Monday, March 22, 2010

49 And Beige? Oh, I don't think so!

It's official.

I'm 49 today.

Or as I prefer to think of it....thirty nineteen.

Funny to think it's been almost two years already that I started this blog.

Way back when I was 47 and starting over.

Starting over from a very painful divorce.

Starting over as a shark bait (yes, I'm channeling my inner Jimmy Buffet...)

Can't you feel 'em circlin' honey?
Can't you feel 'em swimmin' around?
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
And you're the only bait in town.

The dating pool was a little scary, the few times I dipped my toe into it over the past few years. Part of that has been my fault, for as much as I've bitched about not meeting the kind of guy I'm looking for, truth is that I haven't been all that attentive when I have. 

Maybe that really isn't my priority after all.

Maybe I'm just looking for excitement in all the wrong places.

I've been talking with one of my friends recently about our lives, and how so often we feel "beige". Not unhappy, not happy. Just....beige.

I don't want to live life as a neutral shade during this second half of mine.

I want to be a vibrant color!

I want to be red! Or hot pink!

And that's my goal for my 49th year. (OK technically I think today starts my 50th year doesn't it? Ugh that hurt just typing it!)

I'm not going to be 49 and Beige.

I REFUSE.

I'm ready to find what makes me tick. What I'm passionate about. Figure out what brings me joy and fills me with light.  (Aside from my kid, that goes without saying that he has been the single best thing about my 48 years of life, or at least the last 19 of them)

I'm ready to wake up every day with an abundance of great things to choose from, to finally create the life I've been "waiting" for all this time..

Yes, waiting.

I feel like I've spent 48 years waiting for an exciting life to start. 

Well guess what, folks.

It starts today.

I'm not 49 and Beige. I never will be, dammit.

I'm 49 and I'm fucking RED HOT.

My future's so bright we all need Gucci shades.

Thanks for being along on this ride with me the past couple of years. Stay tuned, because this year I plan to have lots of new and exciting things to tell you.

Fuck beige.

35 comments:

Blissed-Out Grandma said...

Happy Birthday! And happy Not-Beige. It's a very good thing to discover new passions when you're 30-19. I look forward to hearing about your explorations.

Fragrant Liar said...

Beige is definitely not your color. Fiery is your color. Go forth and light up the world, sister.

Laura said...

Beige - no, so not your color! You're hotter than that and so at least a good red or sassy fuchsia! HA HA You look and act (write) great - go enjoy 49, you've earned it! Besides, you could be like me and 'german shepherd' black & white! (lol)

Secretia said...

Julie, I like your way of thinking.
Gofor it and take some man love to town!

Secretia

Anonymous said...

OH HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I am right behind you....I will be 49 on May 13th....yes, we are not beige...we are smokin' red hot!! Hopefully, this will be a great year for me too, since my divorce is on the horizon...

Jill from NY

Liz said...

Happy Birthday Julie! If anyone can do 49 and Red hot, it's YOU!!! Hope it's a fabulous one :)

My Aimless Infatuation said...

Happy Birthday Julie,Enjoy,Enjoy,Enjoy,and don't worry because your the type of woman that will never be old.

Danica said...

Happy birthday to you!!!

Kick that beige in the ass and get your red hot smoking ass out there!

Joanna Cake said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Allison said...

You are SO not beige! Happy birthday, red hot mama!!! May your 50th year be the best one yet!

LeeAnn said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! It's gonna be a great year for you, I can just feel it!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Julie!

Your just getting started so go out and enjoy it all but keep some bail money hidden so Jordan can get you out if needed.

Have fun

"E"

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Yes, yes, YES!!! What a wonderful attitude for starting a new year. Why not head toward the big 5-0 in blazing technicolor? Happy Birthday, dear friend! You're fabulous!

Keeping Up With Kaegan said...

First time commenter, long time reader. I love your outlook and "spice" towards the future. I think that is fantastic. Congrats to you, Happy Birthday, and fuck beige. :)

Ellen said...

Happy birthday! Age is just a number but BEIGE is a way of life. I think it's wonderful that you want a bright, vibrant color to be your way of life and that joy and finding your bliss is the name of your game! Good for you!

BR said...

Happy Birthday!! I've enjoyed reading your blog and relate quite a bit with you, having started over from a 21 year marriage 2 years ago myself. :) Hoping this year's the best one yet for you.

Jazzy Cazy said...

I think Mr Big from Sex and the City said it best, "Beige is Bullshit".

Have an amazing birthday - your life deserves to be red and firey hot and may it be so!! Have a great day!

xjcx

Tara said...

Happy Birthday and cheers to a RED HOT year!!

Cher' Shots said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!! Happy Birthday or better yet, if I were you I'd be telling people its the 29th anniversary of your 20th birthday!

Ace said...

Happy Birthday! I don't find you beige at all, but understand what you mean. I'm 45 and feel like I've been on hold the last 24 years while I've raised my kids and been a wife. Now I want to rediscover me and see what I'd like to do for the next 24 years. At the moment, I haven't a clue.

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

I have never been a beige girl....I am turquoise...or hot pink...or coral...any color but beige...heck even white has more impact. Glad to hear you are stepping up to the plate!

Apryl said...

Happy B-day! And not being beige is a good goal...at any age ;-)

Amy said...

Here's to a RED HOT birthday and a HOT PINK year! Happy birthday!

Julie said...

Thanks everyone for the good wishes!!!!

Christiejolu said...

Happy Birthday woman!!!

I love 30 19! That's great!

I wish you so much luck in finding what you are looking for. I know you will find it and be happy.

You are awesome and I hope I look half as good as you when I am 49!

CaJoh said...

Happy 30-19th! Way to rock it. Would not want you to be beige. Kind of reminds me of the character in 4 weddings and a funeral who always wore black, then decided that they would wear every color of the rainbow.

Way to step out into the light and embrace the color of the universe!

Grammie said...

Here's to a rainbow of colors starting today!

The Retired One said...

Happy Birthday HONEY!
DO IT!!!!

ain't for city gals said...

Get out there and go for it...I'm 30twenty seven...I have fought beige all my life....stay healthy, exercise and get out among them!! Honestly, I don't think many find it on the computer (though it is a nice place to veg out)..but that is not what you are looking for...is it?

dana said...

I've been beige all my life (except for that gray period). Never could pull off a red aura. I now have toadstools and fungus growing and the dust bowl is getting wrinkly.

AVENGE ME, YOU HOT PIECE OF POONTANG!!!

Think of me and try, try, try!

dana said...

I just realized I'm wearing a black sweater with a beige stripe in it on my photo. See?

gayle said...

You are definitely not beige!! You are a bright bright color!! Can't wait to see what this next year brings!!

Bagman and Butler said...

You made Bagman's day by saying he was your boyfriend!!! He wants to come over and give you a birthday spanking! Butler would not allow that, of course. So I just stopped by to wish you happy birthday from the three of us.

jaded said...

Oh Julie! I am so sorry i missed this post. Happy Belated birthday!

Erocka said...

Happy Birthday. I am new to your blog - I just wanted to reach out and tell you that I think you are amazing. I am about to embark on my 29th birthday and I feel rather beige. You are an inspiration.