God it didn't roll again, or my son would be dead right now. Or gravely injured at the least.

I stopped running before I had a heart attack (LOL), and right then the cops and the paramedics showed up (we literally are two blocks from the police and fire stations in Gahanna), and thankfully everyone involved was okay. I am not sure how that young man crawled out of that overturned car with no injuries other than two scratches on his leg but he did.

Jordan was very upset, of course, that his car had been damaged, but as I tried to make him understand, it could have been SO much worse, and the car damage can be fixed. It's just a car, for heaven's sake. He could have lost his life or been permanently injured had he pulled 2' closer to the light or had been 2' further back because the rolling car would have crushed him either during the first roll, or would have rolled a second time, but thankfully his car was in the exact right spot to stop it from rolling again.

Here's a picture from the scene, Jordan's car is the red Mustang. You can't see the damage to the front end from this picture, but compared to the other two vehicles, it's not that bad.


I had a tough time last night, I just kept hearing the sound of that crash, and that boy saying "Your son's in a wreck". It was every parents worse nightmare and I keep reliving it over and over in my head. I am so thankful that he is okay, and that nobody was injured.

But I can tell you, that 60 seconds it took me to run two blocks was the worst minute of my life. I had no idea what I was going to see when I turned the corner and I have never prayed like I did in that moment.

Then, later I had half a bottle of wine and a Xanax. LOL Sometimes Mama's gotta do what she's gotta do to cope.

12 comments:

FRANNIE said...

So glad he's alright...it's good to know you can still 1/4 mile sprint if you have to. :)

King of New York Hacks said...

Glad all are ok...that is all that matters.

Joanie said...

Glad to hear your son is OK. whew!!

Jeanne said...

Visiting by way of Janie's....

Sounds like he not only didn't get hurt, thank goodness, he also kept that other boy from being seriously hurt.

AirmanMom said...

Oh Julie...my heart was racing reading your words. Life is amazing...so normal one moment, and then.... Hugs to you, and Jordan. Actually, BIG hugs to you!
~AM

That Janie Girl said...

Glad Jordan is okay. That had to be absolutely heart-wrenching!

Stephanie Waldenmyer said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad he's okay!!!!

LV said...

That is truly a very frightening experience. I understand what you are saying. It is a blessing everyone was able to walk away. Cars are replaceable, but humans are not. Trust Danica is still kicking.

gayle said...

I know you had to be scared to death! That is a very scary sound!! Glad Jordan's ok.

Vegas Linda Lou said...

It's amazing that the other driver wasn't hurt. Thank God.

NV said...

OH WOW. SO glad he is OK. I know that feeling -- but from the opposite end of the spectrum. I got a call at work one day from one of my mother's coworkers saying, "Now don't get upset ... but your mom just got hit by a car. She was conscious though." That scared me but I was OK until I asked how her car was (because I knew she'd be freaked out about her car.) And the answer was: "She wasn't in her car." My heart fell and the 45-minute drive to the hospital (in mid-day traffic) was one of the longest of my life!!! I was in my late 20s at the time but I thought I was gonna have a heart attack!

She was pretty banged up and it took a surgery and months of rehab, but she was ultimately OK.

The Blog Fodder said...

Glad everyone is OK. The "+/- 2 feet" always astounds me. How much a split second in time or a small distance makes a life or death difference.