Friday, June 4, 2010

A sad update....

You may remember this post about my buddy Sarah's niece, Mattie.

I'm sad to tell you that little Mattie passed away Wednesday afternoon.

My thoughts and prayers are with Sarah's family as they deal with their loss.

Her obituary, in part, says:

On June 2, 2010 our precious Angel Mattie Elizabeth Powell age 5 of Fayette, OH earned her wings and flew home to be with the Lord. Mattie had a great day. She played, did crafts, took pictures and gave Mommy and Daddy Hugs and Kisses all before taking a nap. When she woke up she was in the presence of the Lord. Mattie fought a courageous 2 ½ year battle with brain and bone cancer. Mattie had a beautiful smile that filled the room with joy. She touched many lives in her short lifetime.

You can't leave a better legacy than that. Godspeed, beautiful girl.


16 comments:

Joanie M said...

My sincere condolences to her dear family.

Christiejolu said...

I am so sorry for your friends loss...I can't even express how this made me feel. My daughter is 5....I am truley sorry for your loss...

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

How sad! My thoughts and prayers go out to Mattie's family and friends.

AirmanMom said...

May God Bless this sweet angel and may God bring comfort to her family.
~AM

Danica said...

My heart just aches for Sarah and her family.

Tana said...

My sorrows to the family that were left behind, but my joy of the new angel of God.

Allison said...

I feel like someone just ripped my heart from my chest. My heart just aches for Sarah and her entire family. What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful little girl.

Tamara aka Cheapskate Mom said...

Wow. I am so sorry. Such a short life. I often wonder why something so awful as cancer even exists and why we can't seem to figure out how to zap that disease once and for all. So much suffering, esp in our children. I just don't understand why...

Prayers to her family.

Velveteen Rabbit said...

Heartfelt thoughts.....no words seem adequate x

jackie said...

Wow. No words can say what my heart is feeling. I'm praying for the family left behind.

Vegas Linda Lou said...

That's just so sad. Makes us put into perspective what's really important in life. My deepest sympathies to that sweet child's family.

Sarah said...

thank you julie. my family appreciates your kind words. mattie was a trooper and a fighter, and her last day was one of the best she had in a long time.

Under the Influence said...

:(

There are no words...

gayle said...

It is so hard to know what to say. It is truly so very sad!

jaded said...

What a sad update. Her poor parents...
I really think that children that come and lead very short lives come to serve us as teachers about courage, strength and compassion. I know that now there is no consolation for her parents, but in time I hope this will bring them some peace.

Donna B said...

I am so sad to hear about Matty. My prayers go out to all her family. It is just heart breaking.