Sunday, February 28, 2010

I didn't mean to break your heart....

I have a new favorite song.

It's called 'Break Your Heart' and it's by Barenaked Ladies. (I guess it's an old song of theirs, but I just found it. I'm not a big BNL fan but Elizabeth turned me on to it.)

It's basically about staying too long in a relationship and not having the balls to say "This isn't working" and move on because you don't want to hurt the other person.

But maybe the other person will be okay because they'd rather have you end it than continuing wasting their time.

I really identify with this song in many ways.

One part in particular says...

The weakest thing I've ever done was to stay right by your side
Just like this time, and every time


I'm about ready to have that phrase tattooed on my body right above my "Faith" tattoo to remind me that I am stronger than that now.

Anyway, without further ado, I give you my new favorite song. Words to follow, in case you don't have time to listen to it.



The bravest thing I've ever done
Was to run away and hide
But not this time, not this time
And the weakest thing I've ever done
Was to stay right by your side
Just like this time, and every time
I couldn't tell you I was happy when you were gone
So I lied and said that I missed you when we were apart.
I couldn't tell you, so I had to lead you on
But I didn't mean to break your heart.

And if I always seem distracted
Like my mind is somewhere else,
That's because it's true
Yes it's true
it's this stupid pride that makes me feel
Like I have to follow through
Even half-assedly, loving you
Why must I always speak in terms of cowardice?
When I guess I should have just come out and told you right from the start
Why must I always tell you what I want is this?
I guess cause I wouldn't want to break your heart

And you said;
"What'd you think that I was gonna do,
Curl up and die just because of you?
I'm not that weak, you know
What'd you think that I was gonna do,
Try to make you love me as much as I love you?
how could you be so low?
You arrogant man,
What do you think that I am?
My heart will be fine
Just stop wasting my time"

And now I'm over you, I'll be ok
And that i've got what I want
And that's rid of you
Bye
And it's not cause I'll be missing you
That makes me fall apart
it's just that I didn't mean to break
Your heart

11 comments:

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

That song could've been sung to me by my ex although he would've had to add a few choruses of begging me back after he realized what he lost was gone.

Secretia said...

I know it, the words are good, the song sounds great.

Secretia

LeeAnn said...

Great Song!

Danica said...

You are stronger than you know!

I do not like BNL but I could learn to like that song!

CJDehner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
STILLMAGNOLIA said...

That song could have been about me...I stayed married 23 years because I just could not say goodbye. Thanks for sharing.

Linda Medrano said...

Once in a while, I really listen to the words of a song and realize the brilliance behind the words. This is indeed one of them! Thanks so much for posting this, and yeah, you are stronger than you know!

The Retired One said...

Great lyrics...really great.

Anonymous said...

Hello i'm new on your board but i cant read correctly a message. Bug in you site ? Thanks you

Kim and Dave said...

Love BNL, love that song. I hear them perform it in Toronto and it made me cry. There's a lot going on in that song.

anne h said...

We could learn a lot from bare naked ladies...
The song was cool, too!
:D