Sunday, February 7, 2010

Well that didn't quite work out the way I'd planned.


So the Inaugural Comfort Zone Challenge was a bust!

It snowed here Friday and by evening we had somewhere between 8" and 10". Needless to say, I didn't venture out of my house comfort zone all evening.

And then Saturday I got the brilliant idea to shovel my driveway, as the weather forecasters insisted I should because the temp was going to drop into single digits last night and freeze it all.

So I did it.

And within two hours was flat on my back on the couch. There was no comfort zone to be had!

Yeah, people with three herniated disks really should not shovel snow.  Guess I should have waited on Jordan to get home from work.

I know better, I really do. But I'd been feeling all empowered with the whole CZ Challenge idea and my motivation carried over into feeling like Superwoman with a Shovel. 

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaad idea.

It got substantially worse when I realized my supply of pain meds was empty.

Sigh.

Several frantic phone calls to friends and family later, I got hooked up with some pharmaceuticals, and spent the rest of the day horizontal on my couch.

Today was better, I could at least walk upright, without crying like a girl too much pain.

So here I sit (yes, I can sit up now instead of laying down!) getting ready to watch the Super Bowl (Go Saints!), having an adult beverage (it's all good, I'm Vicodin free) and plotting my CZ Challenge event for the week.

I'll probably attempt the bar thing again Friday night.

I'll keep you posted.

21 comments:

blueviolet said...

I'm sorry you had the back injury!!! I hope next week is better!

Fragrant Liar said...

I'd say you were out of your comfort zone alright. Maybe next week, it'll be for reasons you can laugh about.

As far as the CZ thang, I'm right there with you. Next weekend, it's a friend's birthday party (stag), and then dinner and a movie with Me, Myself and I. They all want to see Avatar in 3D, so I guess they win. :)

The Retired One said...

I feel your pain! I had back surgery about 15 years ago for a herniated disk...but even now, I get back pain from the area where the scar tissue is...
ouch!
Take Care!!

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

I am so sorry you hurt your back. Shoveling snow not good. We are watching the Super Bowl right now...I love the commercials..however, the Who were a bit of a disappointment. When did they get old?

Chrissy said...

Oh no! That's why I hire a snow plow guy every year. Even if he comes once, it's worth it.

Feel better. :-)

gayle said...

So sorry about your back!! Glad you are feeling better. I agree you should wait for your son! Yea the Saints won!

Coffeypot said...

I had to shovel snow from in front of my van so I could drive home this morning. I felt it in my back, too. I had to sit in a certain way all the way home.

Anonymous said...

nice one, i just added up many some other new emo backgrounds 2 my blog
http://www.emo-backgrounds.info

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

Ouch! Sounds painful. Hope it is feeling better before too long.

Can't wait to hear how Friday goes for you. You can do it!

Kat @ www.TodaysCliche.com said...

Just loved this post... coming from SITS. Random, but are you going to Bloggy Boot Camp in Baltimore?

LeeAnn said...

And that would be why I refuse to shovel snow. I hope you are feeling better.

Danica said...

I hope you're feeling better today. No shoveling snow!!!!!I can send LW over if Jordan isn't home...okay!!!

Tee aka The Diva's Thoughts said...

This snow shoveling deal is for the birds!! I arm hurts so bad from all this shoveling.

I'm done! I'm moving to Miami baby!!!!

Tamara aka Cheapskate Mom said...

Who needs a bar? If I were you I'd be googling a good chiropractor. By google I mean looking for a hot male chiropractor! hubba hubba

Thanks for giving me yet another reason to be happy I am not in my house quite yet. I haven't had to shovel since being in this darned apt!

Hope you are feeling better!

My Aimless Infatuation said...

"people with three herniated disks really should not shovel snow" or bowl or ride amusement park rides or get in sport cars to low to the ground or carry their grandchildren on their hip too long,ect. Back problems really do suck don't they? A good roll in the hay would probably kill me these days but I'd die happy. Good luck this weekend.

Ace said...

Sorry you had such a time of it with your back, but hope you're feeling even better today. We've been going through it with my daughter's back lately...trying to figure out what's causing the pain. No fun.

Miss Fanny said...

Ouch. Definitely a CZ moment. Love your blog and can totally relate to your stories. I am looking forward to being a faithful follower!

AirmanMom said...

Ouch! We received 30 inches of snow this past weekend....needless to say a heating pad has become my best friend! We are expecting another 10-20 inches of snow today...thank goodness for those 'thera-thingies' to wear on my back while shoveling :)
Take it easy, my friend!
~AM

jadded said...

Awww Julie. I'm so sorry you were feeling so out of it. 3 herniated disks? oh, that must be excruciating. i'm glad you got your hands on some meds.

isn't it wonderful that the saints won????

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

Hope you're starting to feel better. I know all about bad backs.

I had kids for the sole reason so that I wouldn't have to shovel. They come in handy in the winter, that's for darn sure.

Linda Medrano said...

Oh Girl! Been there, done that! It takse me about a week to get back to 1/2 human. Get better, and NO MORE shoveling for a spell. Promise!