Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Odds and Ends aka Family Life

How can it be December 1st???? What happened to fall? It's suddenly 35 degrees again and getting colder by the day. Ugh. NOT ready for this. I miss my flip flops.

I got the Christmas tree up this weekend. It's not like it's a three hour ordeal to do. More like a three minute event.

A couple of years ago I gave up the big tree thing and now have a cute little four foot tree that sits in my bay window for the holidays. January 1st I throw a bag over the top of it, and put it in the garage, and after Thanksgiving, I bring it in the house, take the bag off, and put it in the window! Voila....Xmas decorating done.

It works out really well for us, my living room isn't that big and there really isn't anyplace to put a normal sized tree without moving furniture out, etc. And since Santa doesn't stop by our house anymore now that my son is grown, there is no need for room on the floor for toys under the tree. So our tree is in the window, and the lights look pretty from outside so the neighbors get to enjoy it as well.

Here's a picture, it's not easy to see it but it's really pretty, I swear. And look, I even have presents wrapped and under it already!!!



In other news, we were able to bring Mom home for Thanksgiving. It was really nice to have her there. She's been doing really well recently, they took her off of a medicine that she was on, and it's made a big difference in her. Her memory is better, she's more alert, and she's not sleeping nearly as much.

Here are some pictures from Thanksgiving....

This is me, my sister Patty, my Mom and my sister Sue Ellen (for the record, I'm in some serious pain in this pictures. I hurt my back bad trying to help get Mom into the car about an hour before these were taken, and it hurt so much that my son would literally have to grab my hands and pull me up from where I was sitting in these pictures because I could not stand up on my own!):





Me and Mom:




Mom giving her favorite daughter a kiss:



Mom and her grandchildren:




This one made me laugh, this is my sister Patty's three children....Molly, who is an attorney in Virginia; Josh who is in Ohio State's Veterinary School, and Maggie who works for AFI, and their pets. The two German Shepherds are Thelma and Louise, and they belong to Josh, and the black dog is Scarlett, Maggie's dog. We jokingly call them all Patty's granddogs.




And last but not least, this is a picture I scanned of Jordan tonight, when he was about four years old. Look at that face...it's always been one of my favorite pictures.



I think that's it. I'll stop boring you with family photos now!

19 comments:

R. Jacob said...

Lovely pictures, and you look wonderful.

Liz said...

So glad your mom is doing better and she got to come home for thanksgiving!

Danica said...

I am so happy to hear your Mom is doing better. Always saying a little prayer for her.

Looks like you had a great Thanksgiving. Love the tree idea with the bag and wheeling it to the garage. Too funny!!!!

Happy December 1st!

OHN said...

Not boring at all! Why is it that we all like to look at other peoples pix?

That last photo of your son cracks me up. How could you ever get mad at that face??? :)

You tree is much prettier than mine. Every year I want to "dress up" our tree and the boys have a fit.

I am glad you got to have your Mom around for Thanksgiving.

Sue said...

Oh Julie, I'm so glad your Mom was able to share Thanksgiving with everyone. She's so darn cute!

I've heard so many horror stories lately of older folks simply being overmedicated, and the seeming miracles that happen when removed from so many drugs. Definitely something to keep a close eye on.

And Josh is hot, and a dog lover to boot! Yum. ;)

AirmanMom said...

Julie...this was not a boring post at all! I do hope your back is feeling better, yikes...I know that pain all too well.
You are ever so blessed with a beautiful family!
~AM

LeeAnn said...

Love the tree! Now could ya come over and put mine up? haha Nice pictures - Sue Ellen and Patty look great. Hope your back feels better. And glad to hear that your mom is doing a lot better.

Lee the Hot Flash Queen said...

Your tree is beautiful and your family is beautiful and the dog is hilarious!!

Gaston Studio said...

So glad that your mom is doing well Julie and I'm not the least bit bored by your family photos dear girl, they're priceless.

We also have an artificial tree that's a bit bigger than yours and it lives about 350 days each year in our walk up attic with old sheets thrown over it to keep the dust off. Thank God for walk up attics!

Tiffany said...

I like your tree. I do the same with our little one at work. It sits decorated year round in the mail room. LOL

And I love looking at pics. So shut your pie hole!

gayle said...

Thanks for sharing your family pics. You are so lucky to be able to spend time with your mom! You son was a cutie,,,still is!!

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

Yup, you sure look like you're in pain in those photos. Poor you. I know only too well back pain. It can be awful.

So glad your mom got to spend Thanksgiving with the family! And I'm even happier that she is feeling better!!

Fragrant Liar said...

Good news about your mom and her meds. Glad you got to spend some time with her and the rest of the family. You're looking good in those pics, even if your back is killing you!

The Queen Of Re said...

Your Tree looks beautiful. Present are wrapped???!!! I have not even started.....SHOPPING

The Retired One said...

Beautiful family, honey!
And just LOOK at your mama...she looks adorable!!

Scandalous Housewife said...

I love family pics!!! The tree looks fantastic!! I'm putting the finishing touches on my Xmas madness right now...

Bagman and Butler said...

Family photos aren't boring! Looks like a wonderful Thanksgiving.

dana said...

That's the only kind of tree you need.....if you NEED one at all. Our Charlie Brown tree sits in the basement under a garbage bag.

I loved the photos!!

Are your walls yellow?? Send me info. That's what I'm doing when I come home!

jaded said...

lovely christmas tree. i sort of pulled a similar thing last year for this year. i HATE putting lights on the tree - it's like i am challenged when it comes to that. so last year i said 'f*ck it' and just threw the tree back in the box last year with the lights still on.

i just put up my tree a few days ago and i almost shouted in surprise when the lights worked. you know how sensitive they can be.

lovely thanksgiving photos. i had a wonderful holiday too. lots of family!