Monday, August 2, 2010

You're never too old to hold Mommy's hand....


Mom and I sat and talked yesterday during our visit, and she had reached out and grabbed my hand like this. We sat for the longest time, holding hands and I just listened while she talked about my Dad, and my sister Linda, and her sister....all those who are in heaven waiting on her.

I kept looking down at our hands, and thought about being a little girl and holding Mommy's hand.

I remembered being in the hospital when I was really young, maybe 5 or 6, and my mom sitting beside me on the hospital bed, my little hand in hers, and assuring me I would be fine, and she and Daddy weren't going anywhere.

I remembered being 13 years old and trying out for cheerleader and not making the team, and crying my eyes out, and Mom holding both my hands in hers and telling me that it was okay, I could try again next year.

I remembered her standing by my hospital bed the day I had Jordan, and as I held my son, my mom held his little hand and mine, and said how proud of me she was, and that she knew I would be a wonderful mother.

I remembered the day I woke my Mom up eight years ago to show her my engagement ring, and she held my hand tightly and said "I'm so happy for you. My prayers have been answered."

Holding her hand yesterday reminded me of so many wonderful things about my Mom. Things I will cherish for the rest of my life.

And this picture will always remind me how much love I've felt my entire life...holding Mommy's hand.

19 comments:

jaded said...

As soon as a I saw the photo, I knew this would be a touching post. How blessed are we that can say and know with certainty that we have mothers that love us so and have always been there for us - in the good and the bad. In turn, we have shining examples of how to mother our own. I am trying to hold back the tears just thinking of my baby girl and hoping and trusting that I will be that kind of mother to her. From what I have read in your blog and from the motherly comments you leave on mine I know your mom has been nothing short of a spectacular influence on you and your Linda.

My Aimless Infatuation said...

So so true Julie. My Mama has passed but I like to think she holds my hand still, because she guides me everyday.

Fragrant Liar said...

Most of us have moms like this. Most of us are so lucky to have such memories at all. I'm glad you do, and I can tell you have given your mom much joy. That's what it's all about anyway, isn't it?

Hugs,
Kimber

Vegas Linda Lou said...

This is beautiful, Julie. And damn you for making me tear up as I read this in Panera Bread!

So touching.

Janie at Sounding Forth said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. i so miss my mom - and holding hands with her. Thanks, Julie - this was awesome.

Sue said...

Beautiful Julie. So glad you are able to have this time with your Mom. Sure, it would be better if circumstances were better, but so often we take for granted the good times and would never share moments like this if it weren't for the hardship.

Danica said...

Oh my I'm crying at my desk! It's all so true....we are never too old for our momma's hand. Treasure this time. I'm envious and happy for you all in the same breath.

LV said...

You shared your tender side to day. Mother's will always be there for you and never let go. That is just the way we are. A lot of touching memories. Julie, you are okay.

Tee aka The Diva's Thoughts said...

Man!! This makes me miss my mom so much. You are a lucky woman.

B said...

Okay, there. You went and did it. You made me cry.

linda said...

Your story tugged at my heart strings. You truly have been blessed to have a mom like yours.

dana said...

Oh lord. When I saw the photo, I thought "OH NO! And I wasn't there for her" and then I read with relief, then anguish for you.

AT LEAST you have those kind of memories!!!

Take my advice and enlarge that photo and have it PROFESSIONALLY matted and framed. You'll thank me for that advice years and years from now.

Soxy Deb said...

Why you wanna make me cry? I just come back and you gotta make me cry. Dang Jules...

Love her darlin, they're the only ones we get.

The Retired One said...

Such a sweet and poignant post..I have lost both of my parents now and I still recall the feeling of their hands in mine....

kel said...

I'm literally crying. A beautiful tribute to your mom!

AirmanMom said...

Beautiful words from a beautiful lady to a beautiful lady...
~AM

Christiejolu said...

Beautiful...So touching!

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

What a powerful post. It took me a day to get past the picture enough to read it. With a mother in a dementia unit...holding hands is very important to her...especially on days when she is not exactly sure who I am. She clings for dear life. You did a great job with this post. I cried through the whole thing.

rarejule said...

What a wonderful moment... with so many beautiful memories!