Thursday, January 7, 2010

Sixty and Sensational


That is what my sister Linda would have been today.

Sixty....(she'd have not been happy that I was blogging her age!) and sensational, which she was all of her life.

She was so many things in addition to that. She loved life and everything about it.

She loved her family...



(Yes, that's me with really red hair!)

She loved our beach vacations...




(This is probably the ONLY time you will see me in a bathing suit!)

She loved her nieces and nephews, especially when us girls would do stupid things like put fake tattoos on our ankles during the aforementioned beach vacations.



(Although I did have a real one at this point...)

And she really loved Jordan. From the time he was a baby, she was his "Nina" (he couldn't say Linda when he was little, so he called her Nina, and then it sorta stuck as a description of who she was to him....as in "that's my Nina". And he was Gordo....(not really my favorite nickname for Jordan!) and I was "The Jewel".



I know I tell you guys all the time how much I miss her. I can tell you with total honesty that time doesn't heal anything, it just helps you accept your new normal without someone. I think of Linda every day, and I feel her with me all the time. There is a very big hole in our family where she should be, and our lives have never been the same without her. And I miss her like nobody's business.

So today, I hope she's in heaven with a glass box of her favorite red wine, a pack of Merit cigarettes, and some Carly Simon blaring on the radio, and celebrating her sixty wonderful years. Because while she may not have been here for all of it, she has never left our hearts.

Cheers, sis. And Happy Birthday. Sixty. Geesh.

Love, The Jewel and Gordo.





21 comments:

Fragrant Liar said...

I hear ya, Julie. Thought of my own baby sister today and got choked up. I get it, it doesn't feel like much of any healing's been going on.

Happy birthday to Linda. I'm guessing my sister is up there near her and they are bumping a box of wine against a Budweiser and having a good laugh.

Hugs,
Kimber

Janie at Sounding Forth said...

My brother would be 63. i miss him every day.

Hearts to you, Julie. And Happy Birthday, Linda!

chocdrop said...

Your description of you don't get past it but you get used to life without someone is so accurate.
Happy birthday Linda

Anonymous said...

oh Julie, I totally understand, that is the way I feel about my mother...she was a pistol and everybody (and I mean everybody) loved her!! I miss her every day and it hurts so bad that my son never knew her or her him. I have tears in my eyes right now thinking about it!!

oh and my mother will be having a whiskey sour with your sister!!

now my mascara is running....


Jill from NY

Lee the Hot Flash Queen said...

That was a beautiful post to her. Happy Birthday to your sister, and may all your memories of her be wonderful.

Secretia said...

It is a sad, but beautiful rememberance..

Danica said...

Thanks for the tears!!!! I completely understand what you mean about having a hole in your family. HUGS

My Mom would have been 70 this April.

BTW I love the red hair!

The Peach Tart said...

"So today, I hope she's in heaven with a glass box of her favorite red wine, a pack of Merit cigarettes, and some Carly Simon blaring on the radio, and celebrating her sixty wonderful years. Because while she may not have been here for all of it, she has never left our hearts."

What a wonderful tribute. She sounds like a phenomenal woman.

Ashley @ The Happy Little Home said...

Thinking of you today :)

LeeAnn said...

I totally understand. And if you read my post today, you'll know why.

Such a beautiful rememberance of her. Happy Birthday Linda!

Julie said...

Well, it looks like all our loved ones are up there just partying it up! Budweiser, whiskey sours, wine, cigs. Sounds like they are all having fun and looking down here at us working and saying..."Suckers!" LOL

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Wonderful post Julie!
Happy birthday Linda!!

I wish I didn't understand this post so well.

A Warm hug to you Julie.

My Aimless Infatuation said...

Ditto Julie,I have a few loved ones that I'm sure are attending THAT party.............signed,one of the suckers,lol.

AirmanMom said...

Hugs to you, Julie!
~AM

Helen said...

Truly lovely, Ms. Julie!

dana said...

I lost both parents, but nothing hurt like losing my brother. He is spoken of so often and the hole he left NEVER gets filled. Time just wears us down, it never heals.

Blissed-Out Grandma said...

Beautiful post.

Joanie M said...

Happy Birthday Nina!

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

I know that Linda is enjoying her party with all the partygoers there. Just think, they can party and not worry about hangovers.

The Retired One said...

Awwww. What a nice tribute to her.
I am sure she is smiling down on you and sending you {{hugs}} from above.

jaded said...

i loved looking at the photos - and yes i agree with you that time does not heal like we wish it did.