Friday, August 6, 2010

If time flies, when do I start having fun?



Look at the count down up at the top on the right..

My son *thinks* he's moving out in 40 days.

He doesn't realize I'm grounding him to his room til he's 30. LOL

40 days. 40 days are all I have left of my Mom Job. Now, I realize my parenting doesn't end when he moves out. But in a way it does. Things change. I won't know where he is and what he's doing and who he's doing it with all the time anymore.

(Humor me, I realize I only *think* I've known these things the past few years, but just go with me on this, ok?)

Chances are he's never going to move back home. Oh sure, he'll throw me a bone and come home on holidays and in the summertime (maybe...he's already considering staying in Cincinnati during the summer)....but more than likely after graduation he may not even come back to Columbus, or stay in Ohio.

So 40 more days are all I have until my life changes as much as his does.

If nineteen years have flown by this fast, 40 days will be over in the blink of an eye.

I'm not ready.

I need a wine IV. Stat.


8 comments:

Mellodee said...

When my daughter left for college the house was unbearably empty without her. I lived for her first visit home. She came home at Thanksgiving for 3 days, it was heaven. Then she went back to school and though I missed her, it was easier than that first departure. Next time home didn't come till Christmas when she was home for more than 2 weeks. By the end of the two weeks, I was kind of glad at the end of the second week that it wouldn't be much longer til the house was quiet again, and the telephone was for us again, and I didn't have to seriously "cook", and I could relax!

Moms are very nearly as adaptable as their kids!! :)

Liz said...

(((hugs)))

AirmanMom said...

it hurts. yep. no way around it.

what's funny (not ha-ha funny) is how painful it is AFTER a visit. a few days of enjoying the adults my kids have become, make me miss those days of kiddos so very much! then I remind myself, we are moms and logic is not expected.
be proud of the amazing young man you have raised, be proud he has chosen not to live in your basement the rest of his life and be proud of yourself for not hooking up the wine iv!
hugs!
~AM

bj said...

Ahhh, Julie girl...believe me, your "mom status" just makes a few changes, that's all. True, you don't know where they are...true, you don't know what they are doing but...your teachings, all those years, usually stays with them, so...it's lonely at first, but WE ARE MORE ADAPTABLE THAN YOU REALIZE.
You will do great !! and so will he!
xo bj

Vegas Linda Lou said...

I know you don't want to hear anything about the little bird leaving the nest.

gayle said...

When we dropped our daughter off at college only 2 hours away....I cried most of the way home. Being a mom is such a hard hard job!!!!

Danica said...

They grow up so fast. Enjoy the last 40 days with him home. I know things are going to change and I can only hope that he has one amazing future ahead of him.

Oz Girl said...

I can commiserate with you on this one... god, it's been 7 years since my son moved out. Hard to believe... in the meantime, he's married and recently they had a little girl, my first grandchild. I'll be 50 at the end of this year. WAHHHHH... time really needs to slow down, any day now.... just s.l.o.w...d.o.w.n.

I will say that once you get over the initial sadness of him departing, life does become rather interesting and full of fun... now you have so much time for YOU. :)