Thursday, April 1, 2010

Don't mess with my food, people.


Designer fruit? Seriously?

From an ABC news story....

You may have heard of the pluot and the grapple, but now...the pineberry? A summer berry that looks like a white strawberry but tastes like a pineapple is going on sale in the United Kingdom this spring.

The pineberry is white, covered with red seeds and has the same genetic make-up as a strawberry, but has the taste and smell of a pineapple.

Pineberry The British supermarket chain Waitrose will sell the pineberries in 45 stores across the UK for the next five weeks while they are in season.

“Designer fruit” have gained popularity in the last decade, and in the United States alone it has become a $100 million business. These fruits are a product of cross-breeding, not genetic engineering.

The pineberry originated in South America as a wild variety of strawberry, and seven years ago Dutch farmers began growing the fruit commercially in glasshouses. The fruit turns from green to white with dark red seeds when ripe.

If my beloved watermelon turns yellow and becomes a waternana, we're gonna have a problem, folks.

10 comments:

Danica said...

LOL never heard about that! Interesting....it kind of sounds yummie.

Tee aka The Diva's Thoughts said...

I'm both weirded out and intrigued at the same time. Hmmmmm....

Southern Sage said...

I just posted some garden planting pics today and when I was getting seeds/plants they were out of Crimson Sweets watermelons (by far the best tasting) but they did have "yellow meat" crimsons. Said they taste the same but the meat is just yellow.

wtf?
yellow watermelon?

AirmanMom said...

yikes...at times I think we are too smart for our own good. We are capable of taking away such simple joys...like that of biting into a fresh strawberry. Can you believe we'll be talking of the good old days when a strawberry was a strawberry and a banana was a banana. Sadness!
~AM

Judy said...

Is this an April Fools joke??

Heather Awad said...

Wow, they almost look like vanilla candy coated strawberries with red speckles. Very intriguing! Thanks for sharing this.

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

I like the yellow meated watermellons. They are a tad bit sweeter than the red....but they still taste like watermellon...must admit the pineberry looks interesting.

Vegas Linda Lou said...

The only time I'm near fruit is when they're out of Guinness and the bartender puts a lime in my Corona.

gayle said...

I about died laughing at your waternana!!!Yuck!
The pineberry sounds pretty good!

Jean Maurie (angelsloveyou) said...

A waternana? That is a good one! Sounds a little musky though. LOL. I love your sense of humor. Also your blog is worth more than my web page and I've been online a lot longer - not blogging but my web page. I wouldn't mind if someone bought it for $14k though. Hope someone buys yours and you keep writing. Enjoy your cocktails by the pool :)